Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #16
cme
reader
cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
Actually I believe the new Kindle (touch, 2014) is still Pearl! From the Amazon specs page:
On all the other amazon pages (germany, UK etc.) it says carta ...
cme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #17
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
The promo video also says about "new high contrast screen". I believe it will be Carta anyway.
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 01:26 PM   #18
Cybrpnk
... in cyberspace
Cybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura aboutCybrpnk has a spectacular aura about

Device: Homebrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
Actually I believe the new Kindle (touch, 2014) is still Pearl! From the Amazon specs page:
Amazon.com changed the specs. On all the other Amazon pages it still says Carta.

Last edited by Cybrpnk; 09-19-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Cybrpnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #19
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I asked this very question last year and the basic response that I got is to wait and see what folkes call it on the forum. I intend to use the titles: basic, paper white and voyage.
And even that gets complicated by the fact that Amazon is referring to the Voyage as the latest generation of Paperwhite. Better than the old days though when it was always just "Kindle" according to Amazon.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:47 PM   #20
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by stutzj View Post
The Kindle Touch Basic seems more like a downgrade. Bulkier and $10 more than the K4B. Same ppi which I think probably will not pop as much as the K4B since there are more layers on the screen due to it being a touch device. I'm really surprised they didn't try to bump up the PPI to 212. Thanks but no thanks. For $40 more you can get a much better device with the PW2.
If it is IR touch, then there shouldn't be any touch layer. The touch will be facilitated via sensors around the sides of the screen at the bezel.
Advert
Old 09-18-2014, 05:54 PM   #21
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Quote:
Originally Posted by cme View Post
On all the other amazon pages (germany, UK etc.) it says carta ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroo View Post
The promo video also says about "new high contrast screen". I believe it will be Carta anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybrpnk View Post
Amazon US changed the specs. On all the other Amazon pages it still says Carta.
They better fix it STAT then!
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:11 PM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
The Kindle Touch Basic seems more like a downgrade. Bulkier and $10 more than the K4B. Same ppi which I think probably will not pop as much as the K4B since there are more layers on the screen due to it being a touch device. I'm really surprised they didn't try to bump up the PPI to 212. Thanks but no thanks. For $40 more you can get a much better device with the PW2.
So far I haven't found a lit screen that I like, so the new Kindle (KT2) would be better for me in that regard. But I agree about the downgrade in some respects. I like the fonts better on the Kindle 4 and (Kindle 3 Keyboard) then I do on the "Touch" class Kindles. The clearest, sharpest screen I have is my Kindle Basic Black (NT). I also like the size of the Kindle 4 better than the Kindle Touch (or Kindle Basic Touch 2). As for bumping up the resolution, Amazon probably figures they're already adding in Touch, Parent Controls, X-Ray, Translate, 2 GBs more RAM and a few other features for $10 more.

As for added layers on the screen ... I think this new Kindle Basic (Touch 2) uses infrared sensors like the original Kindle Touch.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:10 PM   #23
duydangle
Connoisseur
duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW|PW3
Touch 2 is the name I can think of lel. By the way Amazon US says it has pearl, not carta. I don't think it's basic because basic has buttons.
duydangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:25 PM   #24
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Its the new basic, the old one had buttons
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:56 PM   #25
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
So does it or doesn't it have carta?

I nominate KT- because it's kindle touch minus audio and TTS.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:04 PM   #26
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
how about kt-2
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
There are no added layers on the screen. It's using IR touch. You can tell by the fact that the screen is not flush with the bezel.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:33 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybrpnk View Post
Carta e-paper technology, 167 ppi, optimized font technology, 16-level gray scale.
From Amazon.com...

Quote:
Amazon's 6" display with Pearl e-paper technology, 167 ppi, optimized font technology, 16-level gray scale
It's quite possible that there is no such thing as an 800x600 Carta eInk screen. Besides, that would raise the price (IMHO).
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 02:52 PM   #29
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There are no added layers on the screen. It's using IR touch. You can tell by the fact that the screen is not flush with the bezel.
You're correct about the fact that the new Kindle Basic Touch (KBT?) has IR touch, so no extra layers. But that fact that the screen not being flush with the bezel doesn't necessarily indicate IR touch. My KPW2 has capacitive touch and also has a recessed bezel.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
how about kt-2
Let's go paleontological and call it the K-T Boundary
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch 2