Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-06-2013, 05:02 AM   #1
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
Touch Screen

I would love to have a new paperwhite Kindle, but I will never ever buy an eBook reader that has a touch screen. Am I the only one that feels this way? I own four Kindle 3 3g's all of them have page turn buttons.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You're not the only one, but you certainly are in the minority I would think.

I should add that I do not share your passion on that issue.

I know for a fact that there are some members here who feel as you do.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I felt the same way, until I got the Kobo Mini. I did NOT want to have an ereader without page turn buttons, but honestly after using the Mini for a day I got used to it and found that a very light tap on the side of the screen would turn a page just as easily as my buttons on the K3. I can prop it up against something and turn the page with a knuckle if I'm holding a sandwich or something. Trying that with the K3 I sometimes knocked it over.

If you really like the Paperwhite (I'm dying to get one), I think you should try it out. Amazon has a 30 day return policy I think, in case you're not happy with the touch screen .
leanansidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I'm not averse to touch screens but I do prefer the buttons for turning pages. I have a Sony PRS 350 and while selecting books from your library, looking up the dictionary etc are all quicker and easier using the touch screen, for turning pages, I still prefer using the page turn buttons.

The new Sony reader was my great hope (since Amazon and Kobo have long since moved to button free ereaders) but as they've gone down the route of not including a built in light, I'm going to have to compromise. It appears tapping the screen on the Kindle & Kobo isn't too bad, it's having to swipe the Sony that makes it that even more different to get used to than tapping a button.

What is it that you don't like about touch screen, is it just the page turns too?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
The new Sony reader was my great hope (since Amazon and Kobo have long since moved to button free ereaders) but as they've gone down the route of not including a built in light, I'm going to have to compromise.
Or wait and see what the new Nook brings. The current one has a light and page turn buttons, not that that means the new one will have buttons, but it might. No idea when it'll be announced let alone be available though.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Start a poll and see what we all think. I also believe the number of people who will not go touch-only are a vocal minority.

Look at it this way, the tablet and smartphone explosion is driven by touch-only devices, excepting home buttons and the like. I seem to recall Blackberry was one of the few brands that retained a physical keyboard in some phones. How's that working out for Research in Motion? Not so well.

I used to prefer page turn buttons but my Kindle PW works just fine for me. I assume deleting buttons saves money if manufacturers are going to provide a touch screen anyway. I understand people wanting to keep buttons but I don't think the device market agrees.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I'm not averse to touch screens but I do prefer the buttons for turning pages. I have a Sony PRS 350 and while selecting books from your library, looking up the dictionary etc are all quicker and easier using the touch screen, for turning pages, I still prefer using the page turn buttons.

The new Sony reader was my great hope (since Amazon and Kobo have long since moved to button free ereaders) but as they've gone down the route of not including a built in light, I'm going to have to compromise. It appears tapping the screen on the Kindle & Kobo isn't too bad, it's having to swipe the Sony that makes it that even more different to get used to than tapping a button.

What is it that you don't like about touch screen, is it just the page turns too?
Me too. I wish they had buttons to turn pages, but I'm very happy with using a touchscreen to look up words in a dictionary, highlight, etc. It was always a slow process to do those latter things without a touchscreen. And note making was excruciatingly slow on a K3 and much slower still on a K4!
Old 09-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I use the buttons on my DX, I use the touchscreens on my other devices, and I don't give it much thought as I go from one device to another. It's a non-issue for me.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #9
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I feel the same way about touch screens as the OP. I like my K3 because of the page turn buttons, mostly because of fingerprint issues. I know people have said that fingerprints don't show up as much on the e-ink screens, but I am skeptical (or maybe I just have sweaty hands).

However, I think the quest for buttons is a losing battle. Many people on this forum have said they didn't expect to like the touchscreen as much as they did. I am very tempted by the newly announced PW because of some of the software improvements and the improved screen.

Last edited by krazy4katz; 09-07-2013 at 04:37 PM.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post
I would love to have a new paperwhite Kindle, but I will never ever buy an eBook reader that has a touch screen. Am I the only one that feels this way? I own four Kindle 3 3g's all of them have page turn buttons.
I'm one of the minority who doesn't like touch devices. I broke down and bought an iPhone earlier this year to replace my Blackberry Torch. The Torch was my ideal smartphone -- a touch screen with a slideout keyboard. I text a lot less these days on the iPhone because it's so difficult to always have to be making corrections when the stupid thing can't tell where my finger is touching. I also read from time to time on the iPhone and there are many times when the Kindle app thinks that I've highlighted some text when a finger gets too close to the screen.

My favorite of all readers I have used in the K3 (Kindle keyboard). I used to make a lot of notes when I would read -- not so much these days -- and I'd be happy to give up the keyboard, but I really want page turn buttons. With the K3, I can hold the reader in one hand, and turn the pages with just a small movement of my thumb. On a touch device, if I'm holding it with my left hand -- which I tend to do -- I wouldn't be able to reach the right side of the screen to turn the page. So it means having to move my right hand to the device each time a page needs turning.

I have told Amazon to notify me when the PW2 with 3G becomes available to order. I think I'll take a look at one -- with the option of returning it for a full refund if I find it unworkable.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #11
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool ...ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhe View Post
I felt the same way...

...If you really like the Paperwhite (I'm dying to get one), I think you should try it out...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
I'm one of the minority who doesn't like touch devices...
...as am I. Oddly enough I pre-ordered the newly announced PW anyway!

Last edited by alansplace; 09-08-2013 at 02:20 PM. Reason: oops...
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote