Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2010, 09:15 AM   #46
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactusgod View Post
Hang on here...I'm completely lost. I've owned my reader for quite a few days and I have known absolutely NOTHING about this activation stuff....

Granted, I've been using mostly PDF's and haven't been downloading books from any book store yet, but whats the deal with this? Can anyone explain exactly whats going on here from the start? If I were to download a book now, would the reader erase all of the stuff I currently have stored on the reader that have nothing to do with the book stores ? I'm thoroughly confused here..
I guess the first question is What Ebook Reader go you have. It says none on your tag at the left?

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #47
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
But didn't you say you can still currently buy DRM-Epub books from stores other than Sony? If that is true then the Sony Library is not using the right Adobe DE Id and it's that that needs to be fixed.

Take this with a grain of salt, but I think if you can get Adobe to clear out your ADE account, remove both the Sony Library Software and the Adobe Digital Editions software and then reinstall the ADE software and activate the Adobe account, then install the Sony Library Software with the same (new Adobe DE) account when it asks for that, you will be good.

I know this is all very complicated if you haven't dealt with it before.

You should be able to re-download the Books from the Sony account I believe.
This is what wirked for me when I loaded up the buggy versionof ebl and lost everything I hadn't gotten around to backing up.
The whole fiasco messed up the number of approved devices and I had to get a Sony tech to reset and redo the Adobe as well.
Everything works fine now. (knock on wood)
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #48
blueglide
blueglide began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
I didn't know the Sony techs could reset activations. I was told I had to contact Adobe for that. Thankfully, it was resolved but it would certainly simplify things things if Sony could handle the authorizations 'in house'. Perhaps Jim can clarify on that for future problems.
blueglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #49
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattncat View Post
This is what wirked for me when I loaded up the buggy versionof ebl and lost everything I hadn't gotten around to backing up.
The whole fiasco messed up the number of approved devices and I had to get a Sony tech to reset and redo the Adobe as well.
Everything works fine now. (knock on wood)
Glad it's working!
Old 01-03-2010, 10:39 PM   #50
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
I'm not sure why it's not letting you activate a new device. I just got a netbook and when I went to Sony to activate it, it just bumped off my beau's laptop because I had 4 readers and 2 computers already active on my Sony account. I don't recall it asking which device to bump, it just bumped off the newest computer. I've since gone on and deactivated my broken 505 so I can reactivate his pc should I have the need.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:25 AM   #51
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
Yet another call to boycott DRM

This thread shows how frustrating DRM can be. I honestly don't see why any well-informed person would buy a DRM-protected ebook if he can get the same book on paper for roughly the same price. If DRM still exists, it's because consumers are buying into it.
balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:38 AM   #52
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by balok View Post
This thread shows how frustrating DRM can be. I honestly don't see why any well-informed person would buy a DRM-protected ebook if he can get the same book on paper for roughly the same price. If DRM still exists, it's because consumers are buying into it.
True, but currently the non-drm choice of ebooks is very limited. So yeah the other other choice is pbook. So if we all buy pbooks then there is no incentive for publishers to change or to move towards removing drm. It maintains the status quo. Better to try and convince the publishers to adopt new ways, perhaps by continuing to complain and force sellers and publishers to help when there are problems as well as telling them directly as often as possible!
Old 01-04-2010, 08:07 AM   #53
Ncm
Ncm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
SolRaven,

You mentioned that you were bumped off after you tried to authorised more than 2 computers and 4 devices.

But isn't it the case that the number has been increased to "up to 6 computers AND up to 6 devices." I quote according to Sony's Reader Store customer support page:

"You are allowed to authorize up to six computers (via Reader Library) and up to six portable devices (via USB and/or wireless)."
Ncm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #54
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncm View Post
SolRaven,

You mentioned that you were bumped off after you tried to authorised more than 2 computers and 4 devices.

But isn't it the case that the number has been increased to "up to 6 computers AND up to 6 devices." I quote according to Sony's Reader Store customer support page:

"You are allowed to authorize up to six computers (via Reader Library) and up to six portable devices (via USB and/or wireless)."
That's news to me, but you're right, that's what it says at the Reader Store customer support page.

That differs from Sony's eSupport.
Quote:
The eBook Store from Sony allows up to six devices to be registered to one account. This means that multiple computers and Readers can be authorized to a single account as long as the total number of Readers and computers does not exceed six.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #55
Ncm
Ncm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500
Actually, I've tried with 5 ebook readers and 2 computers and it works. So I think the Reader Store customer support page is correct.
Ncm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #56
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
@Wetdogeared
Adobe DRM limits are (roughly) six computers and six devices.
Sony DRM limits are six devices (Computers and sony readers together)

For ePub (anything you download now) files you download from Sony, the Adobe rules are the ones that count. For LRX files (anything you downloaded prior to Dec. 2009) the Sony rules are that ones that count.

@blueglide
Yes Sony has a direct phone line into Adobe to get activation counts reset. The theory is that they can do this while you are on the phone with them. This theory also extends to Adobe Web support as well. In practice if you get a good Sony Tech support person it will be faster than going through Adobe. If you get a bad one, they'll tell you to contact Adobe.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:19 AM   #57
blueglide
blueglide began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
That is valuable information to know.
blueglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:49 AM   #58
balok
Ugly alien
balok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litterbalok doesn't litter

Device: tricorder
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
So if we all buy pbooks then there is no incentive for publishers to change or to move towards removing drm.
I don't agree. Market conditions will eventually force publishers to abandon DRM while continuing to publish ebooks. They're still trying to adapt the old model to new technology. The fact is that they need a new model that doesn't depend on selling single copies of books. They may have to move to subscriptions or publicity revenues, for example. DRM is a dead end because past experience has shown that it just doesn't work. Publishers will eventually realize that they can make more money by abandoning DRM and changing the way they do business. A consumer boycott would accelerate this process.
balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #59
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
@balok & Kennyc

I agree and disagree with both of you....

The way to accelerate the process from the old publishing model to the digital 21st century model is this. People who would actually buy a book (pbook or DRM bound ebook) to not buy it, and instead get it used, borrow from a friend or get a pirate copy. Actually take the money out of their hands. All three of those alternatives take the money from the author and the publisher. While I believe in all parties getting fair pay for their work, the consumer has the ultimate say. The publishers and the authors should work to please the customer, not the other way around.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote