Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #46
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Not syncing

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
ok. i'm confused. what are you trying to sync from and to?
Not syncing, want to upload photo instead. As you saw in my previous post, I had to upload photo indirectly through my home computer. What I would like to do is to be able to upload directly from Ipad to Internet. Now I can do that through my blogging app and now, photogene, but only to specific social sites. I can't upload image directly to here, for example, as an URL is required so need to be able to upload to a service like tiny pic so image has an Internet URL for posting.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:10 PM   #47
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
That will all be dependent on apps coming out that allow uploading to places like tiny pic, Photobucket etc.

With not having an accessible file system, you don't have the ability to just go to the web browser and browse and choose photos to upload to such sites like you can on your mac or a PC.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #48
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
ah ok. now i understand. sorry. yes, it will simply depend on the service you're trying to upload to. for a forum like this, unfortunately, there is no easy way to upload from the ipad. other sites like facebook allow you to upload from their app, or email them a photo. i have yet to see an application that allows simply, generic uploading to any site. would be kind of hard to write since sites have so many different ways of handling uploads, java, javascript, html, etc.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #49
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
ah ok. now i understand. sorry. yes, it will simply depend on the service you're trying to upload to. for a forum like this, unfortunately, there is no easy way to upload from the ipad. other sites like facebook allow you to upload from their app, or email them a photo. i have yet to see an application that allows simply, generic uploading to any site. would be kind of hard to write since sites have so many different ways of handling uploads, java, javascript, html, etc.
Right, so the app would to be generated from the specific service. I get it. Thanks for the input.
OK, I found that photo bucket does have a free Ipad app, here goes.......

Photobucket is the parent company of tinypic.com

nice! It worked! This photo was played with with Photopad (thanks Scott)

I'm so happy, doing the happy dance!!!

Last edited by MsAstoria; 05-11-2010 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Added more info
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:53 PM   #50
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep, most likely.

Someone could make a 3rd party that app that worked with certain photo uploading sites as well I suppose.

It's just one of many reasons I hate that there's not an open file system. It makes what should be very simple, built in tasks complicated and dependent on 3rd party apps to add basic functionality.
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 04:04 PM   #51
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibril View Post
Nope. iPad is a slate.
Actually HP is making the Slate
Lotus Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #52
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Esprit View Post
That's just a brand name.

Slate has generally referred to tablet PCs that lack keyboards. While "Tablet PC" referred to those laptops with the screens that flip around and could be written on with a stylus etc.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #53
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Quote:
actually saying you need a computer to sync isn't entirely accurate.

You cannot use the iPad unless you sync it to a computer first with iTunes. If a person does not own a computer (say their PC died, or laptop died and want an iPad as a replacment), and they get home to find out they cannot use the iPad because they have to plug it into a computer first, they are going to be extremely pissed.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #54
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
You know scott, anyone that says anything negative or posts anything negative about the love of his life is called a troll. He's called me a troll on numerous occasions for pointing out the serious deficiencies and issues with iPad and other apple products.

I note also that early in this thread someone makes the seriously mistaken assumption that the iPad is a netbook. Nothing could be further from the truth. It doesn't even have a real operating system how could it possibly be a full-featured netbook.
What amazes me is that he has been warned in public with the threat of banning, but yet he is still here, and still insulting people every chance he gets.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #55
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus Esprit View Post
Actually no one is making the Slate. It was cancelled.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #56
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
Actually no one is making the Slate. It was cancelled.
HP is apparently now making a tablet running Palm's Web OS (HP recently bought Palm).

I don't know if a mobile OS is going to cut it on a tablet form factor. When you get to a device of that size and cost I really want it to be able to a lot more. A simplified OS is not a problem for a phone, but if I'm going to use a device that is not really portable, I want to be able to use it as a proper computer. I have an Android phone, but I don't think I'd buy an Android tablet unless it was closer to Kindle sized and had a screen that I can read on.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #57
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
you're saying the ipad isn't really portable??? huh?
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #58
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
you're saying the ipad isn't really portable??? huh?
What he's saying is he's willing to take a simplified, stripped down OS that has a lot of limitations in functionality in a smartphone/PDA because of the convenience of the true portability. They fit in your pocket so you have them with you every second of every day etc.

But any tablet isn't that portable. It's lighter and easier to carry around that a laptop/netbook, but you still have to have a bag, purse, briefcase etc. to really carry them around with you.

So in giving up the portability of a smartphone/pda, he expects more functionality--i.e. being closer to a computer than a smartphone--so he wants more than a smart phone OS on a tablet.

I can feel that as I'm in the same boat. I'd pretty much only use a tablet in contexts where I'm using a laptop (or paper printout etc.) now--it wouldn't be a true portable device for me as it would hardly leave the house/office--just like my laptop currently.

To state all that more simply, there are different degrees of portability and he (and I) expect more functionality out of tablets with their more limited portability compared to smartphones etc. I don't need full computing power, but I need a tablet that leans more in that direction than the iPad does.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:00 AM   #59
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djgreedo View Post
HP is apparently now making a tablet running Palm's Web OS (HP recently bought Palm).
With respect, that's just rumour and speculation. All HP have said is that they've canceled their Slate project due to poor Windows 7 performance. HP have just bought Palm. So yes, joining the dots together, the smart thinking is for them to use Web OS in the Slate - but there's been no announcement of that from HP.

Personally I'd be amazed if we saw an HP Slate running Web OS this year - it's going to take months just to get the two companies blended together somehow, IMO.

Cheers, Pete.
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #60
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
I wouldn't be surprised if palm had already dabbled with the idea of a tablet before being bought, out of the various smartphone OS available, theirs looks like it is the one that should be able to make that transition with the least amount of changes being required.

New products from palm are probably going to be a higher priority for hp than then actual integration of the company since they will want to start earning back some of that money they spent, so you could easily see them making sure of new product before the holiday season.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote