Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 08:07 PM   #16
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
interesting harry7.. you joined mobileread today just to post two troll messages within 15 minutes of each other. i think someone is afraid of getting banned.

Last edited by scottjl; 05-07-2010 at 08:16 PM.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #17
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
interesting harry7.. you joined mobileread today just to post two troll messages within 15 minutes of each other. i think someone is afraid of getting banned.
I would hardly call Harry7's comments trolling. He likes netbooks and most people know that you like the ipad.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 08:23 PM   #18
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibril View Post
Nope. iPad is a slate.

Just think of a netbook as a 10 inch or less (maybe 12" now) notebook, generally without DVD drive, often with an ATOM processors, sometimes ARM (such as alway's innovating's netbook). They generally don't have touchscreens but always do have physical keyboards.

The biggest software difference is the OS. Most netbooks will run a desktop OS, perhaps slimmed down, but made for a mouse. iPad runs iPhone's OS, which has no mouse. Seems trivial, but turns out to be a big difference.

Different strokes for different People. I have a Acer Aspire One 11.6 inch screen with Vista Basic. Most people complain about Vista on a netbook but mine runs quite well.

I type about 40 words a minute and do a lot of typing for emails and for my job. I do not think I could type that fast with the ipad or any slate. I like the Atom processors...a bit slower but less over heating and greater battery life.

I have not used a mouse for about 8 years. I prefer a touchpad. You do not need a mouse for a netbook....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #19
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
I think the reason netbook sales are down is because everyone is waiting to see what kind of new netbooks in tablet/slate format come out. My netbook is about 3 years old but I absolutely love it. I am definitely in the market to upgrade my netbook but I want a tablet/slate. I think there are many many others waiting as well...
The other point about netbooks is that even the new ones don't actually offer you a lot more than older ones for most uses of them, so people don't feel the need to rush out and upgrade to the new models, it's why we have seen them increasing the screen size on netbooks and most of them seem to be planning to bring out slates as well since changes to form factor are an easier way to get repeat purchases.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #20
Lotus Esprit
Addict
Lotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enoughLotus Esprit will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I thought the iPad WAS a netbook?

I guess it's kind of like saying that the iPhone devoured cell phone sales.
Yes I did hear something about RIM being on the edge of bankruptcy because of the iPhone.
Lotus Esprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2010, 12:30 AM   #21
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
It's a ridiculous article. I seriously doubt that ipads will put more than a slight dent in net book sales. An iPad is not a netbook. A net book is a small, cheap, lower powered version of a lap top. The iPad is none of those things except being smaller.

There is a nice overlap between why someone would buy either a net book or an iPad...but it's not a one to one comparison. I do not foresee any time where ipads will sell even 1/3rd as many units as netbooks.

The apples to apples competitors are going to come from the Android tablets and HP with WebOS. Against these devices, the iPad should do quite well.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #22
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Another article about the Morgan Stanley analyst. http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...?taxonomyId=66

Some more examples. 27% of ipad purchases will be made instead of a desktop, 44% instead of a laptop!

One family of 6 computers fighting over the ipad, he'll only by more ipads not computers. In the authors own family his college son is ditching his laptop for the ipad.

There are many of us that do alot of stuff on computers, but there are many others who buy a computer and do nothing but surf the web, occasional email, and a game or two. For those the ipad may devour that segment of the market.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #23
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
It's a ridiculous article. I seriously doubt that ipads will put more than a slight dent in net book sales. An iPad is not a netbook. A net book is a small, cheap, lower powered version of a lap top. The iPad is none of those things except being smaller.

There is a nice overlap between why someone would buy either a net book or an iPad...but it's not a one to one comparison. I do not foresee any time where ipads will sell even 1/3rd as many units as netbooks.
It is not a ridiculous article at all, both netbooks and tablets fit into a similar role in that they tend to be a smaller companion devices to your main computer rather than your only machine, if you want to be picky then it is easy to point out their differences, but it is the relative positioning of the devices between smartphones and fullspec computers at the other that links them.

If you look at quotes from people such as the ceo of asus they recognise that tablets will have some effect on netbook sales, albeit not so specific as just the ipad.

