Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 06:59 AM   #1
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Fictionwise - not a real deal, but possibly a good deal?

Thought I'd post this here just to see what happens.

Short version:

If you go to this link:

https://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b...ter-Robinson/?

you will supposedly be able to order the new Peter Robinson collection of short stories and novellas for just $1.99.

But Beware! - Fictionwise are falsely advertising it as the complete book, whereas it is just one story. I ordered it and complained, so I am awaiting their response.

Long Version:

I was browsing for some new releases by one of my favourite detective writers, Peter Robinson (author of the Inspector Banks series). His output has been slender of late, but there has just been a release of short stories that contain a couple of Banks novellas. I wouldn't normally waste my time with a collection like this (after all his last collection "Not Safe After Dark" was less than stellar), but his Banks novels are superb.

I came across the book at Fictionwise (above link) and decided to take a chance and grab it for just $1.99, as advertised. The publishers have released the whole book, as well as individual stories (not sure of this is a good or bad idea, but I guess for this kind of book it's maybe a good idea?). Anyway, the stories are usually $1.99 and the novellas $5.99 (or something like that).

Fictionwise claim this is the whole book - if you look at their page they describe various stories within the book:

Quote:
eBook Description: From the New York Times bestselling author comes a riveting collection of short fiction, marked by the piercing psychological insight and brilliant characterization that are hallmarks of his acclaimed novels Ever since the publication of his first mystery featuring Detective Inspector Alan Banks, Peter Robinson has been steadily building a reputation for compulsively readable and perceptive novels that probe the dark side of human nature. Plumbing the territory that he has so successfully staked, The Price of Love and Other Stories includes two novellas and several stories featuring the Yorkshire policeman at his finest. In the novella "Going Back," never before published in the United States, Banks returns home for a family reunion, only to find it taking a decidedly sinister turn. In "Like a Virgin," written especially for this volume, Banks revisits the period in his life and the terrible crime that led him to leave London for Eastvale. And in between, the disparate motives that move us to harm one another, from love and jealousy to greed and despair, are all explored with fascinating depth. Edgy and smart, thrilling and suspenseful, this remarkable collection is a must-have for Robinson fans--and any fan of compelling crime fiction.
They also list the various format ISBNs:

Quote:
EPUB ISBN: 9780061979118
Mobipocket Reader ISBN: 9780061938092
eReader ISBN: 9780061979118
The Mobi one matches those for the complete book on other sites (the individual title story has a completely different ISBN) - although bizarrely, Fictionwise don't actually offer the Mobi format here.

So anyway, I figure they advertised the complete book and should provide it to me for just $1.99 - they still haven't updated their page, so other brave souls may wish to take advantage of this oversight as well, but be warned, the download is only one story and I do not yet know if Fictionwise will honour the info on their page - so just remember, caveat emptor...
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:05 AM   #2
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Fictionwise came through and provided me with the correct (i.e. complete) eBook of "The price of Love and other stories" by Peter Robinson. Great customer service Fictionwise!

This eBook is still advertised as only $1.99 on fictionwise:

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b9...ter-Robinson/?

As they don't seem to be in any hurry to correct the info on the page above (still whole book for $1.99, based on the description), I would encourage interested readers to take advantage of this error. Based on my experience, you can order the eBook and you will get a download link for just the single story. Then write to fictionwise and tell them it is the wrong book based on the info in the eBook page (link above - I printed a PDF of the page just in case they changed it later). Then they will send you the link for the full eBook as that is what is advertised.

Enjoy!
Advert
Old 02-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Unfortunately my dealings with Fictionwise have been very unsatisfying, and it's gotten much worse since B&N bought it. Everybody fell asleep at the wheel when they got their fat payoff. Avoid.

Scott Nicholson
The Skull Ring coming March 1
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:24 AM   #4
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
My dealings with Fictionwise have been excellent. Their customer service is slow as molasses, but they always get the problem solved and cheerfully. And I've had a ton of problems. Several books I bought were linked to the wrong book on download. Other books gave me a message that they weren't available. One book had such poor formatting that it was unreadable, essentially one long paragraph. Fictionwise either corrected the problem or refunded my money in every case. You just have to be patient as it might take them a week or so to get back to you.

The slowness of the customer service could be an issue, but they are so much cheaper for books than anyplace else, as long as you massage the system correctly, that it's well worth it to me.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
orwell2k
Addict

Their regional restrictions have been tightened up recently also. I have over $15 in micropay rebates to use, and wanted to buy a book but it is only available in the US and Canada. In the past, I just set my country to US when I needed to. Now when I do that I get an error saying my order location does not match my account info. I guess they can detect I'm not in US.

These region restrictions are as insidious and evil as DVD or BluRay regions, and should be outmanoeuvred whenever possible. I haven't yet figured out as workaround for this latest restriction system but I will certainly be avoiding Fictionwise for all future sales as a protest, unless I absolutely have no other option...
Advert