Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
taildragger-j3
Writer AND Reader
taildragger-j3 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
LARGE pdf file

I have a very large (~20mb) pdf of airport listings that I have downloaded and would like to access via my 505. I moved it onto the 505, but when I tried to open it my reader locked up BIG TIME. I managed to get it to reset and deleted the file from the reader.

My question is does anyone have any experience with a big pdf like this -- is there any way the 505 will actually handle a file that big?

Thanks in advance.
taildragger-j3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I have no trouble getting 17-22mb comics & image-heavy ebook PDFs to open on my PRS-505. It does take a while (maybe a minute?) to open them the first time, sometimes. Not all the time--it seems that it matters how the PDF was made; just images are easy to open, even if they're very big; images & text are more complicated. The image-and-text ones also take longer to turn the pages, but not insanely long, just a noticeable bit longer than normal text-based novels.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:10 PM   #3
Oogami
Oogami began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Yah, I have a 900page, 162meg PDF on a SD card (all JPEG pages) when I read manga. No problems at all. Loading and page turning is only slightly slower then an ePub.

You mentioned that you're trying to open an airport listing? Maybe it's a complicated table format in the PDF? Mayb that's what's choking the Sony.
Oogami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:48 AM   #4
taildragger-j3
Writer AND Reader
taildragger-j3 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
162 megs on an SD card. . . HMMMM . . . Maybe that would be a solution. It's not really a lot of images or charts, etc. mostly just text. It works fine on my desktop & laptop. I REALLY scared me when I tried to open it on the 505 and nothing happened for several minutes. Let me try the SD card route and see what happens.
taildragger-j3 is offline   Reply With Quote