Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
ru_bianca
ru_bianca began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
Getting ready to give up on Sony PRS-505, the list of problems keep growing...

I bought the PRS-505 and the problems just keep piling up.

First, I was able to put about 4 ebooks on the ereader before it suddenly started saying I couldn't because it was authorized to someone else. I'd bought it from someone, but Sony had no idea what was wrong because when they looked it up, it wasn't authorized to anyone else but me. That never got resolved and I'm still getting that error. I haven't transferred an ebook from Sony library since. I've reloaded several times.

Second, I've got Adobe Digital Editions, which has never asked me to authorize the ereader to it, therefore I've never been able to transfer books from ADE to the reader. It's supposed to give me a prompt as soon as I plug the ereader in, but I've never gotten it. Adobe doesn't even know what to tell me. I've reloaded several times

Third, I bought a PNY 1GB SD card, hoping I could format it to where I could just transfer the ebooks that way. I've formatted it several times, but neither the library or the ereader see it.

And to top it off, as of a couple days ago, the library isn't even seeing the ereader anymore. When I plug it in with the USB cable, my PC detects it just fine, but when I bring up the library, it doesn't detect it at all nor does it start charging.

Can someone please help me? I'm on the verge of throwing this thing out the window and just taking the hit for the chunk of money I paid for it.

Bianca
ru_bianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
wild_Willie2
Zealot
wild_Willie2 began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
Ok. Ik think I can help with the SD card.

Format it in a digital camera or other another portable device, that way I got my card to work...
wild_Willie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2009, 06:32 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Try the SD formatter. If that doesn't help, exchange the card, it's likely faulty.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Have you tried a hard format of the reader (erasing all contents)? That should fix any problems with authorization.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:03 AM   #5
jheaney
jheaney began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
What operating system do you have - I had a nightmare when I got a new PC that is running Vista 64. I had all the problems your seeing. Not sure if this helps, but I've given up using that and have reverted to my laptop that runs Vista 32, and it all works fine on that.
jheaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2009, 07:07 AM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I seem to remember something about having to run the Sony Library in "compatibility" mode..... Not certain though.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
macphersondh
Enthusiast
macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macphersondh has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Have you tried a hard format of the reader (erasing all contents)? That should fix any problems with authorization.
Really?

Here is my situation...

I had one of the first Readers but as I am UK resident a colleague in the US created a Sony Reader account and I was able to buy books through his registered credit card and reimburse him through Paypal.

I then upgraded to a 505 and my colleague gave the 500 to his Mother in Law so now there are two readers on the account.

Due to ever changing corporate laptops I now find that with both Readers still registered on this account, we never deleted old PC connections and now I can't register my newest laptop.

Sadly a month ago my colleague died and I really don't want to intrude into the family with something as trivial as sorting this account out.

So if the original statement is true, can I do a complete hard reset and then register my 505 onto the UK Sony site? But what about all my read/unread books?

David
macphersondh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #8
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by macphersondh View Post
Really?

So if the original statement is true, can I do a complete hard reset and then register my 505 onto the UK Sony site? But what about all my read/unread books?

David

Copy your books to your computer using Windows Explorer before resetting the Sony. Then you can reload them into your Sony. Also, you could try using Calibre to manage your book collection and load books to the 505. I do everything through Calibre and only go into the Sony software to download freebie's that I find out about here on Mobile Read. You can use Calibre to convert other DRM free file types to lrf or epub to read on the Sony too.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru_bianca View Post
Second, I've got Adobe Digital Editions, which has never asked me to authorize the ereader to it, therefore I've never been able to transfer books from ADE to the reader. It's supposed to give me a prompt as soon as I plug the ereader in, but I've never gotten it. Adobe doesn't even know what to tell me. I've reloaded several times
ADE will only prompt you to authorise your Reader if it's not already authorised. Go to the "Settings" menu on your PRS-505 and select "About". Does it say, somewhere in the text on that page, "This device is authorized for Adobe DRM protected content"? If so, that indicates that the device is already authorised.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I keep preaching that simpler is better. Skip the library software altogether. Plug in the reader, open "my computer," open "mobile device drive E" or whatever it calls your reader. Click thru the files until you come to "media," then "books." Drag and drop your books here. Disconnect and re-push the power toggle to close and re-open the reader. Your books will hopefully be there, nice and comfy.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:46 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
First, I was able to put about 4 ebooks on the ereader before it suddenly started saying I couldn't because it was authorized to someone else.
Ok, what is "it" and when exactaly did it say that? Also, where did you get the books you have a problem with?

Quote:
I'd bought it from someone, but Sony had no idea what was wrong because when they looked it up, it wasn't authorized to anyone else but me. That never got resolved and I'm still getting that error. I haven't transferred an ebook from Sony library since. I've reloaded several times.
Ok, so you are talking about ebooks bought from the Sony store? All the books show in your account, those that work and those that don't?

Quote:
What version of Sony eBook Library do you have? What version is the firmware on your reader?

Quote:
Third, I bought a PNY 1GB SD card, hoping I could format it to where I could just transfer the ebooks that way. I've formatted it several times, but neither the library or the ereader see it.
I could be wrong, but you may have to put them in a folder on your SD card. Someone that uses an SD card with the 505 will have to tell you.

Make sure you format it with FAT32 and NOT ntfs.

Quote:
Can someone please help me? I'm on the verge of throwing this thing out the window and just taking the hit for the chunk of money I paid for it.

Bianca
We'll try our best. It's just learning curve at this point I am sure.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #12
ru_bianca

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
ADE will only prompt you to authorise your Reader if it's not already authorised. Go to the "Settings" menu on your PRS-505 and select "About". Does it say, somewhere in the text on that page, "This device is authorized for Adobe DRM protected content"? If so, that indicates that the device is already authorised.
I checked the About page and it has Adobe and Adobe PDF are authorized trademarks...etc etc etc. Does that count? Besides, the reason I'm thinking it's not authorized is because when I bring up ADE, it doesn't show my PRS-505 under bookshelves. When I read up on it, ADE is supposed to show an icon for the PRS so you can put ebooks on it when it's authorized.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #13
ru_bianca

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I keep preaching that simpler is better. Skip the library software altogether. Plug in the reader, open "my computer," open "mobile device drive E" or whatever it calls your reader. Click thru the files until you come to "media," then "books." Drag and drop your books here. Disconnect and re-push the power toggle to close and re-open the reader. Your books will hopefully be there, nice and comfy.
I hooked up my PRS-505 to my computer, and I've got the little USB icon with the green arrow that says it sees it. On My Computer, it shows drives F G and H as associated with it, but when I try to open any of them it says "Insert a disk into drive --". That makes no sense.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #14
ru_bianca

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok, what is "it" and when exactaly did it say that? Also, where did you get the books you have a problem with?

Ok, so you are talking about ebooks bought from the Sony store? All the books show in your account, those that work and those that don't?

What version of Sony eBook Library do you have? What version is the firmware on your reader?

I could be wrong, but you may have to put them in a folder on your SD card. Someone that uses an SD card with the 505 will have to tell you.

Make sure you format it with FAT32 and NOT ntfs.

We'll try our best. It's just learning curve at this point I am sure.

BOb
I bought most of my ebooks off of either Books on Board or Diesel books. I don't have any from the Sony store. I've got version 3.0 of the Sony Library. The updated one you can download from the website.

Bianca
Old 10-05-2009, 04:48 AM   #15
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
I checked the About page and it has Adobe and Adobe PDF are authorized trademarks...etc etc etc. Does that count
If it's Adobe authorized, there should be a sentence at the end of that paragraph explicitly saying so...

Quote:
drives F G and H as associated with it, but when I try to open any of them it says "Insert a disk into drive --". That makes no sense.
Hmm... G & H would be the two memory card slots, so the message may be correct if no cards in them, but 'F:' should be readable.

Quote:
I've got version 3.0 of the Sony Library. The updated one you can download from the website.
I'm not clear if this is an issue with the Reader or just authorizations (as the 'F' drive is a concern.) I'd suggest though, that you make sure you've got the latest ADE installed any try & check what sort of authorization that it/you have, as I have vague recollections about it supporting a 'local-machine-only' level of authorization as well as a full 'Adobe account', machine-independent one, which is what you need... Make sure you're logged into that in ADE...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote