Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-09-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
My new Reader from TigerDirect is HERE!

What should I do with it?? - hahaha

How shall I use it? (context: I already have a fully functional unit I bought in December.)

Should I leave it in the bathroom?
Shall I take it to a bookstore?
Should I pack it up?
Shall I leave it in the bedroom?
Should I rent it out to someone?
Shall I drool uncontrollably?

What should I do?

(For anyone with a creative imagination, you should know RIGHT NOW that it doesn't fit!)

Did anyone here sort out the questions on whether I should(or not) activate this unit on the computer I already use for my other Reader, so that I can (among other things) be eligible for any kind of Connect credit for books?

Any clarifications on these issues would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-09-2007 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Forgot to add my questions/concerns
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Use it to promote ebooks.
Just lend it to someone you know with a couple of books they might like. Then be a sadist and take it away.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
MacBeezle
Zealot
MacBeezle began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPad, Sony Reader PRS-500U2. Soon: Kindle 4
As you don't know what to do with it I'd recommend you sell it on eBay and donate the money for a social project.
I'd prefer one that helps kids.
MacBeezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Use them side-by-side to simulate a two-paged Reader...
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 04:50 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Did anyone here sort out the questions on whether I should(or not) activate this unit on the computer I already use for my other Reader, so that I can (among other things) be eligible for any kind of Connect credit for books?
Well, I don't know if I have anything to add to those extremely helpful comments ....

There's no technical reason you shouldn't add it to your existing account -- you will still get the credit, and that will let you share ConnStore books between the two units without any acrobatics.

If you have a reason that you don't want to share ConnStore books between them, then you should start a second account. Personally, I wouldn't want that kind of complication, but your an adult, you can decide that for yourself.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2007, 05:02 PM   #6
macanima
macanima began at the beginning.

Device: ETI-2 (equiv. of eBookwise 1150)
Sell it to me? Or save it, my birthday's coming up in October.
macanima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
yomer
yomer began at the beginning.

Device: None
Shame on you

Dr. Drib... so you're one of those who bought the Reader without needing it, leaving others out in the cold! Shame on you. You're laughing your a$# off while some people who actually want to own their first one didn't get a chance.
yomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:59 PM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey, he didn't buy half a dozen and e-bay them, he bought a second one for his and his family's actual use, that's just a little better on the "naughtiness scale" in my book.

Technically speaking, a case could be made that none of us needs even one, but that's something else entirely.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:03 PM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Congratulations Doctor. It is cheap insurance against breakage. Now you can take one unit with you when you leave the house so that you can read elsewhere.

I would follow NatCh's suggestion and activate it on the same account as your prior Reader.

You have contributed so much to the MobileRead community through your postings and wonderfully formatted book uploads, you well deserve a second Reader.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:06 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Did you see the happy faces and understand the sense of humor in my post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomer View Post
Dr. Drib... so you're one of those who bought the Reader without needing it, leaving others out in the cold! Shame on you. You're laughing your a$# off while some people who actually want to own their first one didn't get a chance.
I see no humor in your post whatsoever.

I've worked my ass off assembling books for myself and for this community because I think this Reader has a real chance to succeed and to open up for ebook enthusiasts (and for people who yet don't know what ebooks are about), to be a real and viable alternative to the way we read books. This unit MIGHT be the breakthrough ebook Reader that opens up ebooks for the general public. Don't be surprised if, in a few years, one can go to a bookstore's kiosk and simply download the new book that is available. IT CAN HAPPEN, and I'm hopeful. -- It's hard work putting these ebook titles together and no one forces me to do it; and yet, I love the sense of accomplishment I get from my successes and lament the failures that sometimes occur.

I'm going to help you, however: I bought this second unit because I feel a need to own two in case the first one goes bad. I paid a lot of money for the first one and then the second one was suddenly available and CHEAP, the way it should have been in the first place.

I will most certainly use it as a second unit.

This will be the absolute end of discussion FROM ME on why I purchased my second unit.
-----------------------------------------------------

On another matter entirely: The concensus seems to be to activate on my computer where the first one has been activated, ASSUMING I CAN INDEED GET MY CREDIT FOR BOOKS.
-----------------------------------------------------

Know that I will defend myself when "attacked."

Let's keep this a kind and generous community.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-09-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:08 PM   #11
yomer
yomer began at the beginning.

Device: None
Well, after reading his post he didn't seem to be really needing a second Reader. You're right, but I can't still get over those who ordered two or more just because they were cheap or because they're going to profit from them. I should fall under the category of people who need it. I like to read in english. I'm from Mexico and I can't afford to travel so often to buy books to read, since there is no english content bookstore in town. Besides, my future wife would surely benefit from the Reader too, since she likes to read in english too.

*Edit* You're right Doc, I apologize for my earlier post.

Last edited by yomer; 07-09-2007 at 06:12 PM.
yomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:18 PM   #12
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
One thing to keep in mind, these things do tend to drain the battery, even when not in use, so if you're going to use one as a spare, make sure they weren't charged up at the same time or you might ended up with two dead Readers just when you're getting to the interesting parts. Mine has sat dormant for a few weeks while I read a few PB's I couldn't get in e-format and I was quite surprised at how relatively quickly the battery drained while it was just sitting there.

BTW I'm glad you were able to pick up a spare and quite shocked at the jealous response a few people cropped up to your original happy/light-hearted post. My extra should be at the post office by now, have to make sure I stop by and check today (the wife is stoked!).
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:31 PM   #13
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Heehee..mine is out for delivery right now.. should be getting it any second. How long do they take to charge anyway?
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:34 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel View Post
One thing to keep in mind, these things do tend to drain the battery, even when not in use, so if you're going to use one as a spare, make sure they weren't charged up at the same time or you might ended up with two dead Readers just when you're getting to the interesting parts. Mine has sat dormant for a few weeks while I read a few PB's I couldn't get in e-format and I was quite surprised at how relatively quickly the battery drained while it was just sitting there.
An idea that might help with that: if you know that you're going to set it aside for a while, you might try clicking the reset button, but not turning it back on. That should make it as 'off' as it can get.

Frankly, I'd love for someone to try that and see if there's anything left in the battery after 3~4 weeks, I suspect there likely would be, but I can't stand to leave my Reader alone for long enough to find out for myself.

On the other note, I can certainly understand a bit of jealousy on the part of those who are having trouble getting a Reader, they are really awesome after all! And it seems that the offense was not really intended as such, and an apology would settle the matter were it me, but of course, it's neither my place to take offense nor accept the tendered apology.

In any case, I believe that a community as generally friendly and well-meaning as this one is, ought to easily handle so small a bump in the road.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:36 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
How long do they take to charge anyway?
Spec is 4 hours from the wall and 6 from the USB (except that it won't charge from the USB unless the ConnSoft is installed, or if the battery is too low).

I'd leave it in overnight the first time, though -- if you can stand it..

A hint: if you charge from the wall, you can play with it while it's charging (doesn't work with the USB charge).