Device: kindle
Thank you! Shall try again!
courton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #62
courton
courton began at the beginning.

What am I doing wrong????
1. Set up separate gmail account (US setting) and gift card. Gifted kindle to someone else. Set up US address.
2. When I am on Amazon it does show American listing.
3. But when I try to download book onto kindle or PC for kindle using the 1 click method a message comes up saying you are doing this outside USA and if I wanted to change the country setting.

I have read and re-read al the thread and still can't figure out my mistake. Please help!!
courton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #63
mar1gold
mar1gold began at the beginning.

I was about to buy a kindle, but wanted to find out what books I was going to be able to buy. I have an ipad - registered in Australia, and initially couldnt buy much at all. i actually then got an email from Amazon, telling me to change my country, which i did, and haven't had a probelm buying anything since. When i went to buy kindle though it seems you have to choose a country - if i choose Australia, will I then be able to change my country in my account to buy any books, or will I be locked into Australia? it sounds from this thread that people have been blocked ...
Any advice??? I dont reckon any of the readers are worth it for just what they are making available for sale in Australia!
mar1gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:54 PM   #64
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Amazon would never tell anyone to change their country unless they were a resident there.
Or did you mean Apple? In any event, people move and change address all the time.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:03 PM   #65
mar1gold
mar1gold began at the beginning.

i was surprised, i do have an American address though which I am sometimes at and have had stuff shipped to. It was Amazon, an email saying, we notice you have been trying to order blah blah, change your settings and it will work!
mar1gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:30 AM   #66
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar1gold View Post
i was surprised, i do have an American address though which I am sometimes at and have had stuff shipped to. It was Amazon, an email saying, we notice you have been trying to order blah blah, change your settings and it will work!
And you were in Australia at the time? Wow, there's a first! Maybe they thought that with your US shipping (as opposed to just a USA address) that you were just travelling.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #67
arlene1
arlene1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I wonder when Amazon will eventually come to Australia. It would be so much easier. So far there is only weird stuff on the Internet like this http://amazon-australia.org/ :-/
arlene1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #68
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlene1 View Post
I wonder when Amazon will eventually come to Australia. It would be so much easier. So far there is only weird stuff on the Internet like this http://amazon-australia.org/ :-/
My guess is all the government red tape (from both sides) to make that happen is higher than a mountain. Bureaucrats operate at a snail's pace divided by infinity. Well at least in the USA they do. There is probably some point of contention on one or both sides that needs to be ironed out. Assuming Amazon wants to operate directly in Australia.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:30 AM   #69
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Amazon would never tell anyone to change their country unless they were a resident there.
Or did you mean Apple? In any event, people move and change address all the time.
Amazon do often send you an email asking you to verify your address if you claim to be in one country, but your IP address shows that you're in another. It's a nuisance, but, as is generally the case, there are a small number of dishonest people who try to get around geographical restrictions by lying, who make things difficult for the honest majority.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #70
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
It is not necessarily dishonest to try and get around geographical restrictions to purchase some books. For example there are some titles which are not published in Australia and cannot be bought in Australia even though they are available to either USA residents or British residents. This is simply due to the, at times, absurd restrictions which are designed to maximise publishers profits not returns to the author.
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #71
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Amazon do often send you an email asking you to verify your address if you claim to be in one country, but your IP address shows that you're in another.
Often? I've never had one and regularly buy from Amazon Germany, Japan, US as well as UK... all from a UK IP address and have been doing so since 1996/7...(that makes me feel old)
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:41 AM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnymonster View Post
Often? I've never had one and regularly buy from Amazon Germany, Japan, US as well as UK... all from a UK IP address and have been doing so since 1996/7...(that makes me feel old)
I don't know how often, but it happens regularly; there have been numerous reports of it here at MR. Amazon will ask you for documentary proof of your residence in the country you claim to be in.

This doesn't happen if you simply visit somewhere (eg I've bought books from Amazon UK while I've been on holiday in the US); I suspect it happens if your IP shows you as continually present in one country while claiming to be in another.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #73
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Amazon do often send you an email asking you to verify your address if you claim to be in one country, but your IP address shows that you're in another. It's a nuisance, but, as is generally the case, there are a small number of dishonest people who try to get around geographical restrictions by lying, who make things difficult for the honest majority.
Yes, those terrible no-good very bad people who...

...go out of their way to pay creators for their work.

THE HORROR.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Yes, those terrible no-good very bad people who...

...go out of their way to pay creators for their work.

THE HORROR.
You may not think it's wrong, but it is the reason that Amazon have to go through the bother of asking people to confirm their location. If people didn't lie about their location, they wouldn't need to do it.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #75
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
You may not think it's wrong, but it is the reason that Amazon have to go through the bother of asking people to confirm their location. If people didn't lie about their location, they wouldn't need to do it.
Why do they need to do it?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote