Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #1
hermom
hermom began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question daughter with learning disabilities

I had hoped to buy a kindle 2 for my daughter with learning disabilities, but of course it's not available in Canada. I really liked the instant dictionary, wiki info and option to read PDF and books, annotate them and transfer the notes to word docs.

Are there similar options available on an e-reader for Canadians?

I forgot to mention--I am a mac user (not a PC user) so any required software would have to be compatible with Mac os x.

Thanks!

Last edited by hermom; 06-05-2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: forgot info
hermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Have a look towards the Bookeen Gen3.

Welcome by hermom!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, hermom.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
the Kindle 2 cannot read PDF files. You have to convert them first. There are lots of eBook Readers availalbe. What are the killer features you need?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:07 AM   #5
Mobert
Enthusiast
Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mobert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As a mother of a son who had a reading disablity, one of the things the special schools recommended was listening to a book in audio while following with your eyes written text. I used to have to find books in audio cassettes that went along with written text for my son to keep up in class. Finding the audio version of many books was hard to come by. The Kindle 2 has the ability to read the written text and also to turn the pages along with it. So I say it is a great learning tool and much cheaper than the audio special equipment I had bought years ago even if I had to add the cost of insurance as I think the Kindle is easily dropped and broken.

Out of US customers are able to add content to their Kindle2 through their computer as wispernet does not work out of the country.

Last edited by Mobert; 06-07-2009 at 01:09 AM.
Mobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobert View Post
As a mother of a son who had a reading disablity, one of the things the special schools recommended was listening to a book in audio while following with your eyes written text. I used to have to find books in audio cassettes that went along with written text for my son to keep up in class. Finding the audio version of many books was hard to come by. The Kindle 2 has the ability to read the written text and also to turn the pages along with it. So I say it is a great learning tool and much cheaper than the audio special equipment I had bought years ago even if I had to add the cost of insurance as I think the Kindle is easily dropped and broken.

Out of US customers are able to add content to their Kindle2 through their computer as wispernet does not work out of the country.
I would suggest to you something completely different. I does not involve readers because they are not, for now, able to support what I'm about to propose. It is a bit of software made by Microsoft for use with Windows. Microsoft Reader. You can find many, many books in its native .lit format, and they have an extension for Word that allows you to create your own .lit content.

When you open a book in Microsoft reader you can have it read by the computer and as it does so, the text is highlighted simultaneously. If you want portability, the newer netbooks will cater to that need much better than a reader.

One caveat. I don't know if it's still available. I use an old version on an old computer.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #7
hermom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobert View Post

Thanks. I didn't know that I could use a US bought Kindle in Canada--so do I just download the books by attaching the Kindle to my computer ? Can i do everything else that the Kindle 2 does, only I just need to attach it to a computer first?
Old 06-07-2009, 12:30 PM   #8
hermom

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I've been looking into them as they get posted. I really appreciate the help!!!
Old 06-07-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I agree with the Microsoft LIT suggestion over a Kindle. For what it's worth.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 12:32 AM   #10
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
what books does your daughter like to read?
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:14 AM   #11
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Hi, welcome to MobileRead!

You can use a Kindle in Canada and download content via the usb cable. There is some information in this thread about using a kindle outwith the US. (Feel free to post questions in the 'What device should I buy thread' as well.)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45876

My son, who has reading difficulties, uses my Sony 505, with a large font size and coloured overlays. Most of the devices mentioned will also allow her to put her own text documents onto it.

As kelly suggests, also think about what your daughter plans to read on it. Make a list of her top 10 books then search the different ebookstores. This will give you a good idea of where you will find the most content and which ebook format they are available in. This is a good ebook comparision site to check as well as the Sony and Kindle ebookstores.

http://www.ebookprice.info/
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:11 PM   #12
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Ideas for your daughter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermom View Post
Thanks everyone for your ideas. I've been looking into them as they get posted. I really appreciate the help!!!
Dear HerMom:

I really wish I could help. Astak is an eBook Reader manufactruer that makes a great 6 inch device called the EZ Reader which has some great features and is really rock-solid in reliability. We also have a new 5 inch EZ Reader Pocket PRO coming out very soon if she is young.

I am NOT trying to sell devices herein this post. I use to work for three years with developmentally disabled kids (most with Down's Syndrome). I can tell you that with training they grow up to get married and have happy and useful lives.

I could and will sell you one at cost... but that really only saves $30 or so. There is little markup. I am willing to throw in an SD card pre-loaded with free ebooks that you think she would like. You can work with the experts here on MobilerRead forum to pick the titles that are appropriate.

IF we all put our heads together we can make one little girl happy!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annotation, canada, children, kindle, learning disability