Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #1
Bob Butler
Connoisseur
Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle, iPhone
Send to Device & Metadata

Could someone clarify something for me? If I change the metadata in my Calibre library, and then send the eBook to my device (Kindle) through Calibre, should the metadata changes be copied to the Kindle or are they only in the database?

I have several eBooks that show no author on the Kindle but do in Calibre.

Thanks

Bob
Bob Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you click "send to device" the metadata is updated in the files before sending to the Kindle
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
Bob Butler
Connoisseur
Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you click "send to device" the metadata is updated in the files before sending to the Kindle
That's what I did... I'll try to reproduce and open a ticket if I can.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Daffy tried to do this. She was creating a visual guide for it and was converting an .azw to .mobi and then putting that on the Kindle. Perhaps it just doesn't see .azw as mobi? I think she has de-drmed it.

daffy? Where are you? I couldn't find the thread.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah it doesn't set metadata in azw files. Will be fixed in next release.
Advert
Old 02-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Yeah it doesn't set metadata in azw files. Will be fixed in next release.
Brilliant... thanks.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:39 PM   #7
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
I too am getting weird results after changing the metadata in Calibre.

If I change author, and send it as a prc sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes "last, first" becomes "last and first". All my books are either mobi or prc. I just can't see a pattern as to what works and what doesn't.

I'm about to load ver 0.4.139 hoping that might fix it.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
I too am getting weird results after changing the metadata in Calibre.

If I change author, and send it as a prc sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes "last, first" becomes "last and first". All my books are either mobi or prc. I just can't see a pattern as to what works and what doesn't.

I'm about to load ver 0.4.139 hoping that might fix it.

cheers
Does one of them that doesn't work not work consistently? I mean suppose you change the metadata in book A and send it to device and the metadata is wrong. No delete from device and resend. Is the metadata still wrong? If so open a ticket and attach one of these files.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
Bob Butler
Connoisseur

Kovid, I saw your comment on the ticket I opened. If you can detect that a PRC is the in old format, is it possible to automatically convert it and add the metadata to the converted file? Possibly not worth the trouble since the Baen books are available in alternate formats.

The other thing that occurs to me is that the title metadata was updated, the author failed, so are you sure this is only an issue with Baen prc files?

Thanks
Old 02-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yeah in prc books the title is stored separately from the rest of the metadata, which is why it can be updated.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:39 PM   #11
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
On a related note, I was reading in another thread that that you can add books from the Sony store to calibre and then send them to the device. I assume these are DRM'd books and that calibre is simply copying the books over. Can support of this type be added for Kindle Topaz books? Right now, I can add them to the library to catalog them, but I can't use "send to device", I have to open the enclosing folder and drag-n-drop.

I understand that the meta-data would be unaffected, I'm just looking for a shortcut to copying.

Gosh, I just realized how lazy I sound
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #12
Jean
Zealot
Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx / Kindle 1 / ebookwise 1150 / Kindle Fire / Kindle Paperwhite
I have also edited the author metadata for my .prc files and sent them to my kindle via the 'send to device' button and the edited metadata does not transfer to my kindle. I haven't tried this with any of my .azw files yet. (I have the 0.4.139 update)

Jean
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:21 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
On a related note, I was reading in another thread that that you can add books from the Sony store to calibre and then send them to the device. I assume these are DRM'd books and that calibre is simply copying the books over. Can support of this type be added for Kindle Topaz books? Right now, I can add them to the library to catalog them, but I can't use "send to device", I have to open the enclosing folder and drag-n-drop.

I understand that the meta-data would be unaffected, I'm just looking for a shortcut to copying.

Gosh, I just realized how lazy I sound
What extension do topaz books normally have?
Old 02-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean View Post
I have also edited the author metadata for my .prc files and sent them to my kindle via the 'send to device' button and the edited metadata does not transfer to my kindle. I haven't tried this with any of my .azw files yet. (I have the 0.4.139 update)

Jean
If your PRC book is old, then it doesn't support setting author metadata and your best bet is to convert it to MOBI in calibre.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:33 PM   #15
jkedmonds
jkedmonds began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Kovid, I'm not sure if this is old news to you, but the metadata from Calibre doesn't hold when transferred to my Sony PRS-700. When I initially transfer a file Calibre shows the data as being there, but when I view it on the reader or when I reconnect to Calibre the metadata is reverted back to the file's internal data.

Otherwise, thanks for the great piece of software. When I first experienced Sony's ebook Library the pain was almost unbearable.
jkedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote