Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #1
Mr Pointy
Mr Pointy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sigil metadata - is it possible to add fields

I'm creating some epub documents and I'd like to add some helpful items within the metadata fields that currently don't have properties, i.e. number of words... does anyone know of a way of doing this?

many thanks!
Mr Pointy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Sigil supports the Dublin Core with regards to the metadata. Those are part of the format specifications as set by the IDPF. You are free to add any metadata you want additionally to that.
However, that custom metadata will not be used by readers or any other program. Some programs can perhaps learn the custom metadata field, but that is rare.

Addition of custom metadata must be done directly in the content.opf file.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
The syntax there is, for example:

Code:
<meta name="number of words" content="12345"/>
In the <metadata> block (I think it's called like that).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Toxaris,
Can't various metadata items be entered and edited via the Metadata Editor icon on the toolbar? Including the creation of unique fields? Or at least chosen from an expanded list of keywords or categories?*

I realize from your comment that no other software may be able to make use of this metadata, but at least if the OP wants to include it (perhaps for later use) the metadata is already present.

*: Sorry, I'm not running Sigil at present and I'm not sure I've used the correct terms. Hopefully the intent is clear.

Last edited by Sabardeyn; 06-17-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
Toxaris,
Can't various metadata items be entered and edited via the Metadata Editor icon on the toolbar? Including the creation of unique fields? Or at least chosen from an expanded list of keywords or categories?*
Via the metadata editor only the Dublin Core can be added.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
varlog
actually it is /var/log
varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.varlog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs t1
You can edit content.opf manually in Sigil. For examplary usage see for instance this thread.
varlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Toxaris,
Thanks for the clarification. I thought I had seen an expanded keyword listing that could be clicked or typed into via the Metadata Editor.

I remember trying this, but never saved. So I might not have encountered the verification process. And here I thought, once I got the database in better order, I could go back and include some additional metadata easily.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sigil metadata