Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #1
serpentium
eAddictd
serpentium began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505, Iliad Book Edition
korean ebooks

I bought an Iliad Reader Book Edition for my wife (she's korean)

Yesterday she decided to buy a book from a korean online bookstore and unluckyly she bought a pdf drm-ed so she can read only on a pda or pmp (korean device to watch movies).

No way to send the book to the iliad reader.

where or how you can find korean books we can read on a ebook reader? i mean in a format we can upload to iliad or convert to?
serpentium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:41 AM   #2
atidball
Enthusiast
atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.atidball can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Sony PRS-505
There is a korean reader listed in mobiread's wiki. If you aren't interested in the reader itself maybe the website indicates where you can find un-DRM'ed ebooks (I can't read it myself).

link
The wiki page is here.
atidball is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2008, 12:06 AM   #3
berry1004
berry1004 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sadly Iliad is not a common device in Korea. Return it and buy a Korean e-book device such as Nuut or Soribook.

What you can also do is to ask your wife to 'NAVER' it. I am sure that she can find how to read Korean book using an Iliad at any 'e-book cafe' in Naver. Plus, your wife can get many free books there.
berry1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:06 PM   #4
rskolin
rskolin began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by berry1004 View Post
Sadly Iliad is not a common device in Korea. Return it and buy a Korean e-book device such as Nuut or Soribook.
I emailed the company that makes the Nuut, and they told me it is not available for sale in the US. The Nuut Website also has it's own Korean ebook store too. Too bad...my wife is Korean and loves to read, so I guess I'm stuck too.
rskolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
serpentium
eAddictd
serpentium began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505, Iliad Book Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by rskolin View Post
I emailed the company that makes the Nuut, and they told me it is not available for sale in the US. The Nuut Website also has it's own Korean ebook store too. Too bad...my wife is Korean and loves to read, so I guess I'm stuck too.
I know... mine said "i will read only in english ;("
But i didnt know if she tried looking at nuut website store. i will say to her. do you know other korean ebook store? with available ebook formats we can read on iliad(pdf, mobi, epub, rtf, doc, lit)?

txs
serpentium is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2008, 06:20 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Try typing Korean eBooks into google. You will find quite a few sources.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:35 PM   #7
rskolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Try typing Korean eBooks into google. You will find quite a few sources.

Dale
I've done that, but I can't seem to find any books in Hangul. That's the stumbling block for me. The Astak EZ Reader supports Hangul and it's available for order now. But it's not much good to me if I can't download books in the Korean language.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rskolin View Post
I've done that, but I can't seem to find any books in Hangul. That's the stumbling block for me. The Astak EZ Reader supports Hangul and it's available for order now. But it's not much good to me if I can't download books in the Korean language.
I am not sure exactly what Hangul is but there are plenty of PDFs with embedded fonts that should be in a language your wife can read. The beauty of embedded fonts is that your reader doesn't need to have Korean builtin.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:18 AM   #9
hanasea
Enthusiast
hanasea began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPod Touch
Is it too late?

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpentium View Post
I bought an Iliad Reader Book Edition for my wife (she's korean)

Yesterday she decided to buy a book from a korean online bookstore and unluckyly she bought a pdf drm-ed so she can read only on a pda or pmp (korean device to watch movies).

No way to send the book to the iliad reader.

where or how you can find korean books we can read on a ebook reader? i mean in a format we can upload to iliad or convert to?

http://cafe.naver.com/irexiliad
This is korean iLiad user group and they talk about iLiad in Korean.
Maybe your life can join this group and follow step, and can read korean files. Since I don't have iLiad, I don't know much about this. But people in that forum is very friendly and using Korean documents in their iLiad.

I don't think there is any bookstore offer korean version of

If you looking for Korean-EBook-Device itself, there is NUUT and Soribook(You can find information in http://ebookinside.com
Soribuk is out of stock and people dislike that. but NUUT might be a good alternation.
hanasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:53 AM   #10
laowai
laowai began at the beginning.

Device: Blackberry 7290
also looking for a solution

@Serpentium
I am in the same search and so far unlucky.
The challenge I would say is first to find a reliable source of ebooks in hangul. Onc ethis is located you can then define the format or find ways to convert them. I found in store the iRiver that seems to work with a korean menu (from a korean company). Let me know when you find something
laowai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:21 AM   #11
HelenaJole
Connoisseur
HelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
http://book2.co.kr/ uses Adobe DRM. http://www.nuutbook.com/ supposedly does also, though I haven't been able to buy a book from them to check it out. I did buy a book from book2 and was able to view it in Adobe Digital Editions.
HelenaJole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #12
rskolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaJole View Post
http://book2.co.kr/ uses Adobe DRM. http://www.nuutbook.com/ supposedly does also, though I haven't been able to buy a book from them to check it out. I did buy a book from book2 and was able to view it in Adobe Digital Editions.
Couple of questions:

1. Did you purchase your Korean ebook reader in the US? If so, where?

2. I've seen these websites before, but don't you have to pay in Won rather than dollars? How is that done from the US?
Old 10-08-2010, 12:48 AM   #13
HelenaJole
Connoisseur
HelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enoughHelenaJole will become famous soon enough

I used a credit card and it converts automatically. I found that book2's setup didn't like my Mastercard, though, so I ended up using my parents' Visa. That went through okay, once I went through this Visa Verification thingy that pops up. And I kept getting a bolean string error at the very end, but it went through anyway. The book just took a while to show up in my downloads.

I can view the book in Adobe Digital Editions on my computer. I also tried stripping the DRM and converting it in Calibre to read on my Kindle, which worked, but the
Kindle's horrible Korean font is nearly unreadable.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #14
ErkMa
obnoxious wannabe
ErkMa began at the beginning.

Device: One --> Neo --> Nuuthree
A slightly off tangent... Is there an English spoken version of http://www.nuutbook.com/ somewhere?
ErkMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 04:46 PM   #15
HelenaJole
Connoisseur

It doesn't look like there is.