Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
applepie
Enthusiast
applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Nook, Kindle
Spy novels and super agent stories

I have just finished a spy novel "Miss Garrote" by Victoria Newhope. It's a well twisted story with a lot of interesting and rare information. The best part was about "rat ways", a secret system of underground tunnels dug under Europe. I've never heard about it. (I'm wondering if it's real.) So, I'd recommend this very informative, easy to read and entertaining book. Oh, almost forgot! There are few chapters available at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ID9LOA

Which spy novel or super agent story can you recommend?

Last edited by applepie; 09-02-2011 at 02:30 PM.
applepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
My favorite might not be a true "spy" story, but the main protagonist was definitely a covert ops undercover operator extraordinaire.

The Gemini Man

Reviews are mixed but I don't care-loved it and read it three times. I was hooked completely by the first chapter and often go back and read that chapter now and again.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
My favorite might not be a true "spy" story, but the main protagonist was definitely a covert ops undercover operator extraordinaire.

The Gemini Man by Steinberg

Reviews are mixed but I don't care-loved it and read it three times. I was hooked completely by the first chapter and often go back and read that chapter now and again.

Sorry for the double post
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I loved Adam Hall's The Ninth Directive, which I read last November.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:27 AM   #5
yahweh
yahweh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!yahweh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!yahweh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!yahweh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!yahweh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!yahweh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!yahweh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!yahweh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!yahweh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!yahweh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!yahweh is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
John Le Carre's George Smiley novels are the most realistic stories of the kind. Len Deighton's Game, Set, and Match trilogy was also very good.
yahweh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One obvious suggestion are Ian Fleming's "James Bond" books. If you've only ever seen the films, do give the books a try; they're very well-written.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
One of my favourites is Eric Ambler, of whom I recommend:
The Intercom Conspiracy
The night comers
The mask of Dimitrios (AKA A Coffin for Dimitrios)
The Levanter
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Robert Ludlum's work heads my favorites in the genre (along with LeCarre mentioned above) - The Osterman Weekend, The Bourne Identity, The Parsifal Mosaic, and many more.

His pacing in the older novels is a bit off to a modern reader but I'll also add Frederick Forsyth to the recommendations - The Day of the Jackal, The Odessa File, The Devil's Alternative, The Fourth Protocol and many more.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:44 PM   #9
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I now find the early/middle Ludlum work a bit dated in style, somehow, but the Fleming stuff has retained the edge - a little erudite, a little arch, yet well written and plotted.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #10
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I do like Le Carre's Smiley books. They made wonderful screen adaptations too. The ones starring Alec Guiness are superb and still available on DVD, e.g. this from Amazon.co.uk http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tinker-Tailo...4742070&sr=1-4

This US version looks very expensive http://www.amazon.com/Tinker-Tailor-...4742155&sr=1-2

It would be worthwhile for Americans to buy it from the UK and tweak the DVD player to play Region 2 stuff.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:07 PM   #11
Monaco
Monaco is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Monaco is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Monaco is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Monaco is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Monaco is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Monaco is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Monaco is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Monaco is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Monaco is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Monaco is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Monaco is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Nook
Forsyth and Fleming are definitely good. David Morrell is good too. The "Miss Garrote" sounded interesting, I read the few chapters on the author's website and want to read the rest - I got hooked! :-) Just looked on Amazon and the book is only 99 cents, which is a great price. Only that I have a Nook. B&N price for this book is $4.99, not as great. I'll download the Kindle app to my work computer and read from the screen. :-) (Yes, I can read books at work (or browse the internet) when it gets slow, and it does get slow a lot lately.) Since this book reads very fast from what I could tell, I might finish it in a couple of days. I just love spy books and seeing something new is always exciting, especially when the book is interesting and informative. Gosh, there's soooo much stuff I've learned in just a few pages. Training a child to be a spy isn't something new ("Brotherhood of the Rose" by David Morrell is one of my favorite spy books and the guys were trained from their childhood), but in this book it's a bit different: she is trained from the very first day of her life (very interesting how they did it!) + she's a girl, not that common. It all definitely sounds exciting and I'll have to read the rest asap.
Monaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:04 AM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
One of my favorite authors is Steve Berry. His books feature Cotton Malone, a retired US Justice agent who is now a bookseller in Copenhagen that can't escape his ex-boss as he travels the world on missions solving great historical mysteries, like discovering the Library of Alexandria and Alexander the Great's tomb. I also like the Alex Berenson and Vince Flynn novels, which are political spy thrillers.

Are you looking for books with strong female characters or by a female author? You might want to try Gayle Lynds. In addition to her own books, she co-wrote several with Ludlum in his Covert-One series. Most people link Daniel Silva to his Gabriel Allon series (which is very good). However, I also enjoyed his book The Unlikely Spy set in WW2 which features a female Nazi spy. A light and fun spy novel is Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination by Helen Fielding (of Bridget Jones fame); I wish she would write a sequel! I also like the Noel Hynd books, which are Christian spy thrillers starring a female US Treasury agent.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 01:21 AM   #13
paul1403
Exertion Avoider
paul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheesepaul1403 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Eco-Reader, Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy S2
Fleming's James Bond series is certainly worth a read... they are a little dated now, and definately un-PC (I'll leave that up to you if that is a pro or a con ), but still great yarns, all of them.

Tom Clancy's Cardinal of the Kremlin is also a very good spy novel. Everything you ever wanted to know about brush-passes, dead drops and so on...

Paul.
Canberra, Australia
paul1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:59 AM   #14
applepie
Enthusiast
applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.applepie can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Nook, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Are you looking for books with strong female characters or by a female author?
Well, female spies are more interesting because they are sly and complicated. Male spies are more simple. I personally like to read about women and their tricks. Men are more predictable. This is why I really enjoyed to read about Nicole Grant (aka Ms. Garrote). I also really enjoyed to read about the rat ways - the secret system of underground tunnels dug under Europe.
applepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:22 AM   #15
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
For an interesting spin on tunnels during World War II (every)one should read _Escape from Warsaw_ (originally published as _The Silver Sword_).
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote