Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #16
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Can you get Aussie newspapers via Amazon/Kindle?
Only if they are offered by Amazon under their 'Kindle Newspapers' section......and i don't think they are.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:48 AM   #17
hanasea
Enthusiast
hanasea began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPod Touch
Question Is is True?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Uh... nope. If you have a NON US card registered you can't buy. But, if you have no credit card registered and have gift card balance you can.

BOb
I think I just sent PM for you. so familiar name =)

I live outside of US, and I'm getting a kindle(it will be come within 2 weeks- I got this from Ebay) and I'm look forward to buy something from Amazon bookstore.

I was stuck with none-us credit card issue, and very sad.

I guess I would like to try this one too... /cry

Last edited by hanasea; 01-25-2009 at 04:53 AM.
hanasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2009, 03:02 AM   #18
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValMac View Post
I am considering buying a Kindle if I can obtain content for it in Australia. Does anyone have experience with this, and if how do I go about obtaining content. Is there an adequate choice of e-books from whatever source you use?

Did you get a Kindle yet?
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:10 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Can you get Aussie newspapers via Amazon/Kindle?
I don't believe so. Do you think that there are a sufficient number of Australians living in the US to make it economically viable to produce a Kindle edition of an Australian newspaper?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #20
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
While Amazon does offer some foreign newpapers, there are no Aussie papers that I can see.

However, I would think that Calibre (now that it works with the Kindle) could be useful as a way to get such content (though by USB connection rather than whispernet).
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't believe so. Do you think that there are a sufficient number of Australians living in the US to make it economically viable to produce a Kindle edition of an Australian newspaper?
Considering that the cost of producing such newspapers for Amazon in $0, I don't see why not.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:26 AM   #22
scroll1
scroll1 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
What a great idea about the gift card.
However, when I have a search around amazon kindle bookstore, most of the books will be delivered directly to your kindle. Do they provide a downloadable link as well as direct delivery? I am assuming that you have registered the Kindle with amazon and then downloading the books somehow.
please explain. Has anyone else tried this?
cheers,
Wayne
scroll1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by scroll1 View Post
However, when I have a search around amazon kindle bookstore, most of the books will be delivered directly to your kindle. Do they provide a downloadable link as well as direct delivery?
Yes, you can d/l the books from your Media library to your PC and transfer them to the device via USB.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #24
BurBunny
Zealot
BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.BurBunny has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2.0 In Hand
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabo View Post
I have just been given a Kimble. I logged onto Amazon and set up account using Australian credit card and gmail account. Then I sent myself an amazon gift card to my other email. I then logged off and set up another amazon account with new email address and used gift card to purchase. I have bought 5 books and a magazine subscription. Same works for Apple itunes.
Totally brill, dude
BurBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:49 AM   #25
gabo
gabo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
US iTunes account

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
Genius!

But I thought you need a US credit card (or PayPal account) to register a US iTunes account.
Sorry should have explained a bit more twith Itunes, its worth it as the songs are cheaper on US site:

You can go to Ebay and buy US Itunes cards - just check with them that they will email you the card and not physically send it. Then set up an Itunes account in the US, use a US State and Zip Code eg Santa Ana Ca. 92704.

You may also need to trick your computer that you are in USA, just go to COntrol Panes and Reginal Setings and change this while you activate iTunes to your new account.
gabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #26
thatsthat
thatsthat began at the beginning.

Kindle 2 getting the books on device in Australia

Wow - great thread. I am a 'tech professional' and I am still mystified as to how to get the books on the new Kindle 2 device coming out shortly if you live in Australia.

I understand the 'hack' to get an account in USA and have done one in the past with Itunes however, it seems Kindle 2 is designed to get books on 'wirelessly' using evdo on Amazon's whispernet.

Can i assume this is not supported in Australia - if it is, do i need a carrier here to get the link to get books. Or will I always have a fall back option of transferring the books via USB?

link to kindle 2 page

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons...d_i=B000FI73MA
thatsthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:02 PM   #27
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
If you have a Kindle, you can certainly download your purchases to your computer and move them to the Kindle via USB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsthat View Post
I understand the 'hack' to get an account in USA and have done one in the past with Itunes however, it seems Kindle 2 is designed to get books on 'wirelessly' using evdo on Amazon's whispernet.

Can i assume this is not supported in Australia - if it is, do i need a carrier here to get the link to get books. Or will I always have a fall back option of transferring the books via USB?
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:20 PM   #28
thatsthat
thatsthat began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
If you have a Kindle, you can certainly download your purchases to your computer and move them to the Kindle via USB.
Thanks Bill - I assume this will hold for the Kindle 2 as well? I saw that the usb cable transfers files and audible mp3 etc. but it didn't say you could transfer books (maybe that is what they mean by kindle format).

So, on the download front to the device ...any ideas about connectivity ..i assume it is not supported in Australia?
thatsthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:32 PM   #29
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsthat View Post
I assume this will hold for the Kindle 2 as well?

So, on the download front to the device ...any ideas about connectivity ..i assume it is not supported in Australia?
From the Kindle 2 FAQ at Amazon:
Quote:
Can I use Kindle 2 outside the wireless service area?

Yes, Kindle 2 was designed with the traveler in mind.

If you have a computer with an internet connection and a USB port, you can buy and download content from anywhere in the world. You can make purchases from the Kindle Store on Amazon.com (www.amazon.com/kindlestore), download items to your computer, and transfer the files to your Kindle using the USB connection.

You can access all your purchases from the Kindle Store via the Manage Your Kindle page at www.amazon.com/manageyourkindle and have personal documents converted to a Kindle-compatible format and sent to the e-mail address on your Amazon.com account.

At this time, we are unable to offer the Amazon Kindle and associated digital content from the Kindle Store to our international customers due to our copy holder agreements. Please see "Is Kindle 2 available to customers outside the United States?" below for more information.
The "manage my Kindle" page is very easy to use. In addition if you want to get Amazon to convert other formats to MOBI (AZW) this can be done entirely via e-mail to/from your PC (and then USB to the Kindle 2).

Note that you can also load DRM-free MOBI from any source into the Kindle. These can be from DRM-free sources such as FictionWise multi-format, or FeedBooks, or Baen Books (and others), or from DRMed MOBIs with the DRM stripped using mobidedrm. This is probably illegal in Australia (I don't know for sure, but new copyright laws usually contain anti-circumvention provisions), but it is hard to see who is hurt by stripping DRM for personal use on ebooks you buy.

The EVDO access is via US Sprint cell phone network, so it is only available in the US (and not all of the US). That is in part why the download to computer mode is available. An important feature of this is that it just needs a web browser (i.e. any type of PC will do).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 12:56 AM   #30
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
I always download my books to my Kindle via USB.

Love my Kindle so much that I got another Kindle v 1 from eBay.

Bathroom Kindle?
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote