Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
stardustshadow
stardustshadow began at the beginning.

Device: none (yet!!)
In Europe! Help please!

Hey there! I am very new to this forum...I know you guys can help me, so I decided to join!

My husband and I both want ebook readers. We live in Denmark.

I assume that pretty much eliminates Nook...
I was thinking of an ipad, because it is multifunctional, but I think since it does not have liquid paper, and is bigger and heavier, I will rule it out for now.

So...I am down to these 'ideas' (feel free to suggest more if you have them, please!)

1) Buy a Kindle. Even though Whispernet does not work here, I should be able to use 3G all over Denmark. We are traveling to the US soon...if I buy a Kindle there, are there going to be problems with content in Europe? Getting a plug adapter is no problem. I am just worried that we won't be able to buy anything on Amazon.co.uk if we buy the Kindle in the USA.
Is there any reason (other than a power cord) to buy a Kindle and have it shipped to Denmark (from Amazon's website), or should I save myself the VAT tax and get it shipped to a family member in the USA?

2) Cybook Opus--cute and simple, and european so no worries there. But how many options for books would I have with this one (please forgive me, I am very new to this ebook stuff!)?

Another thing-I am hopefully going to law school next year. The Royal Library here has many ebook textbooks that they lend out. Is it possible to read any of these with either the Kindle or the Opus?

Thanks so much for helping...and like I said, if anyone has other suggestions for readers, please let me know...with the pros and cons!
stardustshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
As you are in Denmark, definitivly Opus over kindle. Whatever books you find in danish will be ePub with adpet drm.

As to the library, i've got no idea what format they are using.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Start with the ebooks.
Find out which format the royal library supports and which DRM they support.
Once you know the formats you can handle you'll know if Kindle is still an option or not.

If Kindle is not an option then your choices will be Pocketbook, Bookeen, BeBook, Sony, and most any other ADEPT-based ebook reader.
Pocketbook and Sony are both updating their lines shortly; Sony with a 5in model and a 6in model, both with touchscreens--Pocketbook has an excellent 5in model already and are adding new 6 and 10in models with and without touchscreens.

Main thing is, unless you only read DRM-free ebooks, the hardware is secondary to the books. Kindle's strengths are their bookstore, the whispernet network, and their pricing. (Plus, for now, their high-contrast screens).
The ADEPT crowd's primary strength is their shared DRM and access to library ebooks.
Decide which matters most to *you* to get started.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Hi stardustshadow and welcome to MR!

As EowynCarter said, you'll have to keep in mind what format ebooks you'll be reading (and lending from the library) are in and - as important - what kind of DRM the library is using.

As far as I can see over here (although born some kilometres south of Sønderjylland (in Holstein ;o) ) I can't speak dansk but guess some of the meaning) Københavns Universitets Bibliotek has some Sony eReader Hardware on loan too.

I'm not really into this but any reader you want to use with this ebooks will need support for Adobe DRM as provided with Adobes Digital Editions Desktop Program. You will find more info about this in the Sony-Subforums and the other device Subforums here on MR and in the wiki.

If you want to read pdf-documents with your future reader you'll have to bear in mind too that not all (small screen) devices provide good pdf readability. There is endless advice on this here on MR too.

For myself I did settle on the enTourage eDGe for business-pdf-reading (and annotation) in the end. But that comes with quite some price tag.

Maybe one of the upcoming new pocketbook devices are of some interest to you.

And, last but not least: For advice with the local market in Denmark ask some of your fellow countrypeople like e.g. Ea. There are quite a number of them here on MR.

All the best from the Baltic Sea!

beachwanderer
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustshadow View Post
1) Buy a Kindle. Even though Whispernet does not work here, I should be able to use 3G all over Denmark. We are traveling to the US soon...if I buy a Kindle there, are there going to be problems with content in Europe? Getting a plug adapter is no problem. I am just worried that we won't be able to buy anything on Amazon.co.uk if we buy the Kindle in the USA.
Is there any reason (other than a power cord) to buy a Kindle and have it shipped to Denmark (from Amazon's website), or should I save myself the VAT tax and get it shipped to a family member in the USA?
- There's no reason to buy a Kindle in the USA: just buy it on Amazon.com with a credit card. I live in Italy. I bought my Kindle DXG on 6th July in the afternoon. On 8th July in the morning an UPS courier was at my door with my Kindle DXG. And I payed 395 € (overall).

- There's no reason to buy ebooks from Amazon UK if you're not British. Just turn your Kindle on, turn wireless on, and go on Kindle Store.

- There's no reason at all to buy an ereader that does not have the new generation pearl eink screen. The improvement over the older generation is really remarkable.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
amazon.co.uk only sells to UK customers for now. That's true for Kindles and books, as far as I know. Amazon.com will sell you e-books, if they are not geographically restricted. Many are, but many are not.

I don't know about Denmark, but I get the feeling that European publishers generally favor ePubs with the Adobe DRM. You can only read those on the Kindle if you remove the DRM first (illegal in France, I don't know about Denmark) and convert them.

It's a hard choice, but as already mentioned, you have to figure out first what format offers the most books you're interested in.

I wouldn't recommend the Kindle unless you are only interested in English-language books, or ready do tackle DRM-removing.

I like the Opus, it's lightweight and easy to use
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Nothing to contribute here, I'm afraid Stardustshadow. But you seem to be getting some good advice. Nice to have your new company. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
stardustshadow

WOW, Thank you everyone! I feel overwhelmed!

I have a lot to look into and consider it seems.

