Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2006, 08:21 AM   #31
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

When I purchased the first Harry Potter book from Amazon UK, it was definitely the UK variety.
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 08:33 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Amazon lets you buy either the UK or US versions; they have different ISBNs (and, of course, in the case of the first book in the series, different titles!). By default, "amazon.co.uk" offers you the UK version and "amazon.com" the US version.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2006, 09:31 AM   #33
BettyE
Connoisseur
BettyE doesn't litterBettyE doesn't litter

Device: Rocket eBook / Sony PRS-500 / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
Could you explain what you mean by a "book light", Betty? I'd be interested in a "lighting solution" for the Reader, if anyone has any specific recommendations!
Harry -

I bought the #3 LED light that diabloNL referred to in the thread that NatCh mentioned.

Depending on how I positioned it, there was sometimes a slight glare but, overall, very good, extremely tiny and flat, so it is easy to carry in my purse.

Betty
BettyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 09:39 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Betty! Appreciate the feedback.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:58 AM   #35
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
She actually lives in the Republic of Ireland, not the UK .
(smacks forhead) I ought to know better, living as I do, in the Republic of Texas. I guess that's the 'American' momentarily overriding the 'Texan' -- you know: temporary insanity.

Quote:
"car park" ... "letter box" ... "trainers"....
See, none of those would bother me, and I actually already knew what the Philosopher's Stone was so I was a bit disappointed in the title differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Moates
I read at a "verbal" speed--basically reading out loud in my head.
My brain runs much faster than my mouth can keep up with -- sometimes that's a really good thing, I'd say reading aloud slows me down about 65%. I don't consider myself a speed reader, but I do seem to read faster than average. (it took me a week to read Battlefield Earth's 1066 pages, my brother did it in 3.5 days, probably just to annoy me )

Quote:
It also might be a difference in learning styles. On the visual/verbal scale, I'm decidedly visual, so the differences between UK and US spellings are more noticable.
Kinesthetic learner myself, both visual and written but I have to do something to really 'get' it.

Quote:
Also, I'm an above-average speller (probably in the top 10%), so maybe that's why I notice it more.
Now there you might be onto something. I'm a crummy speller, I once misspelled my own name signing a birthday card ... for my mother. Programming has had an effect on that though, I'm now much more consistent in my misspellings ('cause variable names don't have to be spelled right, just the same), and if I actually get a spelling correct in my head, I'm pretty likely to spell the word correctly from then on.

I've actually thought about buying the UK versions of HP just to compare the differences in the language. So far, I haven't felt the spirit move me enough to do that yet.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2006, 12:33 PM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
(smacks forhead) I ought to know better, living as I do, in the Republic of Texas. I guess that's the 'American' momentarily overriding the 'Texan' -- you know: temporary insanity.
Even we have trouble keeping straight what's what when it comes to the UK/Ireland thing, so I don't blame you in the slightest .