Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
JerryCC
JerryCC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Problem converting Google Scholar HTML to AZW

I have a frustrating problem with my Kindle DX, which defeats the whole reason I bought it.
I use Google Scholar a lot for legal opinions. Whenever I convert an html doc to azw, it doesn't display and causes the Kindle to freeze and sometimes crash. I've called Amazon several times, to no avail. I tried Calibre, with the same result (at least Calibre let me easily convert to .txt, though).
Obviously there is some html code that doesn't agree with the Kindle - any ideas on how I could strip it out, while retaining as much of the html formatting as possible?
JerryCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Try running your HTML through one or another version of HTML Tidy - it usually does a good job of stripping out offending bits.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
JerryCC
JerryCC began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Thanks for the TidyURL recommendation. I tried it several times and different ways, with the same result. Apparently TidyURL does not recognize it as 'bad" html coding. I've still gotten no response back from Amazon on this problem.

Is anyone else having this problem, converting Google Sholar legal opinions to .azw?

Jerry
JerryCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
johndoesecond
Connoisseur
johndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 4, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryCC View Post
I have a frustrating problem with my Kindle DX, which defeats the whole reason I bought it.
I use Google Scholar a lot for legal opinions. Whenever I convert an html doc to azw, it doesn't display and causes the Kindle to freeze and sometimes crash. I've called Amazon several times, to no avail. I tried Calibre, with the same result (at least Calibre let me easily convert to .txt, though).
Obviously there is some html code that doesn't agree with the Kindle - any ideas on how I could strip it out, while retaining as much of the html formatting as possible?
Try kindlegen.

For me it converts complex HTMLs with no fuss.

Save the web page (Explorer is alright for it renames the images and puts .gif, .jpg, or whatever extension. Firefox and Chrome weren't as successful and would sometimes save into an HTML kindlegen wasn't able to convert properly).

Also make sure you save the complete HTML (not "only" HTML, nor Web Archive .mht).

Just drag the html over the kindlegen.exe (or use it at command line) and you get the .mobi document for your Kindle.

Works flawlessly for me.

Good luck.

Last edited by johndoesecond; 02-08-2010 at 02:01 PM.
johndoesecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
johndoesecond
Connoisseur
johndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 4, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoesecond View Post
Try kindlegen.

For me it converts complex HTMLs with no fuss.

Save the web page (Explorer is alright for it renames the images and puts .gif, .jpg, or whatever extension. Firefox and Chrome weren't as successful and would sometimes save into an HTML kindlegen wasn't able to convert properly).

Also make sure you save the complete HTML (not "only" HTML, nor Web Archive .mht).

Just drag the html over the kindlegen.exe (or use it at command line) and you get the .mobi document for your Kindle.

Works flawlessly for me.

Good luck.
In the case of this specific html formatting provided by Google Scholar, kindlegen doesn't do the job, but Calibre does!

So instead of converting to .mobi with kindlegen, use Calibre. I tried, and it looks pretty ok to me.

Cheers.
johndoesecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoesecond View Post
In the case of this specific html formatting provided by Google Scholar, kindlegen doesn't do the job, but Calibre does!

So instead of converting to .mobi with kindlegen, use Calibre. I tried, and it looks pretty ok to me.

Cheers.
Yup, that's a much better way of going about it.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote