Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 06-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
I am officially not updating my Vox anymore...

Ever since I had troubles with an update in mid-March, I have not updated my Vox. I was happy with how it was working at that point (no sleep of death, battery working well, no troubles with any apps) so I put off dealing with the update that seemed to be causing a bunch of people in my area problems.

Here I am 3 months later, and I still haven't done any updates - and I am happy with it. I use my shiny new Samsung phone for a lot of the apps I want to use, and mostly use my Vox for reading my magazines and books, watching movies and email/internet access. All the rest, I do on my phone. The Vox just seems to be too darned volatile after the updates. Things that used to work no longer work, just because they've added some crappy feature that I didn't want in the first place.

Not sure how long I'll survive with my head in the sand, but so far, so good!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
BWinmill
Nameless Being

If you don't want to, then don't. But you may want to wait until the reviews are in before deciding against the latest update. A lot of people are jumping for joy now that they have access go Google Play, and others have noted that it seems a lot faster. (It seems faster to me, but I haven't done formal testing.)
Advert
Old 06-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee View Post
Ever since I had troubles with an update in mid-March, I have not updated my Vox. I was happy with how it was working at that point (no sleep of death, battery working well, no troubles with any apps) so I put off dealing with the update that seemed to be causing a bunch of people in my area problems.

Here I am 3 months later, and I still haven't done any updates - and I am happy with it. I use my shiny new Samsung phone for a lot of the apps I want to use, and mostly use my Vox for reading my magazines and books, watching movies and email/internet access. All the rest, I do on my phone. The Vox just seems to be too darned volatile after the updates. Things that used to work no longer work, just because they've added some crappy feature that I didn't want in the first place.

Not sure how long I'll survive with my head in the sand, but so far, so good!
--------------------------------------------------

Oh man...are you missing out....

This update gives you the Vox you probably wanted from the get go....

R.P.
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Depends what you need...I need root more than play so until someone figures out root on this update, I'll sit tight.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
Depends what you need...I need root more than play so until someone figures out root on this update, I'll sit tight.
They have really tweaked the performance envelope, screen interaction, etc. That alone could be a reason for you to update. This is not the Vox you are running right now, believe me. I had your Vox....
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
BWinmill
Nameless Being

But if mr_nobody wants root, the new update simply isn't viable until somebody finds a way to root it.

Here's an example: removing a bundled app without root requires disassembling the device, pulling out the internal SD card, popping the SD card into a PC running Linux, mounting the filesystems, making the desired modifications, unmounting the filesystems, popping the SD card out of the PC, reinserting the SD card into the Vox, and reassembling the Vox. You have to go through that messy process every time you want to make a change.

On the other hand, you could root the device once and make changes with a filemanager whenever you like. It is a much less painful process!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
baron604
baron604 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yanking out the internal sdcard and manually reinstalling su and Superuser.apk gives you some control back over your crapware-riddled oddball-charger-requiring electronic reader.

At least Titanium Backup seems to make quick work of all the crapware once you've regained control over your own device.
baron604 is offline   Reply With Quote