Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
International iBooks stores: free content only

Kobo beats ibooks with international ipad bookstore app

Looks like the new kids on the ebook block are still tying to figure things out for the non-US markets.

Chapters/Indigo, Borders, Barnes and Noble and Amazon will all happily sell print and ebooks to Canadians from either their US stores or Cdn one...if it exists. Apple's app-store-like approach seems odd especially since they haven't managed to get the international stores running properly to coincide with the launch as they did with the US store...

There must be all kinds of distribution rights complexities that they're trying to iron out, but I don't understand how B&N, which has no Canadian presence, can sell to Canadians from the US but Apple can't.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
There are real pay for books in the UK store. They appeared late last night. Not a huge selection though and it's a terrible app for browsing.
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 02:01 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Apple's iBook store blows. don't waste your time with it. The other bookstore apps are very good.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
my bookstore preference:

kobo - good selection, decent prices, DRM free downloads.
amazon - best selection, decent prices, kindle app available on multiple platforms, books are DRM protected
apple - lowest selection, so-so prices, only available on iPad, books are DRM protected
smashwords - so-so selection, varying prices, books are DRM free

vote with your wallet.. go kobo!
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
So if I buy a book in kobo app how do I get it on my Sony reader.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
well.. this is the apple forum.. but you buy a book on the kobo web site, download the .epub file from their web site, and load it onto your sony using calibre or the sony software.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:53 PM   #7
Flub
Groupie
Flub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel isFlub really knows where his or her towel is

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, K2i, iPad 64GB+3G, K3, Nexus S
I was looking at books on the kobo website and their faq said they used Adobe Digital Editions. That means drm doesn't it?
Flub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #8
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
well.. this is the apple forum.. but you buy a book on the kobo web site, download the .epub file from their web site, and load it onto your sony using calibre or the sony software.
Yeh I would have the book ON my iPad so wondered how to get it off and onto my reader thanks.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #9
aladdino
aladdino began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Free novels

Publisher BIGfib Books are running some of there titles free for a promo in all of the stores (I think). Here are two novels currently free in the ibook store. (A
Nick Alexander - Reasons to say goodbye
Hugh Fleetwood - Dark Paintings
Both brilliant reads. Enjoy.
aladdino is offline   Reply With Quote