Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #46
telharmonium
telharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post

To simulate 5-way keypresses, you'll have to open "file" /proc/fiveway and write strings like "send 108\n" to it.

Code:
103    = Up
108    = Down
105    = Left
106    = Right
194    = Select
If it's beyond your hacking abilities, I can do it for you.
I've just been scanning MyDispatcher.java and I have to admit it is beyond my current hacking abilities. I was hopeful as I code in Processing, but I see now that there is a big gap between that and java. So yes, please! I would really appreciate it if you could modify the file to accommodate the five-way controller.

Much thanks!
telharmonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:28 AM   #47
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
OK, I've implemented it as physkeyb improvement, download the new version here:

https://code.google.com/p/kindle-cs/...q=physkeyb_3.4

After installing delete file keyboard/keyboard-european.txt and replace keyboard/keyboard.txt with this (change the keys if you want):

Code:
enabledonstart=true
w=#f103
x=#f108
a=#f105
d=#f106
s=#f194
That means:
When W is pressed, send key code 103 (Up) to /proc/fiveway
When X is pressed, send key code 108 (Down) to /proc/fiveway
When A is pressed, send key code 105 (Left) to /proc/fiveway
When D is pressed, send key code 106 (Right) to /proc/fiveway
When S is pressed, send key code 194 (Select) to /proc/fiveway
This mapping is enabled on start, to disable/reenable press Shift-Space.

Changelog message:
Quote:
physkeyb:
- Reformatted java sources
- Added option enabledonstart to keyboard.txt
- Added ability to send low-level key events:
#<target flag><key code>
Examples:
w=#f103
- Send code 103 (Up) to /proc/fiveway when key W is pressed
o=#v114
- Send code 114 (Volume-) to /proc/volume when key O is pressed
f=#k191
- Send code 191 (RightNextPage) to /proc/keypad when key F is pressed
See https://github.com/dpavlin/k3libre/b...ts/keydefs.ini

Last edited by dsmid; 11-16-2012 at 04:31 AM.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2012, 08:50 AM   #48
telharmonium
telharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametertelharmonium can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

I'm so sorry! I think I've been an idiot. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way to jailbreak, and then to install physkeyb is to put the install files in the root directory (say E and then eject the Kindle and go to Menu>Settings>Update?

I've just realized that if the 5-way controller doesn't work, I can neither jailbreak or install physkeyb!

I tried putting the update_jailbreak_0.11.N_k3g_install.bin in the root and then resetting the Kindle, hoping that this would cause it to update itself with the jailbreak installer, but I got a message that the Kindle was unable to update itself.

I did the same thing with update_physkeyb_3.4.2-cs-sk_k3g_install.bin, but got another error message.

My only hope now is that I've misunderstood the procedure. If I haven't, I am sorry for having wasted your time. My apologies.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:52 AM   #49
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@telharmonium: Yep, you have to use the 'Update Your Kindle' link in the Settings' menu, the auto-pilot updater at boot is an entirely different beast, and won't take our custom packages .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #50
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by telharmonium View Post
My only hope now is that I've misunderstood the procedure. If I haven't, I am sorry for having wasted your time. My apologies.
No need to apologize, it was fun to implement yet another useful feature
I'm sorry for you...

All you need is to put physkeyb.jar to /opt/amazon/ebook/booklet/ .
What about using the debricking guide to achieve that ?
I can add it to this image, if you want.
Advert
Old 11-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #51
dsmid
Linux devotee

Or, if you have a Linux box, you can access the root partition via nbd with some help from k3flasher.

Last edited by dsmid; 11-16-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #52
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Sorry this won't help you but I was just thinking.

Pity that you did not install the Usbnet hack prior to your fiveway key being broken. Had you done so, you could have sent key presses (simulating the fiveway) to /proc/keypad from an SSH client just enough to launch the "Update Your Kindle" from the Settings menu.

Good luck anyway.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #53
telharmonium

Quote:
All you need is to put physkeyb.jar to /opt/amazon/ebook/booklet/ .
What about using the debricking guide to achieve that ?
I can add it to this image, if you want.
I've been reading the noob's guide to debricking at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3noobdebrickatk If I understand you correctly, you are advocating that I reinstall the Kindle 3's operating system from an image like an ISO, and you are offering to incorporate physkeyb into this image? Yes please, and thank you again for the kind offer.

