Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-24-2012, 04:39 AM   #1
Kino
Enthusiast
Kino began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook
[Solved] ebook-convert not working (linux)

Hi,

I have several books to convert (mobi to epub) so I installed calibre via Synaptic package manager and the installation seemed to go fine.

As I just want to convert files at the moment I tried the command line:

ebook-convert (etc) and received the following error:

The program 'ebook-convert' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install calibre

I ran Calibre from the gui and went for the conversion tool but this only allows conversion FROM epub.

Does anybody know what's going on?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Kino; 01-24-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The GUI should allow conversion between any supported formats. Are you sure that the GUI is showing the .mobi file, and that it is not DRM protected?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #3
Kino
Enthusiast

Yes, that is correct.

I have not used calibre before and did not realise that the book had to be loaded in before conversion could take place.

However, my original problem still remains - I am unable to run ebook-convert from the command line.

FWIW, I don't particularly want to use Calibre as a book management system, only as a conversion tool.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kino View Post
Hi,

I have several books to convert (mobi to epub) so I installed calibre via Synaptic package manager and the installation seemed to go fine.

Does anybody know what's going on?

Thanks in advance.
You don't say what distro, ... BUT.
Most are stale, old versions.
Completely Uninstall the Distro version using Synaptis.
The Copy the Command shown on the Calibre Linux download page,
Paste that into a Terminal window.
That is the latest Calibre. ( You need to repeat this command to get each update. Save it somewhere )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
Kino
Enthusiast

Thanks theducks, that did it.