Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #1
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle
Colored text for tags?

So, I was just reveling in the genius of the user defined column with preset text values and the ability to assign colors to those values. And then I got to wondering if it was possible to assign text colors to specific tags. Do any of the calibre wizards know if this is currently available functionality? For the record, I looked under the tag management menus and the look-and-feel menus, so I'm inclined to think it isn't possible. But better to ask and be sure!
ElMiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMiko View Post
So, I was just reveling in the genius of the user defined column with preset text values and the ability to assign colors to those values. And then I got to wondering if it was possible to assign text colors to specific tags. Do any of the calibre wizards know if this is currently available functionality? For the record, I looked under the tag management menus and the look-and-feel menus, so I'm inclined to think it isn't possible. But better to ask and be sure!
I set the colors of a DIFFERENT columns if a specific tag (phrase) is found in tag type column. The tag column is not even shown in the normal Library view
<In paper Library> tag = Author Green
(no formats found) = Title Purple
Webscription tag = Date Brick Red
Not all... User Tag = Edited Date (custom) Red

so while you can't set a specific Tag color... You can use a specific Tag to Set some color
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
ElMiko
Addict
ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.ElMiko actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Thanks, theducks. Just to be clear, if --for instance-- I want to have distinct visual cues for "Horror", "Sci-Fi", and "Fantasy", I'm S.O.L. when a book has two or more of those tags, correct?
Old 11-26-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks, theducks. Just to be clear, if --for instance-- I want to have distinct visual cues for "Horror", "Sci-Fi", and "Fantasy", I'm S.O.L. when a book has two or more of those tags, correct?
Color the Author Purple for Horror
Color the Title Lime Green for S F
Color the Date Sky Blue for Fantasy

Note I chose different fields. If the Tag values are mutually exclusive, you could set the color of a single field.
OR

Pick an Alternate color for Inclusive tags (tests must do these first)

Pink if Tags are Fantasy and Horror
Amber if S F and Fantasy

(then the singles)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:50 PM   #5
ElMiko
Addict

Y'okay. That's what i figured. Maybe I'm being too granular, anyway. I was just so excited by the text coloration option available in the user-defined columns (I use it to designate the kind of clean-up necessary on new books: preliminary metadata editing ["Preliminary"; green], adding table of contents ["T.O.C."; orange], or heavy reformatting and copy editing ["Copy Edit"; red]) that my imagination kinda ran with it. I should probably get out more.
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
You can do this with an advanced template if you want to write some complicated expressions. You would need to assign a color to each combination, then have the advanced template check for those combinations.

My guess is that this isn't worth the effort. I know I never would remember that green is "Horror and Sci-Fi" while blue is all of "Horror, Sci-Fi, and Fantasy".
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #7
ElMiko
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
You can do this with an advanced template if you want to write some complicated expressions. You would need to assign a color to each combination, then have the advanced template check for those combinations.

My guess is that this isn't worth the effort. I know I never would remember that green is "Horror and Sci-Fi" while blue is all of "Horror, Sci-Fi, and Fantasy".
Right, that's what the ducks was getting at. And you're right: colors for Tag combinations is more than my puny brain can remember (where'd I put my keys?). Being able to see a handful of tags individually colored wouldn't have required much brain power to remember (since the colors would really be functioning as highlights among all the other tags), and would've provided quick visual reference. That being said, I also think I'm probably being too granular, anyway.

Last edited by ElMiko; 11-27-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #8
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
You could make Genre column and at first try the coloring there. Then if you like the selections you can hide that column and transfer colors to some other column. Genre field won't disappear and will function as before.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote