Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #16
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli2k View Post
That's right, but when I uploaded an epub file, Goodreader didn't know how to load it in any external application.
Goodreader does support "Open In" for epub books.

When in the main Goodreader screen, select any epub book. A text box will open for you to "Select Viewer." Select the "TXT Viewer." The document will then appear to have opened, but you'll see no words and you'll get an "Error" notice. OK the error.

In the lower right hand corner is an out arrow. Pressing on it gives you some actions to select, one of which is "Open In." I've got several e-reading apps loaded that support open in, so the options I get are:

iBooks
BluefireReader
Stanza
Bam Reader
Borders
Kobo

ReadleDocs will also open an epub - but that's not really an e-reading app...

So, if you can get your epubs into Goodreader, it will let you open them in iBooks. Which is very handy, because I can use Goodreader to browse in my Calibre library that I have in Dropbox.

I mainly use Calibre2OPDS - but this is a good in-a-pinch method to get books off a server.

Hope this helps you use Goodreader to aid in opening epubs, albeit in a somewhat roundabout fashion.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #17
eli2k
eli2k began at the beginning.

Device: DPT-S1, Nexus 7, iPad Mini 2, iPad 1G
I must be using old ios 3.2 because it doesn't let me Open In for iBooks. Oh, well, I'll wait until I have time to upgrade to 4.2.x and play around with.

Update to ibooks 1.21, now it's working

Last edited by eli2k; 02-15-2011 at 06:44 PM.
eli2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 01:08 PM   #18
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I use iCab Mobile ($2 APP) to load directly off it's browser. I go to the web site and download the same way as if I was at a computer. I like to download in epub into iBooks but you can send to any of your readings APPS.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #19
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
"Start the Safari browser and type in the IP address and port of the computer running the calibre server, like this:

http://192.168.1.2:8080/
You will be happier if you use http://<ip address of computer running calibre server>:8080/browse. This is an updated interface to the calibre server.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:24 PM   #20
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
Here's the info from Calibre

"Start the Safari browser and type in the IP address and port of the computer running the calibre server, like this:

http://192.168.1.2:8080/

Replace 192.168.1.2 with the local IP address of the computer running calibre. If you have changed the port the calibre content server is running on, you will have to change 8080 as well to the new port. The local IP address is the IP address you computer is assigned on your home network. A quick Google search will tell you how to find out your local IP address.

You wills ee a list of books in Safari, just click on the epub link for whichever book you want to read, Safari will then prompt you to open it with iBooks."

Which can be found here if you scroll down.

http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...ghlight=ibooks

and Calibre's homepage: http://calibre-ebook.com/
Hmm, weird...

I can see the Calibre webserver and books from Safari, but when I click on epub, it shows the option to open with iBook, it actually opens iBook but the book is not being displayed or downloaded, nothing happens. I tested with DROPBOX and have no problem. I tested on the local host (where Calibre is running) and no problems either.

Calibre book's content is in an Ubuntu headless server, Calibre itself (program) running on my Ubuntu laptop using the server's folder as mount point and of course, iPad wifi on same network.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2011, 03:37 AM   #21
eugenemcardle
eugenemcardle began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli2k View Post
That's right, but when I uploaded an epub file, Goodreader didn't know how to load it in any external application.
Select Manage Files, select the epub in question, the Open with menu will appear and one of the options IS iBooks. I know, 'cos I've used it.
eugenemcardle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:30 PM   #22
eli2k
eli2k began at the beginning.

Device: DPT-S1, Nexus 7, iPad Mini 2, iPad 1G
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenemcardle View Post
Select Manage Files, select the epub in question, the Open with menu will appear and one of the options IS iBooks. I know, 'cos I've used it.
Yea... I had to update to the latest ibook software before it would show up as an option, I guess.
eli2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #23
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is an option for me but books never download or are being displayed on iBook.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:54 AM   #24
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Sometimes iBooks is very slow to download books and you may have to wait longer than you think you need to.

Also, the books go to a certain catagory within iBooks ... have you searched all your "shelves"?

Sometimes, you need to turn everything off and reboot the iPad to make it behave...

If none of the above helps, I've got no idea what's happening, because I, too, get iBooks to open a nook through Goodreader.

Sorry.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #25
jocampo
Layback feline

Fixed

Fixed!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=14

Old 03-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #26
Luckynp
Luckynp began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad; Sony: iPad
You can download books from Gutemberg direct to your ipad. Use Safari to go to the Gutenberg site, find the book you want, select the epub download and you will be given the option to open it with iBooks. Accept and it will appear on your iBooks Bookshelf.
Luckynp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #27
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckynp View Post
You can download books from Gutemberg direct to your ipad. Use Safari to go to the Gutenberg site, find the book you want, select the epub download and you will be given the option to open it with iBooks. Accept and it will appear on your iBooks Bookshelf.
Thanks for the tip.

I'm more into technical books (Oracle, MySQL, MS-SQL) and those are not usually free but need to buy from Amazon or O'reilly. But thanks for the advice!
Old 03-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #28
emt
Nameless Being

Just Use Dropbox

Get a Dropbox account - they're free for up to 2 Gbyte of storage. Then, drop your epubs (or whatever) into dropbox on your PC (or Mac) and sync with your IPad (download Dropbox for free from the App Store).

Dropbox will automatically offer to load the epubs into whatever ebook reading app that is on your IPad - couldn't be any simpler.

Calibre becomes a PITA to use after a while.

Last edited by emt; 03-04-2011 at 12:45 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #29
jocampo
Layback feline

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
Get a Dropbox account - they're free for up to 2 Gbyte of storage. Then, drop your epubs (or whatever) into dropbox on your PC (or Mac) and sync with your IPad (download Dropbox for free from the App Store).

Dropbox will automatically offer to load the epubs into whatever ebook reading app that is on your IPad - couldn't be any simpler.

Calibre becomes a PITA to use after a while.
Actually, I find Calibre a better solution, at least for me. Better organization than just drop files on DropBox.

I do keep my books on an Ubuntu headless server so it is more secure and convenient.

But I do have DropBox and I configured it on the headless server as well. I just don't use it for sync my ebooks.