Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
13379m4m3r
13379m4m3r began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Calibre gets stuck when converting CBZ or CBR and stays there

It'll get stuck randomly during conversion. I'll sit there and watch it, and it'll just sit there. Waiting to go forward taking up 200% cpu(or more) on my quad core/8 thread(HT) machine. It'll never progress and just freezes. I know that calibre's not meant to be terribly awesome since it's written in python and thus has to use weird bindings to get it to work, but still this seems to happen randomly. Sometimes it goes to 23% and other times it gets to 35%. It just gets there and stops.

I ran it from the terminal and that doesn't do anything at all, right now I'm starting to wish that I would've gotten a kobo touch, since then I'd have no reason to deal with these conversions but this one being so much cheaper seems to be a bad decision. I've already changed the "split" epub file thing to a size that is higher than any of the individual images themselves(to be safe), and it just goes and gets stuck. Has anyone else had issues with this?

I'm using whatever the latest calibre is, I'm on Debian GNU/Linux kernel 3.0.1 GTK 2.x x86-64.
13379m4m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Not sure why you are getting stuck, but changing the split size is a bad idea. The split is the maximum size of any particular HTML file inside an ePub (i.e. nothing to do with image size). Many readers are resource constrained and need this value to be 300KB or less.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13379m4m3r View Post
It'll get stuck randomly during conversion. I'll sit there and watch it, and it'll just sit there. Waiting to go forward taking up 200% cpu(or more) on my quad core/8 thread(HT) machine. It'll never progress and just freezes.
I've never converted cbz but if it is still using cpu cycles in may not be stuck. Don't go by the progress % even in other conversions it is rarely accurate and may stay put for the entire duration and jump in big leaps at the end.

I've heard of conversions taking up to 24 hours to finish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13379m4m3r View Post
I'm using whatever the latest calibre is
This doesn't tell us anything, especially for folks using Linux. What version are you using?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote