Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
tagtag
tagtag began at the beginning.

Device: Nook wifi (B&W)
pagination problems with an epub on nook wifi

Hi,

I have an epub created w/ the nook profile in calibre where the pages aren't viewable in total. Different sentences fall off the page depending on what font + size I use to view them on the nook.

I believe the issue is extra line breaks, but it's hard for me to diagnose. Is there any way I can get Calibre to go over this thing once more or some suggestions on how to fix without manually editing each sub-segment of the epub file (not feasible for 500+ pages).

Thanks!
tagtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagtag View Post
I have an epub created w/ the nook profile in calibre where the pages aren't viewable in total. Different sentences fall off the page depending on what font + size I use to view them on the nook.
If the words are actually beyond the page when you increase font size, this is indicative of converting a book that uses <pre> tags. These tags are used in many books that have to show code examples ensuring the code does not get wrapped and distorted in the process.

You might want to open it with Sigil and see what code tags are used around the text in question.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #3
tagtag
tagtag began at the beginning.

Device: Nook wifi (B&W)
Thanks. Am not familiar with Sigil but I'll do some searching and see what more I can do.
tagtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:49 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks. Am not familiar with Sigil but I'll do some searching and see what more I can do.
It is an ePub editor. There is a mobileread forum here and the project page here.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:33 PM   #5
sfball
sfball began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Exclamation

Quote:
Hi,

I believe the issue is extra line breaks, but it's hard for me to diagnose. Is there any way I can get Calibre to go over this thing once more or some suggestions on how to fix without manually editing each sub-segment of the epub file (not feasible for 500+ pages).

Thanks!
I'm having this exact same frustrating problem, and have been searching for a solution with no avail. This is only happening with one specific book (so far). When I turn to the next page, usually when the previous page has ended on a paragraph break, the top of the next page has text "hidden" beneath the top status bar. When I resize the text, I can read the formerly hidden text, which is usually quite long in length - 100+ characters.

The pain is that I have to keep switching font sizes back and forth (and sometimes three or more times!) to read these "tops" of pages. I've noticed that it doesn't necessarily happen when the break comes in the middle of a paragraph.

I've been trying to fix the book using Sigil. There are no PRE tags and the CSS looks mostly similar to other books. I've played with the top and bottom margin sizes in various CSS classes and in the @page tag, and that hasn't helped either.

Also, the book looks just fine in Calibre's viewer and in Sigil.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

-sfb
sfball is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 11:11 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfball View Post
I've been trying to fix the book using Sigil. There are no PRE tags and the CSS looks mostly similar to other books. I've played with the top and bottom margin sizes in various CSS classes and in the @page tag, and that hasn't helped either.

Also, the book looks just fine in Calibre's viewer and in Sigil.
I want to first admit that I have no idea how to correct this problem, but I do have some thoughts.

Someone reported something similar yesterday. They seemed to have solved the problem by removing the text justification. They didn't have a Nook problem they had a calibre viewer problem but it is an idea to try.

Other things that comes to mind.
  • Are you using the standard manufacturers firmware?
  • Is your firmware on your device current?
  • Does it happen with all books?
  • Does it happen with other formats?
  • Does the css or html specify a fixed font in px or pts?
  • Since it seems to be Nook specific have you asked about this in any Nook forums?
  • Epub editing/creation is different from using calibre to convert books. You might get a wider depth of knowledge by asking about this in the Epub or Sigil forums.
Good Luck.