Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Gordon53
Gordon53 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kindle Fire HD and XP connection problems

Hi everyone, this is my first post so sorry if I make any errors.
A friend has a problem I'm trying to find a solution to. His Kindle Fire HD will not connect with Calibre. His O/S is Windows XP, and I have read many posts that recognise this problem and suggest updating to the latest version of Calibre and install the latest version of Windows Media Player 11. We have done this and while XP recognises the Kindle (ie it appears as Kindle in "My Computer") it will not interact with Calibre. I have ran Debugging mode and get the following results :-

calibre 0.9.23 isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-XP-5.1.2600-SP3 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', 'XP', '5.1.2600')
Python 2.7.3
Windows: ('XP', '5.1.2600', 'SP3', 'Multiprocessor Free')
USB devices on system:
[u'usb\\root_hub&vid10de&pid03f1&rev00a3',
u'usb\\root_hub20&vid10de&pid03f2&rev00a3',
u'usb\\vid_058f&pid_6362&rev_0129',
u'usb\\vid_0d49&pid_3200&rev_0001',
u'usb\\vid_1949&pid_0007&rev_0216']
Unable to get free space for drive: I
(21, 'GetDiskFreeSpaceEx', 'The device is not ready.')
Unable to get free space for drive: H
Unable to get free space for drive: G
Unable to get free space for drive: F
Drives detected:

No disabled plugins
Looking for devices of type: MTP_DEVICE
Cannot detect MTP devices

Can anyone please point me in the right direction as to what I'm doing wrong, as I understood the Winows Media Player 11 should have cleared up the detection of MTP drivers.
Gordon53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
hotwheelslover98
hotwheelslover98 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7"
I'm not sure if I read that right or not, but it looks like you are running the 64 bit version of calibre on 32 bit Windows. I'm not sure if I'm right about that, but I thought I give my input. That could be part of the problem.
hotwheelslover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #3
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Unless something has changed, Calibre on XP does not support USB connection to Fire HD...you will need to send books wirelessly. See here...and here.

Last edited by GoSharks; 03-27-2013 at 11:48 PM.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
Gordon53
Gordon53 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thanks for your reply,sorry for delay in replying myself I've been away on business
Gordon53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Shoot I was planning on going back to XP! I cant even get the Fire reconised on my sons Vista! Was ok on 7... Anyone know how they work on Win 8???
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
XP doesn't have MTP drivers. Windows didn't have official support without installing WMP 10/11 until the end of Windows Vista/beginning of 7.

I would try another USB port. The ones on the back of a machine have more power than the ones in the front. Some people say to use a powered hub, but the server option would be cheaper/easier.

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....kindle-fire-hd

Windows 8 would work, but I honestly would not recommend upgrading. It's just the most awful Windows version ever, and I've used them all. Like seriously, it's great for someone who has never touched a computer in their life, but not for someone who has been using Windows for the last five years or more. It's a huge learning curve.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:36 AM   #7
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
need help

when i try to syn via usb to windows xp the computer see kindle
but will only see as audio device

what i want to do is back up my kindle before letting my friend try my kindle.

problem is

kindle is seen by computer but the folers are all empty
please help
sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I've got Win 8.1, which I like better than any of the other flavors of Windows that I've owned BTW, and I've had no problem with my Fire HDX and Calibre (or with Calibre Companion). Don't know if that translates into the same ability with the Fire HD, but it probably does.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:31 PM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sian View Post
need help

when i try to syn via usb to windows xp the computer see kindle
but will only see as audio device

what i want to do is back up my kindle before letting my friend try my kindle.

problem is

kindle is seen by computer but the folers are all empty
please help
Your Windows Media Player must be updated to the latest version for XP to recognize the kindle as a device
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:44 PM   #10
sian
Addict
sian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanesian makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: kindle oasis ( 2018) kindle Fire hd 10 ( 2017)
just installed wmp 11 cant use it

i can see the kindle but all the directoies ie doc, music are empty
there no books directoy as far as i remember . ( not on computer at mo)

can some one screen shot what i need look at for wmp 10

it says to sync drag across but that not the problem

what id like to do is hide any other directorys that i dont need from my view.
eg only like to see
documents
videos
mp3

2nd question looking at the settup theres a folder called kindle. is this the books directory ( ugrading is confusing )

the folder i us on k3 is documents it has my ebooks in there but which folder is it on kindle fire?

Last edited by sian; 12-01-2014 at 06:28 PM.
sian is offline   Reply With Quote