Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #256
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by markom View Post
Maybe some forum member here from Japan could confirm, deny or elaborate on its present use in those universities by searching their internet pages or local Japanese forums.
I'm not from Japan, but I did find this. Apparently there is going to be a lecture at a conference on Oct. 25th on the new displays. The phrasing in regards to the university tests is:
Quote:
Three Universities (Waseda, Ritsumeikan, Housei) are scheduled to start pilot tests for commercialization of the product.
So I guess that we didn't hear anything yet because the test haven't started yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Did it explicitly say it would not be a commercial product? Because they make prototypes of products before mass production.
I thought there was another term that indicated it was a one off, like "concept piece" or something?
I think that HarryT was saying is that if it becomes a commercial product it will not be this device in the sense that the specs might be different, the software options might be different and/or the design might be different from the prototype.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #257
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
I think that HarryT was saying is that if it becomes a commercial product it will not be this device in the sense that the specs might be different, the software options might be different and/or the design might be different from the prototype.
Yes, that is indeed what I meant.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #258
simond91
simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: icarus excel, sony 13" reader
i think i'm going to buy the icarus excel and wait for the sony 13 one...
do you know any alternatives that are big and with wacom?
and more importante someone have an experience in writing on wacom devices?

i'm going to use it at the university for annotating on pdf files.
simond91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #259
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wacom digitizers are excellent for writing on. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro with a Wacom digitizer, and the pen works beautifully. I'm not suggesting that you get a Surface Pro - it's a great highly-portable PC, but it's not a wonderful tablet - but the digitizer is very good.

If you're after a tablet with a Wacom digitizer, the Galaxy Note 10" is a good choice. I don't know of any large-screen eInk devices which have one, I'm afraid.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:42 PM   #260
simond91
simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Wacom digitizers are excellent for writing on. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro with a Wacom digitizer, and the pen works beautifully. I'm not suggesting that you get a Surface Pro - it's a great highly-portable PC, but it's not a wonderful tablet - but the digitizer is very good.

If you're after a tablet with a Wacom digitizer, the Galaxy Note 10" is a good choice. I don't know of any large-screen eInk devices which have one, I'm afraid.
i read something in those days about it and looks like that the biggest display for an ereader with wacom for now is 9.7" (icarus excel)... maybe due to the technology level they are now... in fact the only one bigger is the sony 13", which use the mobius technology
Advert
Old 10-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #261
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by simond91 View Post
i read something in those days about it and looks like that the biggest display for an ereader with wacom for now is 9.7" (icarus excel)... maybe due to the technology level they are now... in fact the only one bigger is the sony 13", which use the mobius technology
Pocketbook has readers with wacom and they also aren't bigger than 9.7". The digitizer itself is fine, but as the stylus is thin enough to fit inside the edge of the device I don't find it as comfortable to use as a normal sized pen/pencil/etc.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #262
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
latest news on the sony 13.3 inch ereader:
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...rials-in-japan
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #263
simond91

nice! sony is on the right way... but ami i wrong or at the end of the video the man talk about a realse period of the next summer?
Old 10-24-2013, 03:49 AM   #264
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
This ereader quite simply will be revolutionary for me. I use the Kindle DX for research papers and, though it is acceptable, it is not ideal. Tablets are not an option for me, since i hate reading in lighted screens. This one however, looks pretty close to perfect (from what i have seen on the video which is admittedly not much) . I also read some technical books in PDF form and having them all in one reader would quite literally transform my daily routine (and my professional and teaching library...)

I really hope Sony will put this on sale soon. I will pay whatever they want to eheheh
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:54 AM   #265
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Speed may be an issue for complex PDFs; the iPad has a much more powerful CPU than this device is likely to have, and some complex PDFs can take several seconds to render a page on that. I really wouldn't commit to paying "whatever they want" until we see what the real-world performance is like.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #266
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would not buy an Ipad in any scenario. The same with any LCD screen tablet, so that is not an option for me.

The big PDF files are an issue already in Kindle DX, so i am sure Sony engineers already have that in mind, besides, if they are testing it in universities, that should be an immediate complain from the students/teachers given the type of files that they usually use.

Last edited by Salgueiros; 10-24-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #267
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salgueiros View Post
I would not buy an Ipad in any scenario. The same with any LCD screen tablet, so that is not an option for me.
That's a shame - the iPad with the "Goodreader" app is a superb PDF reader. I need a colour device; I'm studying part-time for a degree in Egyptology and many of the PDFs I need to study have colour illustrations.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #268
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia

Well... it is not "superb" for me. But i am glad you are happy with it. I could never read comfortably for hours on a LCD screen and i could never be in peace with myself for buying an Apple product so i do not feel ashamed at all (i know that is not what you meant but i am just joking ehehe) .
Old 10-25-2013, 05:41 AM   #269
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
I think people sometimes have something different in mind when they talk about PDF files. For news magazines, or modern textbooks with a lot of images and colours, a tablet computer would be the best thing, of course.

But some people have a lot of facsimiles of historic books as PDF files, electronic photocopies of public domain books they made for (or got from) university, or something similar. For these kind of files this new development from Sony seems to be an ideal solution, since the Reader is going to be really lightweight and you would be able to carry some hundreds of books with you. That is something a lawyer or a philosopher will like, for obvious reasons.

For a philosopher, an iPad might be "not cool", just as a book from Plato might be "not cool" for people that like to read comic books on a tablet computer.

I'm really looking forward to this new development by Sony, but I think the price might be a problem. We'll see. I won't care about this device if it costs 400 Euros or more, since I won't pay that just for the fun to carry some books in PDF format with me.
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #270
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I think €400 is the very minimum that this device is likely to cost. €500+ would be my guess.