While it may not be possible for just the ipad, it isn't inconceivable that in a few years the tablet market as a whole is at least 1/3 of the netbook market, after all hasn't the whole netbook market only existed for a few years itself?
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #24
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
I would hardly call Harry7's comments trolling. He likes netbooks and most people know that you like the ipad.
You know scott, anyone that says anything negative or posts anything negative about the love of his life is called a troll. He's called me a troll on numerous occasions for pointing out the serious deficiencies and issues with iPad and other apple products.

I note also that early in this thread someone makes the seriously mistaken assumption that the iPad is a netbook. Nothing could be further from the truth. It doesn't even have a real operating system how could it possibly be a full-featured netbook.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:54 PM   #25
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

i'd call creating a dummy account for the sole purpose of posting two anti-apple messages in this forum trolling. take a look, the harry7 account was created, posted 2 messages in 15 minutes, and disappeared. looks like someone trolling without the gumption to post under their real account. lol.

enlighten us kenny.. what is a "real" operating system..?
Old 05-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #26
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
i'd call creating a dummy account for the sole purpose of posting two anti-apple messages in this forum trolling. take a look, the harry7 account was created, posted 2 messages in 15 minutes, and disappeared. looks like someone trolling without the gumption to post under their real account. lol.

enlighten us kenny.. what is a "real" operating system..?
Of course you would -- you did, but you have no reason to believe that is even what happened. You're just doing what you always do, attack those who have different opinions and express them. As I said you've done exactly the same thing to me on numerous occasions. You need to learn that you are not the fount of knowledge you think you are and that your opinions are not the only perspective.

Most people are well aware what an operating system is and does. Sorry you don't.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #27
scottjl
Reader of Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Most people are well aware what an operating system is and does. Sorry you don't.
lol.. nice way to dodge the question. i've been using operating systems since the 70's. i'm well aware of what a OS is. apparently you're the one who can't back up your statement.

it makes me laugh when non-technical people make silly statements like yours and when asked to back it up you dodge the whole thing.

Last edited by scottjl; 05-09-2010 at 10:57 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:40 AM   #28
jibril
Connoisseur
jibril is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
Different strokes for different People. I have a Acer Aspire One 11.6 inch screen with Vista Basic. Most people complain about Vista on a netbook but mine runs quite well.
I complained about Vista 7 on my quad core desktop with 6GB ram.... which is why I switched to Windows 7. Either you have a serious GPU in that thing or it was tuned to low level graphic settings without all the jazz.

At 11.6", I really fail to see the difference between a netbook and a notebook, which had 12" versions out forever (even the old powerbooks). A far cry from the 7" they started out with.
Quote:
I type about 40 words a minute and do a lot of typing for emails and for my job. I do not think I could type that fast with the ipad or any slate.
Yeah, I agree.
Quote:
I like the Atom processors...a bit slower but less over heating and greater battery life.
Yes, but I think Arm chips are much superior for that, and possibly faster. However, Microsoft is locked into x86, especially the desktop 3rd party programs. Linux would be the least locked in as far as their entire ecosystem...

Quote:
I have not used a mouse for about 8 years. I prefer a touchpad. You do not need a mouse for a netbook....
Mouse, as in mouse pointer. The thing on the screen. It matters not if manipulated with mouse, trackball, or trackpad - pretty much the same paradigm as far as the OS is concerned.
jibril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:01 AM   #29
scottjl
Reader of Books

typing on the iPad's screen, you might be hard pressed to do 40wpm, but then again some people can send text messages on cell phones at very impressive speeds. It just takes practice. the nice thing is you can use a Bluetooth keyboard with the iPad, and even some USB keyboards...

jibril, Linux runs on a lot more than just x86 based chips...
Old 05-10-2010, 02:59 AM   #30
jibril
Connoisseur
jibril is on a distinguished road

Quote:
jibril, Linux runs on a lot more than just x86 based chips...
Yeah, I know, never said otherwise. Ran many distros for years, include several "Linux From Scratch", as well as other alternate OSes like Plan 9, AtheOS, and all BSDs...
jibril is offline   Reply With Quote