Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:14 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
+1
Apple betting the farm?
Let's be realistic, people!
Apple is now in the same class as Microsoft and very few other big companies as companies that can operate for *years* without a single cent of revenue and not even blink.
Look at how long Sony has endured in the face of floundering management, mediocre to laughably bad products, and billion-dollar losses year after year.
Apple is going nowhere.
Apple is going nowhere? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but last year they made a profit which was something of the order of $20bn, did they not? That's hardly the mark of a company that's going nowhere, is it?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #17
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Apple is going nowhere? Please correct me if I'm wrong, but last year they made a profit which was something of the order of $20bn, did they not? That's hardly the mark of a company that's going nowhere, is it?
I think you misread that last line, I read it as meaning apple is not going to be forced cease trading if the iPad 3 failed to live up to expectations. "Apple is going nowhere" as in they're hear to stay. Perhaps it's open to interpretation but the paragraph before it put it in that context imo.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
I think you misread that last line, I read it as meaning apple is not going to be forced cease trading if the iPad 3 failed to live up to expectations. "Apple is going nowhere" as in they're hear to stay. Perhaps it's open to interpretation but the paragraph before it put it in that context imo.
I agree
Old 03-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #19
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Ah, little grasshopper. You don't understand. You don't see the cricket.
If i had found any actual content in your post, I would have responded to it
The original point this stands, the idea of Apple 'betting the farm' on something is ludicrous.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
OK. I read it as "not moving forward", "not making any progress", etc. But I see now that I probably mistook the meaning of the original.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:45 AM   #21
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
You can't be blamed, Harry. I understand JoeD's point, but you read the line correctly. It's the context of the last line that you missed (i.e., the implications of the entire post).

Fjtorres might not be aware that they're going nowhere is a colloquial expression which means someone is washed up, has no future or has reached a dead end.

I believe our illustrious friend was thinking of the phrase we're not going anywhere. Confusingly, said phrase means exactly what was intended: We're here to stay.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 03-07-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #22
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry. I meant Apple isn't going away any more than Microsoft or Amazon.
(Low blood sugar early in the morning.)

Last edited by fjtorres; 03-07-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #23
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Personally I do not like apple products however this rummor of an impending ipad 3 release is important in the computer industry because apple corp is a business leader that points the direction that further development of the computing industry goes. Even if I do not like apple or their products or intend to work with any of their products the advancements that apple corp releases as a part of the ipad model three is important because that will most likely be the direction that the indistry moves in the future. So I am rather interested in what advancements apple releases as a part of the new model. The introduction of a smaller and cheaper mini model would point to the indistry all having mini models of their products. I certainly do hope a mini model is some of what apple releases in the new models.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #24
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Disclaimer:

I am not an Apple's fan. I like Android phones, use Microsoft MS-SQL for living, but hate Windows. Also, if Amazon stops making good readers, I will probably get something different.

Having said that, I started to like Apple products. They just work. iPads are just one of them.

Now, why they have been so successful or continue to be, is really difficult to understand or explain. Their products are not cheap and others have accomplished beautiful and powerful hardware too, but without getting impressive sales numbers.

My humble opinion is that they have developed and promoted (over past 10 years) a strong brand. When a company has a strong brand or reputation, even the most insignificant product will get attention. Example ... Honda with cars, or BMW. It is well known that some of their recent models are not so reliable and actually too expensive to what they deliver.

Apple will have to produce a very crappy product for people to stop buying. Maybe that is already happening with Smartphones. However, his current CEO is not stupid and believe it or not, he is also part of previous iPad success; he was already working with Jobs behind scenes when those were introduced to people 2 years ago.

Last edited by jocampo; 03-07-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #25
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I wouldn't bet against Apple, they seem to always stay ahead of competitors.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
If a 7" model is released, I favor renaming the line: min iPad and max iPad

Spoiler:
Old 03-07-2012, 10:20 AM   #27
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Personally I do not like apple products however this rummor of an impending ipad 3 release is important in the computer industry because apple corp is a business leader that points the direction that further development of the computing industry goes.
Exactly.
I'm no fan of Apple's cooler-than-thou marketting or the cult of Jobs but that doesn't blind me to the reality that they matter. And they matter in a way that few companies in tech (Microsoft, Google, Intel, ARM) matter. These are companies that create markets even when they "fail".
As opposed to others, whose greatest successes can easily go unnoticed and be swept away by one of the big guys "failures".

I doubt I'll ever buy an iPad; their products aren't aimed at me.
But just because I have no use for their product doesn't mean that others won't. And what I might find personally find inadequate/inappropriate might be just perfect for somebody else--a lot of somebody elses--because I'm not delusional enough to believe I am representative of the mainstream.

If I were, Space Opera would rule TV and nobody would play soccer.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:23 AM   #28
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
If a 7" model is released, I favor renaming the line: min iPad and max iPad

Of course, it is too early for Apple to go against the Gospel According to Jobs so it is an iron clad certainty there will never be a 7in iPad.
A 7.8in iPad, of course is an entirely different creature.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #29
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
I don't think a bad product launch or three will spoil Apple's "mystique" (brand premium), I think their success will do that naturally - there comes a tipping point when enough people have a product that the cool people no longer want to have it, and when that happens they're going to have a tough time preserving their large profit margins.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #30
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 6p, Nexus 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

Of course, it is too early for Apple to go against the Gospel According to Jobs so it is an iron clad certainty there will never be a 7in iPad.
A 7.8in iPad, of course is an entirely different creature.
I think a 17.78cm iPad is more likely.
Closed Thread