I just have 2 questions.
1) Do I really have to charge the Kindle for 3 or 4 days? It's behaving more or less normally, I can read on it.
2) part of the debricking instructions says "Press the volume button." Does this mean you can press either the - or the + side of the oval volume button

BTW I think I live in a very different time zone (GMT + 8) than some (most?) of you. We seem to post at different times of the day. I just want to mention that I check this thread at various times during my day, and that I'm very grateful for everyone's help and attention.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #54
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
I've been reading the noob's guide to debricking at https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3noobdebrickatk If I understand you correctly, you are advocating that I reinstall the Kindle 3's operating system from an image like an ISO, and you are offering to incorporate physkeyb into this image? Yes please, and thank you again for the kind offer.
I just have 2 questions.
1) Do I really have to charge the Kindle for 3 or 4 days? It's behaving more or less normally, I can read on it.
2) part of the debricking instructions says "Press the volume button." Does this mean you can press either the - or the + side of the oval volume button
BTW I think I live in a very different time zone (GMT + 8) than some (most?) of you. We seem to post at different times of the day. I just want to mention that I check this thread at various times during my day, and that I'm very grateful for everyone's help and attention.
Use the volume down key, and charge at least until it gets to 100%. (or for 20 hours.)
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:28 AM   #55
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
If I understand you correctly, you are advocating that I reinstall the Kindle 3's operating system from an image like an ISO, and you are offering to incorporate physkeyb into this image?
Exactly.
Or you can use k3flasher in Linux to copy physkeyb.jar to its place over nbd, but that requires some Linux knowledge.
The image with physkeyb added is here: http://ge.tt/2TBY7nR
After you flash the image and reboot, copy the contents of userstore.zip to your Kindle over USB and reboot again. Then you should have your Kindle jailbroken and keys A,W,D,X+S should work as 5-way controller.

Quote:
As qlob wrote, charging to 100% is enough. That advice is meant for bricked devices that could be fully discharged and there's no way how to tell the real charge level.

Quote:
It's the Volume- button. At least that's what works for me.

Quote:
I'm GMT+1. I hope everything will be OK in the end.
Please keep us posted.

Last edited by dsmid; 11-17-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:28 AM   #56
telharmonium

Copy that. Downloading the files now and charging the Kindle. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Much thanks!
Old 11-20-2012, 12:58 AM   #57
telharmonium

Well, tried installing dsmid's images twice, based on the instructions here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/K3noobdebrickatk

I'm using FSL_ATK_TOOL_STD_1_67.

I also use mmblk0p1-3.4+jb+keys+physkeyb.img and main_kernel-3.4.img, renamed as rootfs.bin and kernel.bin

Everything goes OK, except for step 18: Unplug and reboot your Kindle.

Once I unplug the Kindle and press the power switch momentarily I get no reaction, even after a couple of minutes. I have to hold it down for 30s or more to get it to revive. However when I do that, it boots up, but the keys w,x,a,d and s don't move the cursor.

The file keyboard.txt is in there, though. Am I doing something wrong?
Old 11-20-2012, 03:15 AM   #58
dsmid
Linux devotee

OK, let's presume your Kindle is flashed successfully.
First, make sure you have a folder named keyboard/ in your user store containing file keyboard.txt (but NOT containing file keyboard-european.txt).

keyboard.txt :
Spoiler:
Code:
enabledonstart=true
w=#f103
x=#f108
a=#f105
d=#f106
s=#f194

Create a new file called debug there (keyboard/debug, without any extension)
Then create a new file named emergency.sh in folder linkjail/bin/ and put this inside (don't press ENTER at the end of line):
Code:
cp -f /var/log/messages /mnt/us/
Then please reboot, try using w,x,a,d,s and upload files messages and keyboard/keyboard.log from user store here.

Last edited by dsmid; 11-20-2012 at 03:28 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:49 AM   #59
telharmonium

Quote:
OK, let's presume your Kindle is flashed successfully.
First, make sure you have a folder named keyboard/ in your user store containing file keyboard.txt (but NOT containing file keyboard-european.txt).
Copy, but How do I see these folders? Is this something you have to do on a Linux box? I loaded an old Macbook with Ubuntu, but I'm still new at Linux. If you can tell me the program, I can muddle my way through.

Or is there a way to see these folders in Windows? I have a Windows XP 32 machine that I used to perform the debrick with ATK
Old 11-20-2012, 05:07 AM   #60
dsmid
Linux devotee

By user store I mean the FAT partition accessible from Windows over USB.
It contains the documents folder as well.

You should be able to find these folders there:

Code:
.active-content-data
audible
documents
music
system
keyboard
linkjail
Folders in bold are those contained in userstore.zip - you need to copy them to user store (+reboot) to make jailbreak & physkeyb actually work.