Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-18-2006, 02:24 PM   #46
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Via SD. In this case the reader acts as a viewer, and it's screen is bigger than a pda's.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:34 PM   #47
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Heaven forbid I should steer you away from an e-ink device, Yvan... but I think maybe it might not be the best way to do those business things. It may be a pain to keep all the right docs on it, and to navigate to them. Your clients would lose interest by the time you got to the next drawing or contract. And the screen is probably a bit smaller than you might want.

It's really awesome for reading a novel from front to back, but for random and frequent navigation across documents and pages, the e-ink is just too slow, in my opinion.

A UMPC or small laptop or small tablet would seem to be pretty good for those kinds of activities, and would be a lot of fun when you are not with clients also! But much more expensive.

Alas, so far there is no great universal solution for computing and presenting and reading etc etc.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2006, 02:39 PM   #48
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Bob! I was'nt aware that navigating the PRS was so arduous.

Maybe if we pester Fittila long enough we might get something decent?
Old 10-18-2006, 02:39 PM   #49
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp
But you can already do this with existing handhelds, or even just a usb storage device.
If those solutions worked for what he needed, I imagine that yvanleterrible would already be using them, and not hanging around MR with the rest of us loonies (of which I count myself looniest).

Though, I agree with Bob that a Tablet PC might be a better fit than any of the current e-ink devices....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:55 PM   #50
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Good point, but I got the impression - which Yvan le Terrible's previous email now confirms - that Yvan did not actually have an ereader, and was assuming it served that purpose. Business stuff of that sort is for a computer of some sort, I think, and not a reading device, as BobR states.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2006, 02:54 PM   #51
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
da_jane's idea to "brand" the device with a popular niche is a good one... I hadn't thought of a sci-fi or romance tie-in myself. I've suggested the same thing elsewhere on this site about newspapers and, by extention, monthly magazines.

How 'bout a reader branded with Popular Science, or Cosmo, or Time, or Car and Driver, for example? Possibly even a reader tied into a subject-promo package (example, Popular Science, Scientific American, and Science Digest... the weekly news magazines... or the Marvel Comics collections).

Of course, a color reader would go a long way here... and it might be that the color reader WILL be the one that sells, branded or not. But branding and/or tying it in with content should reduce the price, which would be a BIG help.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:07 PM   #52
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
It's also a generational thing, I think. A number of older friends of mine will throw their hands up in horror at the thought of ebooks ("oh, I could never read anything on that!") and say how much they love regular books. It makes no sense to me. We're talking mass market paperbacks here, not beautiful photo gravure coffee table books. Who can really be in love with acidic tree pulp???

That said, I'll add that DRM is still a major drawback and probably the biggest argument against ebooks. With a regular book I can read it over and over, lend it to a friend, even sell it used if I have to. Not so with ebooks. (Though, as an author, I also don't want a person buying my book then making 300 copies for their closest friends. That's where the ebook/regular book comparison breaks down and the need for some sort of DRM pops up.)

I can't imagine a student preferring to lug around 75 lbs of text books when the same information can be had on an SD card and an iLiad or Sony eReader (or equivalent). The downfall of currently available formats is lack of annotation (some people are sooo addicted to highlighting) but with color e-ink and faster devices, I think that problem will eventually be solved.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 02:48 PM   #53
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
It seems as though this thread is maybe a tad off-topic.....allow me to add to the wobble.

So, e-ink/e-paper is pretty much a laminated cover sheet with pretty moving words.

If e-texts are to be universally appreciated and utilised, these conditions much exist:

1. a universal, compact, durable, simple reader. e.g. a single sheet of e-paper that one can fold, spindle (but not mutilate) that fits into a purse or back pocket, with about 64 MB of storage (that's a few novels, some service manuals, dirty pictures, and the latest copy of wired & WSJ, I think?)

2. Absolutely do restrictions such as DRM. The data must be free--to travel to & from my e-paper notepad, my laptop, my PDA, my wife's gadgets, and the ones owned by all my friends

3. New, topical, and interesting content much be cheap, or cheap as free. RSS feeds, newspaper subscriptions, Rowling's latest novel, &tc must cost no more than paper equivalents

4. Someone explains to everyone on the planet that we can stop using so many tress (paperless world my lovin'.....) and rather turn dead dinosaurs into nifty little displays that's we'll effortlessly carry around for 10+ years

Oh! And make sure that everyone can still read and enjoys reading by 2050
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 03:36 PM   #54
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
Cthulhu, I especially love that last line! Sadly, that's probably going to be the biggest hurdle for e-books in a generation or two.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:43 AM   #55
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"Print is dead."
-Dr. Egon Spengler, 1984 (look it up)

I think we should all give up on the idea that, in the future, people won't be able to read. They'll have to read! If they can't read, they can't learn... if they can't learn, they can't become engineers and scientists... if there are no engineers and scientists, we sure as hell won't have any e-book readers around!

People still need to read, in order to function in the society we've been grooming for the past 3000 years.

Now, making sure they enjoy it requires compelling content. I think the content is there, though it needs expansion (more e-magazines and e-newspapers, for example... print mags and print-and-online newspapers are enjoying successful sales now, and I think their e-versions will ultimately sell better than e-fiction), leaving DRM and price as the only real hurdles here.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 10-29-2006 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:55 AM   #56
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan
"Print is dead."

I think we should all give up on the idea that, in the future, people won't be able to read. They'll have to read! If they can't read, they can't learn... if they can't learn, they can't become engineers and scientists... if there are no engineers and scientists, we sure as hell won't have any e-book readers around!

People still need to read, in order to function in the society we've been grooming for the past 3000 years.

Now, making sure they enjoy it requires compelling content. I think the content is there, though it needs expansion (more e-magazines and e-newspapers, for example... print mags and print-and-online newspapers are enjoying successful sales now, and I think their e-versions will ultimately sell better than e-fiction), leaving DRM and price as the only real hurdles here.
Until brain wave interpretation or perfect speech recognition enable connection to a net, the written word is the ultimate learning tool
Old 10-29-2006, 08:04 PM   #57
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

Quote:
"Print is dead."
From Ghostbusters?!

Quote:
Well, the difference is you'll either stand under a clear dome and absorb the material, a la Spock's Brain, or you'll quick shuffle through the pages and yelp, a la "Mork from Ork."

tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:30 AM   #58
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
To take the thread even farther off topic:

Language, many sociologists argue, is the basis of thought. At least, organised human thought. A written language is a good way to ensure proper propogation of data. Reading & Writing are wholly artificial, human adaptations. I do not believe one needs to know how to read or write in order to think or learn, but it certainly helps. (I might be splitting hairs there).

On another point:
Was watching TV today with some friends today, and when I mentioned the neat technology of e-ink & the SONY reader, one said "who reads anymore?" Not one of my friends could explain how there's this thing called the NY Times Best Seller list, which compiles the names of *millions* of books sold. I guess my friends think its some kind of scam or money laundering front. Hope everyone else's friends have more brains than an iguana.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:31 PM   #59
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

And as that example indirectly suggests, there's no point to the NYT Best Seller List without the New York Times, one of the widest-read publications on the planet, and reread every day. There are a lot of newspapers out there being read, in print or online, by somebody. Likewise a lot of news and specialty magazines. People are reading. They're just reading less fiction, leaving that to movies and TV.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:00 PM   #60
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcv
From Ghostbusters?!
I'm glad somebody got it.

Unfortunate that I'm proving my own point about what people are reading by citing a movie reference...