Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #76
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Carta screen has 50% higher contrast than Pearl. That's objective measurement, not subjective opinion.
Subjective opinion would seem to be the only thing that matters in this case.

If reader A's screen looks better than reader B's to you while reading, then it doesn't matter if B's screen looks better to a densitometer in lab somewhere.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #77
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Subjective opinion would seem to be the only thing that matters in this case.

If reader A's screen looks better than reader B's to you while reading, then it doesn't matter if B's screen looks better to a densitometer in lab somewhere.
But you need to compare like with like. A screen without a light diffuser is always going to look better than a screen with one, when viewed in good light. Of course, in poor light, the illuminated screen is going to win hands down!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2014, 02:44 PM   #78
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
A screen without a light diffuser is always going to look better than a screen with one, when viewed in good light.
That's a shame. I really need to spend some time with some of these new devices.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #79
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
You'd expect that, because the PW has a light diffuser which will inevitably degrade the image to a certain extent. When I compare the Pearl PW1 with the Carta PW2, side by side, the PW2 has much blacker text than the PW1.
Not on my Paperwhite. It's darker than the PWs2 I have tried which is why I never upgraded.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #80
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Yeah, that's good because it can be conveniently abbreviated as:
  • The All New Kindle Basic for '14
Oooo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

I say KBT...
Too long
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2014, 06:32 PM   #81
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
More than likely I suspect for the price it will be Pearl screen which is better than Carta. I have seen the PW2 and was not impressed with the so called Carta screen.
I don't know if you should blame Carta. The PW has a light layer and touch layer. The K4B is "naked". So it's not an apple to apple comparison.

The PW has both higher resolution and a supposedly newer better screen with supposedly 25% better contrast, and yet in daylight the K4B still holds its own against the PW in contrast. Curious, huh?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #82
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
I don't know if you should blame Carta. The PW has a light layer and touch layer. The K4B is "naked". So it's not an apple to apple comparison.

The PW has both higher resolution and a supposedly newer better screen with supposedly 25% better contrast, and yet in daylight the K4B still holds its own against the PW in contrast. Curious, huh?
Even with the light off on my PW1 it still does not have black text but my K4B and K3 both does. My K4S does not though it's has grey text so I do know eink varies but I cycle through 6 PW2 before returning them and keeping my PW1 which I am now selling to a friend.

I can't use front lit eink it hurts my eyes but I have no problem reading on my N7 or KF.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #83
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
^^^ Well then you'll probably won't like the voyage either. They added gorilla glass. Kindle, now with more glass than ever!

Incidentally my sister just got a K4BNT from best buy to replace the one she'd broken, so anybody who really likes the buttons may want to do the same. Soon you'll only able to get one from eBay, and maybe only used.

Last edited by Barty; 09-23-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #84
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
^^^ Well then you'll probably won't like the voyage either. They added gorilla glass. Kindle, now with more glass than ever!

Incidentally my sister just got a K4BNT from best buy to replace the one she'd broken, so anybody who really likes the buttons may want to do the same. Soon you'll only able to get one from eBay, and maybe only used.
Not even interested as I said front lit hurts my eyes. I am interested in the KBT that is coming out if it has the same contrast as the K4B does which is the best I have seen on a eReader but I don't use my K4B because of the buttons. if I do get a KBT I will either sell or give away my K4B.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:40 PM   #85
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I'm not sure what you are talking about? Everyone seems to accept the fact that Amazon has posted different info on different websites, and we are all pretty much confused as to which website(s) have the correct info.
I said at the time that I thought it was still a Pearl screen due to the price and the information on the US Amazon product page, but everyone flipped and said that it had to be Carta due to all of the International product pages.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #86
eSheri
Addict
eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eSheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3G, Sony 350, Kindle Fire HD, iPad Mini
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I like simple names, so I'll go with:
  • The All New Kindle Basic for 2014
I've missed you guys!
I have way too many reading devices but I just ordered the ANKBF2014 because of the great marketing move by Amazon: 5 interest-free easy payments of $15.60! I couldn't resist!
eSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #87
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by eSheri View Post
I've missed you guys!
I have way too many reading devices but I just ordered the ANKBF2014 because of the great marketing move by Amazon: 5 interest-free easy payments of $15.60! I couldn't resist!
I think that is Amazon's new thing - to offer the interest free payments to everybody. They tried to offer me the same for the Voyage: pay down 20% and pay four more installments later. Unfortunately they limit that to one device, and I need, or rather want, two. Now I just wait until I have the cash for both right away. Maybe by then reviews are in and not backordered no more.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:15 AM   #88
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I think that is Amazon's new thing - to offer the interest free payments to everybody.
No, not everybody. I've not heard of it being offered to anyone outside the US as yet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:25 AM   #89
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
This one showed up on the Canada site, nothing for the Voyage yet.
This looks great on the website. I may end up getting this at Christmas depending on how I can see it in person.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #90
ApK

Wait a sec, this is driving me batty:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
167 ppi * 6 inches = 1000 pixels diagonally
and 800^2 + 600^2 = 1000^2 according to good old Pythagoras
The problem with that is you first calculate a result of 1000 by ASSUMING 167 dpi for the diagonal. Then you are using that result in the theorem as a given, but it's only based on your assumption in the first place.

The problem with using the Pythagorean theorem for diagonal dpi, is that the theorem uses scalar units that would measure the same in any direction. Pixels are in fixed positions in a matrix, so you can't equate them with scalar units like inches. You will count a different number of them per inch depending on the angle you measure them on.

I think, after going back and forth a few times, that DT is right.
And nomenclature-wise, where has any manufacture used the term "diagonal dpi?"

Last edited by ApK; 09-25-2014 at 10:40 AM. Reason: No more editing now! Right or wrong, I'm sticking with this response!

Tags
kindle touch 2