Notices

Old 09-28-2009, 04:50 PM   #31
tommywatson
tommywatson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2 View Post
Aren't you just the crafty one?
I'm in Oz and have had to *massage* with a format to be able to read on my Kindle.
Despite having to fiddle around with the format, I love my Kindle.
I wonder how many are in Oz?
I have one. I purchased it with my own credit card and got it sent to my friend in California who sent it to me.
Then following the process in the post above, I created a Amazon account with a gmail address, then I registered my Kindle to that address.
As above, I purchased a gift card wiht my australian cc and sent it to my gmail account. When I tried to purchase, it asked me for a billing address. Ijust entered a valid US address, ( across the road from my friends place).
Without this amazon would not let me use the gift card to purchase the books.
I love my kindle. it is especially convenient when reading in bed.
Tom Watson
Sydney Australia
tommywatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #32
tommywatson
tommywatson began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scroll1 View Post
What a great idea about the gift card.
However, when I have a search around amazon kindle bookstore, most of the books will be delivered directly to your kindle. Do they provide a downloadable link as well as direct delivery? I am assuming that you have registered the Kindle with amazon and then downloading the books somehow.
please explain. Has anyone else tried this?
cheers,
Wayne
Yes, you go to "manage my kindle" on the amazon site and you can select download to computer. The just transfer to your kindle
tommywatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2009, 05:55 PM   #33
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you have a credit card with a US billing address? Unless you do, you will neither be able to buy a Kindle, nor any books for it.
Yup, the easiest way is to find a friend/relative with a US credit card billing address, but if you don't have that available you may have a hard time getting one (you would have to buy through a third party, paying them some kind of fee for the purchase, might be hard to find someone trustworthy).

At this stage I would say one of the Sony devices might be a better choice?
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #34
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Kindle is getting some major play in Australia I see.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #35
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindorsey View Post
Kindle is getting some major play in Australia I see.
I wouldn't say major...

Minor play maybe?
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2009, 12:51 AM   #36
alcina
alcina began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
+1 for loving my Kindle, too
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohmi2
I'm in Oz and have had to *massage* with a format to be able to read on my Kindle.
Curious what has needed to be massaged as I've not had trouble with just downloading from Smashwords, Amazon etc and usb to the K?

The only thing I've had some trouble with is library books. We loaded some from the library onto the K while I was in the U.S. and it worked just fine. Tried to do so again while I was in Australia from the same library and I can't get it to work ... thread is here if anyone has any help!
alcina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 02:13 AM   #37
JohnAppleseed0
JohnAppleseed0 began at the beginning.

Its a piece of shit don't waste your money on a Kindle. I have a DX and it was a waste of money. PDF handling is shockingly bad, and without whispernet, its too cumbersome. Just be patient, wait for new readers to hit the market (i.e. B&N which i hear is going to use the 3G chipset). Or get a Sony Reader, i have a PRS-505 and it is great.
JohnAppleseed0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:34 AM   #38
coopa
coopa began at the beginning.

So where can we buy iKindle in Brisbane Australia?

Guys - any ideas where I can get one? I seem to be hitting brick walls everywhere!
Thanks.
A
coopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:53 AM   #39
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Hi coopa, welcome to MobileRead!

The Kindle only sells from Amazon.com. I have a webpage about Kindle in Australia here if you want to learn the specifics. A shameless self-promotion
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #40
uggubuggu
uggubuggu began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Aussie Kindle 2 power charger

For aussie users the digitor USB Power Adaptor (M9912) from DSE (I am sure most similar outlets would have same) for around $36 works without fuss or need to be connected to a computer.
uggubuggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #41
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-eBook-Reader View Post
Hi coopa, welcome to MobileRead!

The Kindle only sells from Amazon.com. I have a webpage about Kindle in Australia here if you want to learn the specifics. A shameless self-promotion
Nice site. I see you get quite a lot of traffic from YouTube.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #42
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomesque View Post
I wouldn't say major...

Minor play maybe?
You guys are quick to adopt, so I thin major is a matter of time?
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:39 AM   #43
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindorsey View Post
You guys are quick to adopt, so I thin major is a matter of time?
Do you mean 'thin major'=minor?
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:08 AM   #44
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggubuggu View Post
For aussie users the digitor USB Power Adaptor (M9912) from DSE (I am sure most similar outlets would have same) for around $36 works without fuss or need to be connected to a computer.
I just bought this power adapter on your recommendation... It looks great, small and handy, when traveling overseas. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it'll charge anything that can be charged by USB...

Thanks for the tip...
Old 02-04-2010, 03:08 AM   #45
lene1949
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilmafia View Post
But you need a U.S. card and billing address
Only if you don't want to pay the download fee of $2 for people outside USA..

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 02-04-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: devilmafia was a spammer; removed hidden img code