Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 08-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
TedPark
Zealot
TedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Sony 505
Various: Bible: King James Version, Complete; v1a; 02 Aug 2008

Until now there has been no complete, well structured, and highly linked Bible in native LRF format. Herewith is my candidate to fill the void. I am committed to providing the best quality text, the best TOC possible, and the best hyperlinking scheme. Any ideas for improvement are appreciated. Updates will be made as needed to keep this a state-of-the-art eBook.

And, as opposed to say a PDF eBook, this uses all the features of the Sony Reader and LRF files - beautiful crisp text, 3 sizes of fonts, automatic reflow done correctly.

There are three related eBooks in this post: 1) the complete Bible, 2) the Old Testament only, and 3) the New Testament only.

Each of the books is structured as follows:

1. The TOC (accessible via the reader menu - and having entries assigned to the buttons) is a list of the Books of the Bible in traditional order.

2. Within the eBook is a several-tier TOC that allows a relatively rapid way to get to individual books and chapters.

3. Also provided is an alphabetical list - accessible both through the reader TOC and the structured TOC internal to the document.

4. Every Chapter heading within the eBook has 6 hyperlinks that allow quick stepping forward and back by book and by chapter. Two of these links also allow a quick ascend to the book's TOC or the master TOC, as appropriate.

Although built to make the best use of the Sony Reader, the HTM text is quite straight-forward -- and so might very well work adequately with other technologies also. Given the complexities of the extreme TOC, some very particular options were needed with the CALIBRE html2lrf conversion. I am including scripts (DOS BAT files) for the assistance of anyone wishing to try a different format.

Finally an important (perhaps) observation. I tried all three of these files on my reader and used all three magnifications on each. None of them blew up my reader. I used to think that big and/or complex was a problem. But these files are huge and have a lot of links. So something else must be problem.

Given the nature of these particular eBooks, I present the statistics in a little different way:

metric...............Old Test.....................New Test...................Complete
-------...............-----------...................-------------.................-----------
books......................39..................... ...........27...........................66
chapters.................929...................... ........260.......................1,189
verses................23,145...................... .....7,957......................31,102
words.............~640,000......................~1 91,000..................~831,000
pages................~2,600....................... .....~780.....................~3,380
links....................6,546.................... ........1,851.......................8,397

Version 1a:

Adds the preface as requested.
Segmentation of the Chapter TOC for books with the most chapters.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Bible_KJVa.lrf (3.81 MB, 1293 views)
File Type: lrf Bible_KJV_OTa.lrf (2.90 MB, 926 views)
File Type: lrf Bible_KJV_NTa.lrf (942.4 KB, 919 views)
File Type: zip Bible_KJV_htmlA.zip (2.65 MB, 906 views)

Last edited by TedPark; 08-11-2008 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Version 1a
TedPark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Very nicely done indeed. Could I make a request for the books of the "apocrypha" to be added, please, and the KJV preface? They are both of very great historical interest. You'll find the preface here if you don't have it already.

More off-beat suggestions: how about a brief introduction to each book? Eg, we now know with pretty certain accuracy which of the "Letters of Paul" he did and did not actually write; the "Pastoral Epistles" of 1 and 2 Timothy and Titus, for example, are universally considered by biblical scholars to be pseudonymous works (ie written in the name of Paul by someone else). This kind of information is very useful to the reader, especially the reader who is perhaps not too well versed in biblical scholarship.

I've renamed the thread so it fits with the naming of our other Bible versions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
TedPark
Zealot
TedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankindTedPark has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

1. in re renaming - OK, thanks.

2. in re preface - OK, I'll add that soon. But may wait until/if there are any reported problems to make an update.

3. in re apocrypha - I could at least make a separate eBook in the same format and style. But a couple of problems. I was under the impression that there was more than one apocrypha, or more specifically there are a number of apocryphal books, but which ones are included or not and the order are subject to which religious tradition you follow. I also don't know of a version of this material that is clean as the KJV text I used for this. But having said all that, if you find the text and tell me the answers to the above, I could probably do it in short order.

4. in re off-beat suggestion - that is way beyond me. I wouldn't know where to stop. You could end up with an entire library of biblical scholarship, comentary, etc. etc. Further it applies to all Bibles, not just KJV and certainly not specific to this particular upload.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Very nicely done indeed. Could I make a request for the books of the "apocrypha" to be added?
I've already uploaded a King James version Aprocrypha.
Here's a link to the LRF version:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15069
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
And, if anyone wants aprocryphal New Testament texts I've uploaded Archbishop Wake's edition of non-canonical gospels etc.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18064
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
TedPark
Zealot

Patricia - thanks for posting these reminders on this thread. It will help people get the "whole picture".
Old 08-03-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Patricia's "apocrypha" is very nicely done indeed. In most Bibles, these books are placed between the old and new testaments. It would be nice to have it all together in a single volume.

Please don't interpret my comments as a criticism, Ted. I'm very impressed by your work; it's certainly the most easily navigated Bible that I've come across as an eBook!
Old 08-03-2008, 03:51 PM   #8
TedPark
Zealot

1. in re - all in ONE book -- now, you really do want to blow up my reader! I believe that would make the "whole bible" 50% bigger. But let me think on it.

2. For newbies and others to timid to have tried this - you can rapidly cycle ("woodpecker") the scroll down pad and the reader will remember and catch up with you. You don't have to wait for it to refresh and draw each new movement. You can also "up scroll" off the top and it circles around to the bottom.

3. I've finished adding the preface/dedication. I'll wait a few days to see if I get any other comments before uploading an update.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:19 AM   #9
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Size in e books

Thanks for your fine work on the Bible, Ted. You are right in size not being a criteria for failure of books. I have three sections of Canadian Military History I have taken from a website and converted, the largest of which is over 13 meg. (they have numerous illustrations) I have had no problems reading any of them, except for some slowness in initial loading. I have been using calibre for the conversions to .lrf, as opposed to some others so that could have a bearing on success.

If you are looking for things to do and not totally exhausted, how about a concordance?

I agree with Harry's off-beat suggestion of an introduction. The New English Bible (print) has them. But I am not sure where you would find ones which would not step on copyright somewhere. You might check with the people who run:
http://bibledatabase.com/index.php. They might have a suggestion.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:08 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Wiki articles, perhaps? I believe you're allowed to quote them provided that you credit the source.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #11
jnash
jnash began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700, HTC Here, and iPod Touch
Format Suggestion

I have been working on formatting a Bible also. My father-inlaw asked me to find him a Spanish language and I found this:

http://jolon.org/vanillaforum/commen...onID=32&page=1

The text is in XML so I wrote a small program that will read and parse the XML and generate an HTML file that calibre will convert. I took a similar approach to what was done here with the KJV with one important (at least in my opinion) difference. I broke up the chapter lists into groups of 10.

Let's suppose one wants to look up Matthew 19:1

Using the table of contents (KJV):

Page (3), Zero (1), Up (10), Select (1) = 15 clicks

Using the embedded TOC (KJV):

Page (1), Down (4), Select (2), Up (10), Select (1) = 18 clicks

I am still trying to understand how calibre builds the TOC so right now I only have the built in TOC that I've created with links. The clicks look like:

Down (1), Select (1) (select page of book-links that has Matthew on it)

Up (1), Select (1) (Matthew happens to be the last book listed on that page. Jump to Matthew)

Page (1), Up (2), Select (1) (Chapter 19 is on the second page of the list of chapters and it is 2nd from the bottom.)

Total clicks = 8

I think I could improve this a little if I thought some more about the layout of the lists and how many books or chapters are on each page. Since on-screen navigation is so slow I felt like it was worth the time to think about this.

I think this version of the KJ Bible is so much nicer than any of the other versions I have seen. Thank you so much for your time and effort!

-Jon
jnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:37 PM   #12
TedPark
Zealot

Or, I suppose you could go to extremes and use something like a binary tree without regard to sections or books of the bible. There are approximately 1000 chapters total, so you could get anywhere you want in 10 clicks. But I think it is important to utilize the natural and traditional breaks and groupings of the chapters. That being said, there is merit to your idea of further tiering down at least the larger (say, more than 20 chapters?) books. Psalms, in particular, is in need of some help. So far I rejected such a scheme in favor of absolute consistency from book to book. I'll stick this in the back of my mind somewhere and let the ol' subconscious stew on it for a while. Thanks for the input.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #13
TedPark
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
If you are looking for things to do and not totally exhausted, how about a concordance?
Or, how 'bout a "Bible Commentary"? There are several huge such volumes. My personal favorite is Isaac Asimov's Guide to the Bible. Really. Great stuff.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:47 PM   #14
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Back to the word processor

As I pondered all of the proposed additions, it occurred to me it was becoming like a test question. "In two paragraphs define the history of religious thought- be thorough but concise." LOL

To add something like a concordance without too huge enough effort, the index function of a word processor might do some good. Good for words, but not so good for ideas.

What is really needed is some of tools available to download on line, and a two monitor set up to keep from going back and forth, back and forth.

E-sword has a number of those tools.(www.e-sword.net) But they are integrated with his software. His KJV has the Strong numbers added.---(He thinks: great I get to start all over!!!)

I think the commentaries are a great idea if possible. So many times when I am reading the Bible it seems like there are so many things that were common knowledge to the people of the time that we don't share the same perspective. There are very few people in Europe and the US that are subsistence farmers as were nearly all the early readers of the Bible. It is so agricultural that it is hard to really get the point sometimes. The commentaries would help bridge the gap.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #15
TedPark
Zealot

Here is my current thinking. There are a numbers of "cons" to hacking up the TOC blocks with the chapters listed. In my view it provides inconsistency and uncertainity, it alters the flow and feel, and hinders obtaining a big picture view as you scan along. In other words, it seems to me to be a "look and feel" and "user experience" issue. HOWEVER, user JNASH is correct. For at least the largest books, SOMETHING must be done. So after weighing the pros and cons, I am leaning toward doing the following. For these largest books, split the chapter TOCs up into several blocks/pages as indicated in this schema:
Psalms.....150 ---> 30 30 30 30 30
Isaiah........66 ---> 35 31
Jeremiah.....52 ---> 25 27
Genesis......50 ---> 25 25
Ezekiel.......48 ---> 25 23
Job...........42 ---> 20 22
Exodus......40 ---> 20 20
I have been also considering the following set of next largest books, but so far have come down in favor of just leaving them all as monolithic blocks.
2Chronicles........36 ---> 20 16
Numbers............36 ---> 20 16
Deuteronomy.....34 ---> 15 19
1Samuel............31 ---> 15 16
Proverbs...........31 ---> 15 16
1Chronicles........29 ---> 15 14
Acts.................28 ---> 15 13
Matthew...........28 ---> 15 13
Leviticus...........27 ---> 15 12
2Kings..............25 ---> 15 10
2Samuel............24 ---> 10 14
Joshua..............24 ---> 10 14