The Opus supports
Adobe® ePUB/PDF Reader
Multi-format readerHTML, TXT, JPG, GIF, PNG

According to my research, any books bought or loaned in Denmark, through Danish sites and the library, would require something that can read Adobe digital editions format and EPub. I assume this is the same thing that the Opus can do?

Another question...If I bought an Opus, could it also work with books bought at sites like Amazon?

And...(oh, the questions keep coming!) is an E-Ink screen the same as the liquid paper function on other ebook readers?
Old 08-25-2010, 03:13 PM   #9
stardustshadow

Oh thought of something else

Would a Cybook Opus support a dictionary and how would that work? I have read that some ebook readers have convenient touch dictionaries...I would be interested in a Danish dictionary. I know it is obscure but I am sure it exists somewhere
Old 08-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #10
KunoK
Connoisseur
KunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enoughKunoK will become famous soon enough

Device: Gen3, Boox 60, K3, Sony T1, Sandra has a Sony505, 650, K3
I answered some of your questions in the "Introduce yourself " thread.
The Opus is a 5 inch reader, where Amazon's Kindle is a 6 Inch reader. 6 inch is probably the most used size, but there some really hardcore 5 inch fans. I have an Cybook Gen3, which is 6 inch and does the same as the opus. You can only use a dictionary on Cybook readers if you install the mobi firmware, and then you can't read epub. If you go for a Pocketbook, you can install what you can find of free dictionaries, but it takes some work finding out how to.
KunoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #11
stardustshadow

Hmmm...this is NOT easy.
Right now I am leaning towards a Cybook Opus, as I think I will get the best of both worlds (I think I should be able to get all of the 'new' books I want from Waterstones, instead of Amazon...).

Of course more suggestions and some research will help too.
Epub is magazines/newspapers? If I installed the dictionary I could still read books, I assume

I should try some of these out while on vacation if I can find stores that sell them(we leave saturday for the USA) and at the library here....it may help!
Old 08-25-2010, 06:02 PM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Another question...If I bought an Opus, could it also work with books bought at sites like Amazon?

And...(oh, the questions keep coming!) is an E-Ink screen the same as the liquid paper function on other ebook readers?
Only Kindle software can read Kindle books.
That means Kindle readers, but also smart phones, PCs, Macs, iPads, Android tablets.

That is why it is critical to determine if you want access to the amazon store or libraries; on dedicated readers it is an either/or proposition--one or the other, not both.

And if by liquid paper you mean Liquid Crystal Display = LCD, no; eInk is a different technology altogether.
eInk is a bistate technology where each dot that makes up the image (a pixel) is either on or off and stays that way until it is told to change. So display an image uses no power; what uses power is *changing* the image.

With LCD there is no image unless there is power and displaying anything at all takes power. That is why eInk readers run for weeks on a charge and LCD readers run for hours on a charge.

A second difference is that LCD displays (generally) have an always-on backlight so they can be read in the dark (but are overwhelmed by sunlight outdoors) whereas eink is (like paper) purely reflective and needs external lighting. Of course, the brighter the light, the better they look.

Again, you have to choose one or the other.

As for magazines/news papers; it depends on the publications.
Some come in Kindle format, some in epub; some in neither.

Whichever platform you choose, take a look at a free software program called Calibre; it can go to the web sites of many magazines and newspapers from around the world and download the accessible content to your PC and convert it to any ebook format you choose. With Kindles it can also automatically email the resulting file to your reader wirelessly for free.

There's a lot of research to do so be careful; define exactly what you want before you take the plunge. Choosing an ebook reader these days is a lot like marriage.
You are commiting to a long term relationship and changing your mind afterwards will be neither painless nor easy.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:57 AM   #13
stardustshadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
There's a lot of research to do so be careful; define exactly what you want before you take the plunge. Choosing an ebook reader these days is a lot like marriage.
You are commiting to a long term relationship and changing your mind afterwards will be neither painless nor easy.
Ha ha!

True, though-there is simply so much to consider that it is rather overwhelming.

What i need to determine is if I can live without Amazon's library. Basically, are the selections offered by Waterstones and other sites comparable in terms of selection. I guess its time to get researching!
Old 08-26-2010, 03:27 AM   #14
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
There's no reason at all to buy an ereader that does not have the new generation pearl eink screen. The improvement over the older generation is really remarkable.
Good point there.

So, if you need ePub support, that's
Cybook opus, Sony PRS-600, Pocketbooks.

Quote:
No, unless you take the bother to de-drm / convert.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:55 AM   #15
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Ha ha!

True, though-there is simply so much to consider that it is rather overwhelming.

What i need to determine is if I can live without Amazon's library. Basically, are the selections offered by Waterstones and other sites comparable in terms of selection. I guess its time to get researching!
I agree. Competing formats, stupid DRM policies, and geographical restrictions create unnecessary complications to buying and reading e-books. Hopefully the situation will improve in the next few years.

Basically, you have to choose between Amazon and other stores. I hate Amazon for forcing us to make that choice, but I have to admit that for English language books, they have an incredible selection, and their website, search engine, and reader feedback functionalities are unequalled. However, I do not not how many of the huge number of books offered at Amazon.com are actually available for European buyers.

On the other hand, European publishers and resellers are now very quickly building up their e-book inventories. I heard that Danish language e-books are incredibly expensive, so maybe it's not really a plus for you. But keep an eye on the British booksellers (except amazon.co.uk), they have a lot of books available to the rest of Europe. In ePub format of course. With Adobe DRM, yuck.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote