Calibre won't install. I keep getting an error message that says:

"Calibre setup wizard ended prematurely because of an error."

But, it doesn't say what type of error.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
lsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:27 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsanders View Post
Delete the install file, reboot your machine, redownload the update file and try again.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:49 AM   #3
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
As administrator ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsanders View Post
Help!!

I downloaded Calibre 7-19.

I'm running Vista 64-bit, Home Premium.

Calibre won't install. I keep getting an error message that says:

"Calibre setup wizard ended prematurely because of an error."

But, it doesn't say what type of error.

Hi lsanders
I'm running the same OS as you.
Have not had any problems at all.
As stated you could have a corrupt download to install from.
But other than that I can only think about your "permissions" in Vista.
Are you an administrator ?
What Antivirus are you using - try disabling that when you install.
Keep us updated so we might help you out with this issue.
Cheers
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
lolagotit
lolagotit began at the beginning.

Device: pc, laptop & android
Error 2755 when trying to inslall Calibre 7.35 on Vista Pro 32

I keep running into this error when trying to install calibre 7.35 on my Vista Pro 32 laptop: Error reading from file

c:\Users\Lola\Downloads\calibre-0.5.35.msi. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.

Upon retry the error code changes to a package error code 2755.

I had no trouble at all istalling calibre yesterday on my Vista Pro 64 PC, even with all the firewalls and antivirus programs still turned on.

Nothing works installing calibre 7.35 on my laptop, including making sure I was logged on as admin, turning off all the antivirus and firewall software, trying different browsers (3) and trying a different download site.

Please help.
lolagotit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:11 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagotit View Post
I keep running into this error when trying to install calibre 7.35 on my Vista Pro 32 laptop: Error reading from file

c:\Users\Lola\Downloads\calibre-0.5.35.msi. Verify that the file exists and that you can access it.

Upon retry the error code changes to a package error code 2755.
This folder isn't encrypted is it? If it is move it to a unencrypted folder. Also ensure the temp folder is not encrypted.

You can try re-downloading the file and see if that helps.

Further info here.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:38 PM   #6
lolagotit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
This folder isn't encrypted is it? If it is move it to a unencrypted folder. Also ensure the temp folder is not encrypted.

You can try re-downloading the file and see if that helps.

Further info here.
None of them are encrypted and I've tried several times to redownload the file from two different sites.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:59 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
None of them are encrypted and I've tried several times to redownload the file from two different sites.
I'm at a loss except to give you the Ye ole help desk answer. Reboot and try again.

Hopefully someone more versed will come along with some help.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:33 AM   #8
lolagotit

Thanks for trying, anyway! What I need is a good gremlin hunter! This sort of thing follows me around everywhere I compute?! ;D
Old 12-28-2010, 03:50 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

Some random ideas:

1) ensure you are not out of disk space.

2) ensure that there is no installation of calibre on the machine. Delete c:\program files\calibre and c:\program files\calibre2.

3) if there is a calibre entry in the control panel 'programs' section, select its uninstall to remove it.

4) copy the calibre installation file from downloads to your desktop. The point of this is to see if you can copy it, or whether it has internal problems.

5) if none of the above works, check the drive for errors. Right click on c:, choose properties, then tools, then check drive. Choose 'automatically fix errors'. Windows will probably ask you to restart the machine.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #10
lolagotit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Some random ideas:

1) ensure you are not out of disk space.

2) ensure that there is no installation of calibre on the machine. Delete c:\program files\calibre and c:\program files\calibre2.

3) if there is a calibre entry in the control panel 'programs' section, select its uninstall to remove it.

4) copy the calibre installation file from downloads to your desktop. The point of this is to see if you can copy it, or whether it has internal problems.

5) if none of the above works, check the drive for errors. Right click on c:, choose properties, then tools, then check drive. Choose 'automatically fix errors'. Windows will probably ask you to restart the machine.
Hi Chaley,

That is great trouble shooting input but none of the above is causing the download problem on my laptop. There is still a download bug.

I decided to try FBReader on my laptop instead, because I really don't want to store books on my c drive anyway. There was no trouble whatsoever downloading FBReader with all of the firewall and anti-virus software still running.

Calibre is a fine program to use on my pc and I look forward to learning how to edit and publish ebooks myself.

Kind regards and Happy New Year.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #11
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
seems simple but this worked for me when I had a problem.. right click on the install program and pick "run as administrator".

I don't promise it will work
Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:37 PM   #12
lolagotit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Some random ideas:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie-Me View Post
seems simple but this worked for me when I had a problem.. right click on the install program and pick "run as administrator".

I don't promise it will work
Thanks to both chaley and Maggie for their input above but neither solved this installation bug. It keeps returning the same error message as stated in my original post.

At least I was able to install the reading program, FBReader, and I have calibre nestled safely on my PC.

Not wishing anyone else to bang their heads on this proverbial wall, I can only thank you for your efforts and wish everyone a Happy New Year!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:11 AM   #13
Maggie-Me
Zealot
Maggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with othersMaggie-Me plays well with others

Device: Kindle PW,Sony 700, Sony 950 (Daily Edition),Nook Color,iPad
Hey, last input, I had the exact same problem when I first upgraded to Win 7 (64)

Uninstall every thing you have for Calibre, make sure the Vista is upgradded to the latest updates

go back a couple versions of Calibre (they are on the site, try a month ago or something) see if it wil install, if so wait a month or so and try updating to the latest.

Maggie-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:52 PM   #14
lolagotit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie-Me View Post
Hey, last input, I had the exact same problem when I first upgraded to Win 7 (64)

Uninstall every thing you have for Calibre, make sure the Vista is upgradded to the latest updates

go back a couple versions of Calibre (they are on the site, try a month ago or something) see if it wil install, if so wait a month or so and try updating to the latest.

Well Maggie, that is a great idea for the next person who runs into this installation bug. I hope it works for them. As I said, I just need an epub reader on my laptop. So I will leave this mess for the next unlucky person who runs into it.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:11 AM   #15
Anapan
Anapan doesn't litterAnapan doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
I've been having similar problems for several versions. It always does a rollback after the progress bar gets to the end, and then says it failed to install.
I finally found a way around the problem. I used Universal Extractor to uncompress the MSI using the first option given (Admin).
http://legroom.net/software/uniextract
Afterward I simply copied the directory /Calibre/ into my Program Files directory and ran calibre.exe. Works like a charm.
Anapan is offline   Reply With Quote