Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
readingaloud
Enthusiast
readingaloud is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad; Sony Reader; Amazon Kindle
Thumbs down nagging for reviews

One Kindle feature that's slowly driving me up the wall is the way that the reader pops up a nag asking you to review a book as soon as you get to the end of the main text.

Possibly some people like to be reminded to donate some time and effort to create reviews for poor little Amazon. But some of us really hate to have our technology nagging us to do things for the benefit of the company that makes the device.

This little jolt of annoyance hits me just when I've finished a book, and might thus be in the mood to buy another one. I don't know how others feel, but by reminding me how little Amazon respects me at this critical moment, they've lost at least a few sales.

Perhaps those of us who dislike nagging so much that we've paid extra not to be subjected to ads could be offered the additional boon of turning off the review nag.

The fact that the review nag hits you at the end of the main text rather than the real end of the book is particularly annoying. I suppose that people often would not see the nag if it came at the very end of the book--some people, including me, tend to skip the end matter. Amazon knows where in the file the main text ends.

This shows that Amazon could, if it wanted to, allow me to see my reading progress against the main text, not just the book as a whole. Another pet peeve of mine is reaching the end of a book when the progress indicator tells me that I'm something like 72% of the way through it.

Amazon is willing to mark the end of the book for the purposes of nagging me, but not for the purpose of letting me know how much of the book I really have left. That's appalling.
readingaloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingaloud View Post
Possibly some people like to be reminded to donate some time and effort to create reviews for poor little Amazon. But some of us really hate to have our technology nagging us to do things for the benefit of the company that makes the device.
Reviews of books, in my opinion, benefit readers not Amazon. Some of my purchases are influenced by the reviews.

Quote:
Another pet peeve of mine is reaching the end of a book when the progress indicator tells me that I'm something like 72% of the way through it.
I agree with this, it is very annoying.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Smile

Quote:
One Kindle feature that's slowly driving me up the wall is the way that the reader pops up a nag asking you to review a book as soon as you get to the end of the main text.
I don't mind this feature at all. I don't always leave a review, but I do almost always touch a rating.

Quote:
I don't know how others feel, but by reminding me how little Amazon respects me at this critical moment, they've lost at least a few sales.
So, wanting to know what you think about a book you just read tells you they DON'T respect you? I don't think they care outside of how it can benefit them, but they are still asking you what you thought. Think of it as an acquaintance asking you how your day was even though they probably don't super duper care.

Still, I'm totally with you if you think that there should be a little check box at the bottom of the dialog box that says "Don't show this in future." or something similar. That would be a graceful and perfectly fine solution.

And I don't think any of it is actually appalling. Annoying to some people, sure. But appalling? I suppose if you got to the end of a book, saw the dialog, and literally gasped audibly... well, than you are right.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
My one book review entered from my Paperwhite showed up on my Facebook page. Automatically. It was only the star rating, but still, I had no idea the two were associated. Maybe it is an option somewhere that I should have unchecked.
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You can do a search in file explorer for all files containing the name fragment "EndActions" and delete them. There should be one per book, in the .sdr folder, and it is the file that contains the end-of-book data. If it is deleted, then it simply won't pop up, and that is ALL the file is used for.

Whenever you download new book, you will have to repeat this to get rid of newly downloaded book EndActions, but this should fix the problem generally.

If you jailbroke your kindle, there's ways to script this and turn it into a search command: Kindle_Touch_Hacking#Search_Bar_Shortcuts
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kate View Post
My one book review entered from my Paperwhite showed up on my Facebook page. Automatically. It was only the star rating, but still, I had no idea the two were associated. Maybe it is an option somewhere that I should have unchecked.
The Kindle has integration to several social networks. Twitter and Facebook are among them if I recall correctly.

I hate this function. I've no accounts, so no integration, and the Kindle is in aeroplane mode, permanently.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:41 AM   #7
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:

This little jolt of annoyance hits me just when I've finished a book, and might thus be in the mood to buy another one. I don't know how others feel, but by reminding me how little Amazon respects me at this critical moment, they've lost at least a few sales.

Perhaps those of us who dislike nagging so much that we've paid extra not to be subjected to ads could be offered the additional boon of turning off the review nag.

The fact that the review nag hits you at the end of the main text rather than the real end of the book is particularly annoying. I suppose that people often would not see the nag if it came at the very end of the book--some people, including me, tend to skip the end matter. Amazon knows where in the file the main text ends.

This shows that Amazon could, if it wanted to, allow me to see my reading progress against the main text, not just the book as a whole. Another pet peeve of mine is reaching the end of a book when the progress indicator tells me that I'm something like 72% of the way through it.

Amazon is willing to mark the end of the book for the purposes of nagging me, but not for the purpose of letting me know how much of the book I really have left. That's appalling.
is this a PWII? or a Paperwhite I?

assuming a PWI:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...28#post2022528
I am pretty sure that also works on the PW1 (and probably the II but you can't actually root that easily)

That set of commands could be turned into a KUAL button, I guess, to toggle that. Hope that helps.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Quote:
That set of commands could be turned into a KUAL button, I guess, to toggle that. Hope that helps.
I hesitate to ask, as you do so much for us already, but would anyone be up for this? I hate this nag screen, too.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #9
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
meh - for you - no problem. I'll a) need to check my facts on the PW and b) finish this perl build... then Ill do some tests.

Only just finished at 3am.
sigh

remind me.

Last edited by twobob; 11-14-2013 at 10:18 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Could someone tell me on which Kindles this problem occurs. I've never seen it on my Kindle 3 (with a physical keyboard), and I don't remember seeing it on a PaperWhite that I occasionally borrow.

It would be good to know this, because I might take it into account next time I'm shopping for a new model.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #11
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It doesn't happen on the KPW when using sideloaded books. The review window does pop up, but only at the very end, after "closing the back cover", so to speak.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Mike: It is on the PW's. I never saw it on my K3 or DXG. It might be on the Touch but I am not sure about that.

Personally, it is no big deal. I close the book when I am done. I could careless that they are asking for a review.

As for the facebook, if you go into settings there is a setting for social media that you can turn on and off. I have mine turned off. I would think that you would have to enter your facebook info for stuff to go there any way.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #13
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kate View Post
I think it might be because of Goodreads integration. When I first used Goodreads, it would put everything I was doing on Goodreads on my Facebook page. I had to dig around for quite a while before I was able to shut that "feature" off.

Or I could be way off.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #14
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Mike: It is on the PW's. I never saw it on my K3 or DXG.
Thanks for that. I just checked with Mrs. L (the PW user in this family), and she confirms that she has often seen the review request, but just ignores it.

My own view is that I don't want any of this social stuff when I'm reading. For me, reading is a private pleasure, not something to be shared with others. But I accept that other people feel differently.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #15
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Aside from that review request at the very end of the book, the KPW doesn't ask anything while reading, should you be concerned about that.