Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #61
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
You are correct, pixels are not always square. And when they are not the horizontal and vertical resolution (ppi) is different. Across the diagonal is something else entirely, especially as the angle changes with aspect ratio of the entire screen. If you only allow a non-aliased line as diagonal, then that line is only made up by as many pixels as the longer of both sides has. In 600x800 screen that would be 800.

It makes absolutely no sense to say that the screen has 167ppi diagonally.
No disrespect, but you are confused by the nomenclature being used. The industry standard is to give a diagonal ppi measurement. Whether it makes sense are not is totally irrelevant as it is the industries standard measurement, like it or not.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #62
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
No disrespect, but you are confused by the nomenclature being used. The industry standard is to give a diagonal ppi measurement. Whether it makes sense are not is totally irrelevant as it is the industries standard measurement, like it or not.
No disrespect, but you are the one confused:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_density
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2014, 02:33 PM   #63
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
No disrespect, but you are the one confused:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_density
Whatever...
Old 09-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #64
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Whatever...

You are the one still under the impression that the diagonal has the same resolution as the horizontal and vertical resolution. Or that the industry standard is diagonal in case only one number is given for ppi.

If only one number is given it is because horizontal and vertical resolution are the same (aka square pixels). The diagonal ppi would be lower than the given number.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:50 PM   #65
Icelander
Icelander is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Icelander is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Icelander is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Icelander is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Icelander is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Icelander is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Icelander is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Icelander is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Icelander is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Icelander is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Icelander is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: None
This will (maybe) be my first e-book reader from Amazon but I'm not impressed by the customer support. I contacted them about the different screen specifications listed on the sites almost four days ago but still no reply.

Amazon.com Kindle store:

Amazon.com Kindle store for international customers:
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #66
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I wish they had kept the K4nt black and just dropped the price on it. Honestly, I love mine, I have no real reason to upgrade. Yes, the Voyage is all shiny and new, but the K4nt is just a work horse. It does everything I need it to do, very comfortable to hold, doesn't hurt my thumb. It kind of bothers me that I now have to pay $200 to get buttons.
I hope I can find one cheap as places start dumping them. If anyone sees them cheap, let me know.
Thanks!
S
It will be interesting to see if the contrast can compete with the K4 Black as it's one of the blackest text I have seen on eReader. The PW text was grey and got worse as you turn the light up. If it has good contrast like the K4B I will get one as I hate buttons and do not use mine but I need at least one eInk reader and prefer touch screen. I can't use Front lit they give me headaches.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #67
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
This will (maybe) be my first e-book reader from Amazon but I'm not impressed by the customer support. I contacted them about the different screen specifications listed on the sites almost four days ago but still no reply.

Amazon.com Kindle store:

I pointed this out last week... but everyone told me that I was crazy.
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #68
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post

Amazon.com Kindle store:

I wouldn't blame CS for an information screw up. CS works on scripts provided to them by the employees within the company that are supposed to know what is going on and why. They rarely know much of anything in the CS department, they simply read from scripts. My guess is that the web developers copied and pasted info from earlier releases and simply didn't verify that it was correct or simply failed to make the proper corrections. I suspect it is just sloppy work by the web developers and that it is so low on the corporate radar that no one has noticed the error yet. Your email complaint probably went into a bucket of unread complaints, to be perfectly honest. Until an Amazon employee with enough tech savvy actually notices the error, it won't get corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
I pointed this out last week... but everyone told me that I was crazy.
I'm not sure what you are talking about? Everyone seems to accept the fact that Amazon has posted different info on different websites, and we are all pretty much confused as to which website(s) have the correct info.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #69
iplers
Banned
iplers began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Sadly it will probably be even more closed than the Touch. Although some users advertise registering the Kindle to get most of the organizing features, say Collections, for the Touch and Paperwhite you need to jailbreak the device in order to get access to these functions. The new touch means a new set of jailbreaking tweaks and new issues. Sad.
iplers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #70
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

More than likely I suspect for the price it will be Pearl screen which is better than Carta. I have seen the PW2 and was not impressed with the so called Carta screen.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:49 PM   #71
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I like simple names, so I'll go with:
  • The All New Kindle Basic for 2014

Yeah, that's good because it can be conveniently abbreviated as:
  • The All New Kindle Basic for '14
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:55 PM   #72
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Yeah, that's good because it can be conveniently abbreviated as:
  • The All New Kindle Basic for '14

I say KBT = Kindle Basic Touch
Old 09-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #73
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
More than likely I suspect for the price it will be Pearl screen which is better than Carta. I have seen the PW2 and was not impressed with the so called Carta screen.
The Carta screen has 50% higher contrast than Pearl. That's objective measurement, not subjective opinion.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #74
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Carta screen has 50% higher contrast than Pearl. That's objective measurement, not subjective opinion.
So they say but I have yet to see it. I have two Pearl eInk Readers that have blacker text than any PWs I have seen in pics or person.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #75
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
So they say but I have yet to see it. I have two Pearl eInk Readers that have blacker text than any PWs I have seen in pics or person.
You'd expect that, because the PW has a light diffuser which will inevitably degrade the image to a certain extent. When I compare the Pearl PW1 with the Carta PW2, side by side, the PW2 has much blacker text than the PW1.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch 2