Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #136
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nihilism View Post
I can't really speak for tablets, but an example I can give is with my 1st-gen Ipod Touch. Yes, it still plays music, but it seems most, if not all apps these days require a higher version of the iOS. I'm sure there are hacks or whatnot, but does the average Joe/Jane savvy enough not to brick their expensive toy?
But most of them are capable of getting updates from Apple themselves or at least finding out about them...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #137
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
But most of them are capable of getting updates from Apple themselves or at least finding out about them...
I personally haven't done it myself, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to update the OS on a device when the device in question no longer seems to be supported for automatic updates. Does Joe/Jane Average want to figure it out?
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #138
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
From Gizmodo yesterday:
Quote:
5 Ways Ereaders Are Still Better Than Tablets
Brian Barrett

The Age of the Ereader is drawing to a close. That's the drumbeat this week, after iSuppli pegged the year-over-year decline of reader sales at a staggering 36 percent. It makes sense; why get a fuddy little Kobo when there are cheap Kindle Fires aplenty to be had?

Turns out, plenty of reasons. Tablets are great, sure. But ereaders—in so many ways—are even better. Here's why.
http://gizmodo.com/5970460/5-ways-er...r-than-tablets
I feel bad for the simple minded people who pen these articles. I can't imagine thinking that PCs, tablets, e-readers, and the like are static devices that come and go. It's much more fun to be able to follow the evolution of information and entertainment technology. The e-reader isn't a direct descendent of the scroll. It's a branch of the tree of personal computing. It evolved from laptops and evolved into tablets. It will not go away.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #139
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
I predict tablets and eReaders get more thin.
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #140
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
I predict tablets and eReaders get more thin.
Not much of a prediction, is it? Companies seem to have an obsession about thinness these days.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #141
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
What is it women say?

Can't be too rich or too thin.

\\\
Actually thinking about it, that sounds like something Apple would say.

Last edited by SeaKing; 12-28-2012 at 01:34 PM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #142
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
What is it women say?

Can't be too rich or too thin.

\\\
Actually thinking about it, that sounds like something Apple would say.
So, you're saying a billionaire anorexic is your ideal woman?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #143
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Sure. Why not?
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #144
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Wouldn't mind the billionaire part, but women definitely can be too thin.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:43 AM   #145
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Wouldn't mind the billionaire part, but women definitely can be too thin.

At first I wanted to jump up and down and holler, "Don't you guys try and tell me about women!" Upon further reflection though, I realized that what I know about women which could take up a small city's library space is dwarfed by what I don't know about women, which would approach the Smithsonian's size for storage.

Further, remember the statement was by a woman, not a man.

Anyway, the real question here is whether tablets and phones and laptops can be too thin when they only have 3 to 10 hours of real usable battery life? And please don't add in so called standby.
I think that too much emphasis has been made on thin, and I think Apple is the main driver of that. Also Apple is the main beneficiary of this false "virtue."

I would like to see all devices with 24 solid hours of batter life. That would be three 8 hour days. If you look at the size of the battery in these devices, you realize that by adding 5 to 10mm to total thickness, you could achieve that.

I am ok with that.

Last edited by SeaKing; 12-29-2012 at 07:50 AM.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #146
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Anyway, the real question here is whether tablets and phones and laptops can be too thin when they only have 3 to 10 hours of real usable battery life?
Why not? Would you actively use your tablet/phone for more than that in a normal day? A device rated at 8 hours for battery life is more than enough for normal usage as long as you're not afraid to plug it in before going to bed or for a heavy task (like streaming a movie to your TV or something), and let the screen sleep when you don't actually need it on.

Quote:
I would like to see all devices with 24 solid hours of batter life. That would be three 8 hour days. If you look at the size of the battery in these devices, you realize that by adding 5 to 10mm to total thickness, you could achieve that.

I am ok with that.
You'd be okay with adding 50% to, perhaps even doubling, the thickness (most tabs seem to be just under 1cm thick) and greatly increasing the weight? You'd be looking at a bit over 2lbs for a 10" tablet (perhaps even a full kilogram; at which point you might as well get a laptop instead) and probably closing in on 1 & 1/4 lbs (like 675g) for a 7".

Last edited by JD Gumby; 12-29-2012 at 11:19 AM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #147
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:

I am ok with that.
Someone's already mentioned the weight increase, but I'd also be concerned about the charging time. Seeing as many tablets advertise 8-10 hours of life now, this would mean almost tripling the battery life, and I can't see it not doubling the charge time.

That could also be a problem.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #148
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Why not? Would you actively use your tablet/phone for more than that in a normal day? A device rated at 8 hours for battery life is more than enough for normal usage as long as you're not afraid to plug it in before going to bed or for a heavy task (like streaming a movie to your TV or something), and let the screen sleep when you don't actually need it on.

You'd be okay with adding 50% to, perhaps even doubling, the thickness (most tabs seem to be just under 1cm thick) and greatly increasing the weight? You'd be looking at a bit over 2lbs for a 10" tablet (perhaps even a full kilogram; at which point you might as well get a laptop instead) and probably closing in on 1 & 1/4 lbs (like 675g) for a 7".
You make large false assumption on thickness, and on weight minor error (kg assumption). The current battery takes less than 50% of xy dimensions of (example) toshiba thrive 10.1 or iPad3 and is 0.2 inch (5mm) thick at .4 pound.
New battery double power would spread across entire tablet add only .1 inch and add .4 pound so even heavy thrive at 1.6# would weight 2# total, ipad3 would be 1.44# +.4 # for 1.84# total and .37" +.1+ for .47" or about 12 mm thick.

config of all tablet would change so shape of battery would differ and decrease above calculated thickness.
wgt might decrease with combined battery case
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:01 AM   #149
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I feel bad for the simple minded people who pen these articles. I can't imagine thinking that PCs, tablets, e-readers, and the like are static devices that come and go. It's much more fun to be able to follow the evolution of information and entertainment technology. The e-reader isn't a direct descendent of the scroll. It's a branch of the tree of personal computing. It evolved from laptops and evolved into tablets. It will not go away.
I'd say the ereader physically developed more from things like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_digital_assistant

as well as the digitizing of books on CD-Roms and reading on comuters.

Plus Science Fiction must be given credit for many of the ideas like eReaders, tricorders, sonic screwdrivers and the like!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:02 AM   #150
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Hubba-Hubba!

Paris here I come!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote