Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Weird connection problem

We have 2 computers, a laptop with Vista and a desktop with XP. We also have 2 readers, both Sony 505s (one red, one silver).

We just recently got the red reader and first I thought it was broken, because it could not connect to the desktop. To my relief it could connect to the laptop. Now I have downgraded its firmware to 1.1.00.18040. Still it would not connect to the desktop, it won't even charge from it. The other reader connects to my desktop just fine.

I have tried reinstalling the Sony Connect software and also the driver to no avail. Still, when I connect the red reader to my desktop, XP wants to search a driver for it - which it cannot find even if I put in the CD.

Any ideas how to solve this?
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:34 PM   #2
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Are you using the same USB port on the desktop each time? Or are you plugging one Reader into one port, and the other Reader in another port? If so, it could easily be an issue with the specific USB port. Just fishing here. Not all USB ports are created equal.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
kmvargo
kmvargo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Which USB ports are you using on the desktop PC and how old is the desktop? Many ports on the front of desktops do not supply enough volage to power or charge some devices (Had this issue with my Zune). Also if you are using a USB hub you could run into issues. Try using a port on the back of the PC and see if it charges or is recognized from there.
kmvargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Also, are you using the same cable for each reader? I'd try swapping those around as well. If you haven't already, I'd try the cable that works with the silver reader with the red reader on the desk top. Also, try other combinations. You never know.

Hope you get it figured out!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #5
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Same USB port, same cable. It remains a mistery. And it will remain. For another reason I had to reinstall XP and now both 505s work just fine.

Thx for the tips though.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
lovemov
Enthusiast
lovemov began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Sometime 505 does show problems connecting via USB. I have Sony laptop, I just pop out memory stick and install everything onto flash. It's more reliable and formatting faster.
lovemov is offline   Reply With Quote