Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-05-2011, 02:25 AM   #16
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I just dug around in my archives and found that I do still have this. I revived it, and remember how good it was, before we had Stanza. I wonder why this still works with iOS5, and Stanza fell over (and there must have been a silent update at some time because when i first downgraded and reinstalled stanza, the bookstores with purchasables were still listed. They are not, now.)

Anyway... I'm considering converting all my books to pdb... (and to think thats what they were, before I converted to epub. damn)
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #17
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

kyteflyer, glad to read your report! eReader really shines. Can Calibre do a mass, batch-conversion for you of epubs to pdbs?

I've been exploring other ebook readers as a substitute for Stanza (as my 2nd reader to join eReader) and boy, are they limited or glitchy!

What's with the Kindle app having to show text full justified? And, in iOS 5, it flips the screen 360 if screen rotation is locked. Hard to explain, but it spins the screen around once before settling in. And no color themes, and distracting visual effects on page turns.

iBooks lacks the night themes, so that's really an issue. And no instant page turns without effects either (IIRC).

I discovered something wonderful about iOS5. They've built dictionary support into the iOS. It's the marvelous unabridged New American Oxford Dictionary that comes with all Macs. Just hold down any word (try it first in Safari to see how this works) and you get a "Define" choice that takes you to the dictionary. How cool!

I even got it working in eReader by selecting a word, choosing Note, then selecting it again, then sliding the pop up over to Define. Cumbersome, but it provides a full-fledged dictionary for eReader!

Shubooks looked promising until I found that it's searching and table of contents move to were absolutely glitchy. It kept returning me to the same place in the text. Strange, as the search function itself would find the right text, it just couldn't jump to it.
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #18
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I've come back to thius thread because I was having a cleanout of old CDs and found a truckload of .pdb files i had forgotten about. whats the easiest way of getting them into ereader?

[Edit] actually after painstakingly uploading some to personal content on fictionwise and then downloading to ereader, I am less impressed with it than I used to be (also, yes I realised afterward that calibre would do the job). It was as slow as a wet week to open even a basic book like Tom Sawyer, and god help you if you changed the font size. I've dropped it again and am having calibre convert everything to epub.

[Edit #2] I've also discovered that eBookMobi reads pdb natively and thats one of the apps one can "open in" when accessing via safari.. its all good.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 11-15-2011 at 05:39 PM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #19
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In defense of eReader

While it can take a bit longer to open ebooks, it shouldn't be a "wet week" Maybe there's something odd about the Tom Sawyer version that you were trying (illustrations?). But even so, once loaded, eReader is just as fast as Stanza.

No questions, that changing the font size takes time to ripple the changes things through, and it's worse than Stanza by far in that regard. But, realistically, how often does one do that? Typically, figuring which font, size, and margin settings works best is done only once! Once you have the preferred set up, eReader works just as well as Stanza. Indeed, it's dictionary look up feature is better than Stanza's.

In general, eReader holds its own vis-a-vis Stanza. (Although being older, it's less multi-task aware and doesn't instantly return to the same screen you left off. It briefly flashes the load screen, but much faster than a regular open.)

But if Calibre can do a convenient mass .pdb to epub, go for it!

I just like having two ebook readers in operation as it makes it easier to switch between books than switching books within one reader.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:51 PM   #20
lingchi9
Banned
lingchi9 began at the beginning.

Device: none
i like IOS4 more than IOS5...
lingchi9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lingchi9 View Post
i like IOS4 more than IOS5...
And this has to do with eReader how?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:15 AM   #22
roadgrl
roadgrl began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
I haven't been able to get eReader to open since I upgraded my iPhone to iOS5... anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions? I have eReader 2.1.3.
Otherwise, I have to convert all those ebooks to ePub format.

thanks
roadgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #23
robinson
Zealot

Very odd! That's the exact version I have and it's working like a charm with iOS 5. (It's worked with all versions of it.)

I can only think of the usual trouble-shooting steps.

1. Shutting down the iPhone completely (power button until red shut off blurb comes up and does so).

2. Restart and see if that helps.

3. If not, make sure that you have a copy of eReader on your computer in a safe place. Its name is "eReader 2.1.3.ipa" Search for that and copy it to a folder out of harm's way.

4. Backup eReader's stuff manually (connect your iPhone via USB cable, then use Disk Aid or some other such program to copy all of eReader's stuff to a folder for safe-keeping). (You can skip this step if you don't have any books or bookmarks you want to save.)

5. Delete eReader from the iPhone.

6. Reinstall it.

7. Keep your fingers crossed and tap to open it.

8. If all goes well, it should work fine, but you won't have the books or bookmarks you had before.

9. Use Disk Aid to transfer its stuff-- everything but the app probably would work best--into its folder, overwriting what's there.

10. Launch again, and you should be back in business.

Good luck!
Old 11-30-2011, 12:14 PM   #24
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
I can't find the ereader file. Is that something someone could email to me? I think mine got wiped out in the iOS 5 upgrade.
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:55 AM   #25
roadgrl
roadgrl began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Robinson, that totally worked, thanks! I lost the bookmarks, but they weren't terribly important anyway.
At least I've got my books back!
roadgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #26
freedom-chuck
freedom-chuck began at the beginning.

Device: iPod touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I liberated my eReader files, and then used Calibre to turn them into epub's. I'll use iBooks to read them now...it's been my favorite reading app anyway.

Lee
How did you liberate your ebooks, please? I've got lots I paid for but can't read now.

Thanks,

Chuck
freedom-chuck is offline   Reply With Quote