Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #31
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Actually it has an early version of Win7. I don't think they put too many out with the barebones Win7 OS but I happened to be in the right place at the right time to get one. Things like changing wallpaper weren't included in the release. I had to track down a small program (found through youtube) in order to be able to change the wallpaper.
@crich70 - I am guessing its Win 7 Starter - If you can access the 'net from another PC then you can download the Win7 32bit ISO to a thumb drive, I think its about 3GB. See this thread for details http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...b-d4e3fda9facc

Then you can reinstall windows from the USB stick.

If you don't have the Windows licence number handy then you need to grab the MagicJellyBean program. Run it before you reinstall Windows, it will display your Windows, Office other software licence numbers.

Oh, this is all lawful - providing what you have was lawfully obtained

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-16-2014 at 09:32 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:35 AM   #32
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@crich70 - I am guessing its Win 7 Starter - If you can access the 'net from another PC then you can download the Win7 32bit ISO to a thumb drive, I think its about 3GB. See this thread for details http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...b-d4e3fda9facc

Then you can reinstall windows from the USB stick.

If you don't have the Windows licence number handy then you need to grab the MagicJellyBean program. Run it before you reinstall Windows, it will display your Windows, Office other software licence numbers.

Oh, this is all lawful - providing what you have was lawfully obtained

BR
Thanks. Yep from what I can see it's actually 2.4 GB in size. It is Win7 Starter, but I'm not sure what you mean by the License #. Do you mean the product key? I've got it (it's on a sticker on the bottom of the netbook).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:12 AM   #33
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Thanks. Yep from what I can see it's actually 2.4 GB in size. It is Win7 Starter, but I'm not sure what you mean by the License #. Do you mean the product key? I've got it (it's on a sticker on the bottom of the netbook).
Yep, product key is what MS calls licence number, when you reinstall Windows you'll have to enter it.

If you need further help reinstalling etc then you might want to try the Windows 7 Forums ( click)

Make sure you download the iso that includes Service Pack 1, that will at least get you up to Feb 2011, then you'll have to run MS Update a few times to get fully up to date.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 03-17-2014 at 04:14 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:48 PM   #34
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Related software note, especially if you're working on-the-cheap -- Microsoft's OneNote is now free (FREE!) and they released a version for OSX (Macs). Sadly the Mac version lacks much of the Insert menu options.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #35
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Related software note, especially if you're working on-the-cheap -- Microsoft's OneNote is now free (FREE!) and they released a version for OSX (Macs). Sadly the Mac version lacks much of the Insert menu options.
OH????? That is cool news. Its the one and only app on doz I have not found a good replacement for on OSX.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #36
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
the free OneNote is for Windows 7 or 8 --- Vista users need not apply.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:12 PM   #37
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
definately cool
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:14 PM   #38
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
recently I bought a mini-USB adapter to use a regular keyboard with my smartphone

this is clearly a better solution than buying a small screen AND a small/useless keyboard, i.e. a netbook

that said, aside from too many useless apps and games, the software landscape on mobile is still playing catch-up with desktop computing. I believe it's just a matter of time when it'll vastly surpass it, though.

Mobile devices are indeed personal computing to the extreme, always in your pocket. but you can easily connect them to TVs or keyboards and thus have all the benefits of today's desktops, plus a truly integrated environment like the old PC never quite got around to do right.

one could argue: but a desktop is far more powerful! so what? regular word processing or web applications never were as processing-intensive as desktop vendors want you to believe. All that extra power used to go into gaming and that industry has largely migrated to mobile, much to the chagrin of microsoft...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #39
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
the free OneNote is for Windows 7 or 8 --- Vista users need not apply.
Vista users, and others using antique OSs, enter through this door:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/online/
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:27 PM   #40
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
The Dell Venue Pros are worth looking at as well. If you want extra extra portable and don't mind a bluetooth keyboard, even the 8" venue pro might be worth consideration. Though I might recommend pairing it with lenovo's tablet bt keyboard instead of Dell's.
Thanks to Dell Outlet sale this week, this is the path I've taken. A 64 GB Venue 8 Pro, normally $299 (recently marked down from norm $349) for $189 + tax, certified refurb with warranty (see here, supplies are in and out). I'm very picky about keyboards, so I got the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2 board, pic attached. It's for a 10" tab, not 8", but I'm more concerned with usability than getting a good matching product. I believe this will be a world better than my old netbook and a little better than my transformer.

I will miss my transformer's hinge though (more portability, better tablet protection via clamshell). What I wouldn't have given for a good transformer mini.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thinkpad-tablet-keyboard-dock.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	120567  
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:51 PM   #41
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Yep, product key is what MS calls licence number, when you reinstall Windows you'll have to enter it.

If you need further help reinstalling etc then you might want to try the Windows 7 Forums ( click)

Make sure you download the iso that includes Service Pack 1, that will at least get you up to Feb 2011, then you'll have to run MS Update a few times to get fully up to date.

BR
I'm making progress on the Iso file. The program they suggested at the link wouldn't allow me to use my new USB flash drive (it refused to admit there was a usable disk present) so I ended up downloading Power Iso for the task instead. Now I'll just have to copy anything on the netbook that I want to keep and run the program. I still plan to look into other possibilities (i.e. the tablet) though. Even a netbook can get heavy if you are carrying it round long enough.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:28 AM   #42
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Does the Dell Venue 8 Pro keep pretty cool dwig? One thing I've noted with my old Netbook is it does get a bit warm on the bottom even with the plastic cool pad I use to make sure there is good air flow around it.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:28 PM   #43
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

I finally got the Netbook working almost like new (the touch pad mouse still doesn't work) and found that my recent battery purchase is able to hold charge for up to 8-10 hrs apparently. At least that's what the battery charge icon says. I do still plan to get a tablet was it will be more portable, and then I will just use the Netbook at home, or for if something goes wrong with the tablet.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:15 AM   #44
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Does the Dell Venue 8 Pro keep pretty cool dwig? ...
I don't own one (yet - I'm shopping around at devices in that class), but from what I've read it doesn't warm significantly. The only posts that seem to indicate any warming are those that deal specifically with heavy high-performance (CPU and GPU) demanding game use.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:30 AM   #45
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
I don't own one (yet - I'm shopping around at devices in that class), but from what I've read it doesn't warm significantly. The only posts that seem to indicate any warming are those that deal specifically with heavy high-performance (CPU and GPU) demanding game use.
In other words they get hot when used for something they weren't designed for if I understand you right. Even Netbooks aren't designed for gaming as they are small computers so I can only assume that tablets aren't really made for the bigger CPU heavy games either.