Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
iTunes Security Questions or Apple Gone Wild

What's up with this idiotic trio of security questions? I just tried to download an app to my iPt4 and was hit with a request for my password and then assaulted by a Security Info screen wanting me to pick three security questions and answers.

This is getting ridiculous. Apple thinks it's a bank now. This should be optional.

Apple Institutes Security Questions for iTunes & App Store

Quote:
Apple began asking iTunes and App Store customers this week to choose and answer three security questions for their accounts. The questions are intended to be answered in the future for issues relating to account security.

The questions appear when downloading an app, song, or books through iTunes. The screenshot below was taken on iTunes on a Mac, but they will also appear on iPhone or iPad if that’s where you next access iTunes or the App Store (see note below on who’s seeing them).

Users are asked to enter their iTunes account password, and are taken to a screen where they are asked to choose three questions and provide the answers for those questions, as seen in the image below.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 04-23-2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: typo
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Yeah it was a real PITA. for me, it was in the middle of an in-app purchase on my iPhone.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I had to do it last night and the questions are things Ill never remember. I hate Apple so much. I wish they would just make iTunes work instead of the crap fest they have now on Windows
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got nailed today when I attempted to download SkyDrive. For these security questions, I always give an answer that has nothing to do with the question. For example: what's your favorite animal? answer: zircon
Old 04-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Yeah it was a real PITA. for me, it was in the middle of an in-app purchase on my iPhone.
The timing of these changes is always unfortunate since, instead of asking you separately, they do it while you are in the middle of some login or purchase. However, the questions themselves will only be needed if you forget your password, so far as I can tell. They also confirm with an email afterward.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
I'm considering the purchase of an IPad 2 but I'm not interested in dancing to this iTune !

If I get my eBooks, music and Apps from elsewhere will I still be confronted by this 'nonsense' (for want of a better word)
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:29 PM   #7
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
How would you get your apps from elsewhere?
Honestly at first I thought it was a spammy popup that came along with the app I was downloading. They really should've implemented it better but I don't understand what the big deal is. Most places do the security questions thing. I'm surprised iTunes didn't already have it.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
Honestly at first I thought it was a spammy popup that came along with the app I was downloading. They really should've implemented it better but I don't understand what the big deal is. Most places do the security questions thing. I'm surprised iTunes didn't already have it.
I too thought it was a spammy popup at first but after you get through it then its not a big deal. It could be handy recovery if you ever forget you password but as much as they ask you for it that is not likely .

In fact, except for sideloading of data, files, etc. I never use iTunes. You can easily get your apps directly from the app loader included with the iPad and there are ways to avoid using iTunes for datafiles. For example you can email them to yourself as attachments or download from a cloud.

I do use iTunes on rare occasions but not often.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
But not three questions. Three is absolutely ridiculous. For one question sites, I use the same answer no matter what the question is. Then I don't mind. But for multiple questions, I have to make a list and copy it. Super hassle.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #10
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Most of the sites that have my credit card information on file asked for 3 question. At least it's a just in case you forget your password thing. One of my sites asks for 1 of the 3 security questions everytime I log on.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I do use iTunes on rare occasions but not often.
I prefer iTunes for downloading apps, because it's easier. My iPod always asks me for a password (dumb, dumb, and more dumb) and my computer doesn't.

Inputting a password is such a hassle, because it involves lots of shifting between 4 different keyboards (standard, upper case, number, and special character). I hate doing it! So, when given a choice; I'll use iTunes any day.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Most of the sites that have my credit card information on file asked for 3 question. At least it's a just in case you forget your password thing. One of my sites asks for 1 of the 3 security questions everytime I log on.
Until now, only my bank asked for three questions. None of my credit card sites do. And for a site (iTunes) that has no forms of payment attached to it, asking three questions is lunacy.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:15 PM   #13
odiakkoh
Guru

Meh it's not like they purposely looked at your account, saw that you had no card on file and went overboard. Most people do have a credit card on file.
I guess it's just what you are used to. My sites ask me for 3 things anyway so I don't see the big deal. Your sites don't so you do see it as a big deal.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #14
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
But not three questions. Three is absolutely ridiculous. For one question sites, I use the same answer no matter what the question is. Then I don't mind. But for multiple questions, I have to make a list and copy it. Super hassle.
They have some interesting question choices:

In what city were you first kissed? (Nunya durn bidness, Mr. Apple...anyway, we don't have cities where I live)
What was the first album you owned? (Some of the younger folks may say "What in the Hell is an album???")
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
In what city were you first kissed? (Nunya durn bidness, Mr. Apple...anyway, we don't have cities where I live)
For me, no cities. It was a jungle in Africa; and I bribed her with a banana to wrest her away from a simian rival