Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 06-12-2003, 11:35 PM   #1
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Wink Ease Of Use

I'd love it if all I had to do was HotSync and all became happiness and joy.

No more opening iSiloX and converting all my channels (sending them to my special folder) and putting the SD card into the card reader and copying over the files from aforementioned folder and returning the card and opening iSilo on the Palm and deleting all those annoying "_blahblahblah.pdb." copies (that cannot be found because they reside on the SD card, just like the rest) until I get to the real .pdb's that contain my most wanted info.

No more warGoogling trying to find the special URL that contains the secret "mobile" version of the website if I want if I want small file sizes (with petite conversion times).

No more biting the bullet and sacrificing precious MB's of the card for those websites that just take up, like, between 10 and 53 MB's. No more waking up 45 minutes earlier just to convert my iSilo files for the day so I can copy them over to the SD card.

No more heinous configuring sessions tying to determine the correct amount of blood, sweat and tears that each channel deserves.

No more reading a buncha forums (mostly Turcic) trying to search for like-minded queries so I won't look like a total dweeb when I post my mundane issue that was probably covered in "the old forums".

I like iSilo and everything (and I LOVE turcic.com), but I...I, um, ahem,...I I MISS AG!! <sob>

There, I said it. <sigh>

Being a Mac guy, I was forced to look elsewhere for my fix. But I miss the convenience of my easy high. Just push a button, get high. Now I feel like I have to grow the poppies and harvest the poppies and convert the poppies into drugs just to get my high.

(A little harmless drug metaphor/similie thingy.)

Well, regardless of what I want, the process of learning this new way of life hasn't killed me, but rather made me stronger. But still.

I need to marry a geek chick who's hella fine and wants to show me all this stuff as part of her wifely duties. But until then, I have you guys and girls.

Vented,
POL9A
Old 06-18-2003, 11:59 AM   #2
illustratton
illustratton began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie T665
Same here. After much hair pulling and looking at resources here and on the 'net I have gotten it down to just a hotsync to load my everyday channels. Thanks for all the help and suggestions on this site.

Mac OSX 10.2 w/ Sony Clie T665C
Advert
Old 06-19-2003, 09:07 AM   #3
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Ummmm.
Hmmmm.

Forgive me, but I'm not sure what your point was here. Have you figured out all this stuff or do you need help? Once you get over the hurdle of set-up, which we've tried to walk you through, it should be really easy. If it's not, please be more specific.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:02 PM   #4
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
The point was that this is the "Wishlist" portion of the forums and I wished for the simplicity of one-button iSilo. Not a million hours trying to find an answer which seems really easy to everone else but me.

Specifically I'd like:

1) The ability to schedule my conversion. I've gone into iSiloX at the "Scheduling" tab and typed into each of my channels the time and frequency that I'd like my channels converted and all that happened was...nothing. No conversions. Back to converting them manually.

2) The ability to have link depth and still have smallish file sizes. I broached the topic in the "iSilo Usage" board and got a link to another thread that said I should just strip out all the banners and such and that if I look around I should find the means to do so. I'm still looking and still not finding and am weighing whether or not this subject is worth asking about again or if all the old-timers are tired of responding to questions like this and just ignore them.

3) The ability to have My Yahoo! as before with the password thingy that works and I can sign in and have my customized Yahoo-ness.

Meanwhile, lest it be thought of as an under-appreciative attitude on my part, let me also tell you that Ireally dig the supportive atmosphere in which people here seem to operate. I feel more comfortable being a neophyte here than in some other boards I've been to. In that vein, I want to honor the efforts of people here by making the honest and sincere attempt to find the solutions on my own before I resort to posting a new thread. That's why I'm so frustrated sometimes, because I know the truth is out there but sometimes either the truth and I aren't on the same page or just not speaking the same language (sometimes I'm not sure I'd recognize the truth if it was in front of me).

So, in repose, I am still floundering on an issue here and there, and I'm still trying to reconcile these issues on my own before I come crying to y'all. I simply miss the simplicity of AG where they have easily labeled AG-specific channels for my enjoyment or an easy (for me) way to customize a channel without getting Godzilla-like filesizes.

I like iSilo for it's limitless potential (the ability to run off the memory card, the ability to have those huge files if I want/need them). I just need to find a way to make it work for me and my comfort level.

Comforting.
POL9A

Last edited by Pride Of Lions; 06-20-2003 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:05 PM   #5
illustratton
illustratton began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie T665
>1) The ability to schedule my conversion. <

This can be done, I finally have it working on my Mac OSX 1.0.2. You need to use iSiloxC and go through a bunch of unix command line stuff (NOT what I own a Mac for). Then setup a "Cron" schedule (I used CronniX). Not super easy - but doable.

I have a edited wwc110.ixl file (with only the webs site that I am interested in). The "Cron" is set to convert the sites at three different times during the day and have it ready to hotsync. When I hotsync the files go direct to my Memory Stic (I have a Sony Clie T665) and then are ready for offline browsing.
Advert