Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #16
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacejock View Post
What I'll do is make up a PRC file and add it to the zip on the spacejock.com.au site. I nearly did so last night, although I was trying to keep the file size down.

Cheers
Simon
Simon -- Please post here when the MobiPocket format is available in your zip file and I'll download again.

I second the suggestion someone else made about selling books 2-whatever through Baen's Webscriptions site. They are well known among those readers of electronic books who like Science Fiction. Your books will be shelved alongside those of some of the best known and widely read authors.

Thank you for the first book. If I like it, it's highly probably that I will purchase others in the series -- but only if I can get them in electronic format. I have no intention of purchasing any more paper books.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:57 PM   #17
Spacejock
Hal Spacejock & yWriter
Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Re: obscurity .. yes, that is the problem. Walk into any bookstore and you face an overwhelming choice, and of all the thousands of titles on display there might be 100 to your taste, and half a dozen which would become your favourite books if only you knew about them. We can't take every title in the store down from the shelf and read the first chapter, which is why word of mouth & the internet have become so valuable.

New authors aren't promoted because there's no money in it. Why push a new author onto the front page (or into the front of store) when the publisher is only expecting to sell 3000-4000 copies tops? Makes more sense to put a big name author there and have guaranteed sales 10x or 100x that.
Spacejock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2008, 08:58 PM   #18
Spacejock
Hal Spacejock & yWriter
Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Simon -- Please post here when the MobiPocket format is available in your zip file and I'll download again.
I did it before I posted here originally. In other words, it's available now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I second the suggestion someone else made about selling books 2-whatever through Baen's Webscriptions site. They are well known among those readers of electronic books who like Science Fiction. Your books will be shelved alongside those of some of the best known and widely read authors.
My people are talking to their people, as they say in the movies ...
Old 06-06-2008, 10:52 PM   #19
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Thanks! I will give the book a try. But like Elsi said, I hope the other books come out digitally (for a price), or I won't be trying the others.

Thanks again!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:33 PM   #20
Spacejock
Hal Spacejock & yWriter

I had a meeting with my publisher just before Christmas, and they're promising to release the other 3 books in the Hal series as very cheap, DRM-free ebooks. Target date is February.

(When I say cheap we're talking AUD$5 or AUD$6, which is around US$3.50)

I've not released this news anywhere else yet, but I though this was a good place to let the secret out ;-)
Advert
Old 12-30-2008, 01:15 AM   #21
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
That's great news! I'm halfway through Hal and I'm really enjoying it. I want to buy the others in the series as ebooks, too.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:55 AM   #22
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacejock View Post
I had a meeting with my publisher just before Christmas, and they're promising to release the other 3 books in the Hal series as very cheap, DRM-free ebooks. Target date is February.

(When I say cheap we're talking AUD$5 or AUD$6, which is around US$3.50)

I've not released this news anywhere else yet, but I though this was a good place to let the secret out ;-)
Wow, great news Simon. Just finished Hal Spacejock (not quite really, still have to read the epilogue on my way home tonight ) and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
No offence to the other writers, but I liked it better than the other three sci-fi novels I read lately (Down-Time, Neptune Crossing and Strange Attractors).

ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:24 PM   #23
4youreyes
Enthusiast
4youreyes doesn't litter4youreyes doesn't litter

Device: kindle
Just downloaded it , thanks!!!!!
4youreyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:23 AM   #24
HarryPigg
Alleged Writer
HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hal Spacejock - class act. Well worth checking out.
HarryPigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #25
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Spacejock Fans check this out!!!

Hal Spacejock ebooks ahoy

I had a meeting with my publisher just before Christmas, where we discussed a few things about the Hal Spacejock series. The main topic was ebooks.

I'm a strong believer in DRM-free ebooks, and I also believe the price point should reflect the fact there's zero cost required to pump out each copy of an ebook. I put this to my publisher, and they were happy to go along.

You may not be aware that the first book in the Hal Spacejock series is available as a free download. It was released as a freebie when book 4 (Hal Spacejock No Free Lunch) hit the shops, and to date it's been downloaded over 40,000 times.

However, there are two questions which land in my inbox again and again:

1. When can I buy the Hal Spacejock books in (insert country here)?

2. Can I buy the rest of the series as ebooks?

The answer to question one is ... no idea. Sorry.

The answer to question two is ... next month.

Yes, Hal Spacejock books 2, 3 and 4 will be released as low-cost, DRM-free ebooks in February 2009, barring any last-minute hitches.

Text, RTF and HTML files will be included, and most likely a Mobireader PDB as well.

As for the price, the target is A$5 or so, which translates to US$3.50 at the current exchange rate. (Don't hold me to that - it might be a little bit more depending on payment processing costs.)

So there you go - both of my ebook goals met. Now I just have to pray people buy the things so my publisher doesn't see me as a deluded idiot with the business sense of a certain inept freighter pilot.

However, with all three books selling for less than the cost of one paperback, anyone with more business sense than an inept freighter pilot will see that it's going to be a pretty good deal.

Source: http://halspacejock.livejournal.com/112031.html
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #26
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
great news ! thanks Gibbo for the info !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #27
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I just finished book 1, and had a great time! Hal and Clunk are one of the best comedy-adventure teams I've run across in years! I'm really looking forward to more of 'em, can't wait for February...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #28
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Good news. And I hope the other ebooks will be a sucess too.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:15 PM   #29
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Thanks for the download! All these different file formats - in one zip-file. No multiple downloads, no format-shifting, no DRM removal... Aw, man, it's like Christmas Now I just have to find time to read it
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:43 AM   #30
Spacejock
Hal Spacejock & yWriter

One of the reasons the publisher has been able to go along with the ebook release is because I promised to do the layout/zip files/etc for them.

(Apart from the Hal Spacejock books, I'm also the programmer behind yBook, the freeware paperback emulator for Windows PCs. I've been working with ebooks for years, so my publisher was happy to stand back and let me get involved. That doesn't often happen, because publishers are even worse control freaks than your average author.)

Anyway, I've emailed them the zip files for all three Hal books (Second Course, Just Desserts and No Free Lunch) so they can check them over, and that means I've done my side of things. They're the ones putting together the ordering/payment/download system, and as soon as I get the go-ahead I'll let you know.

Cheers
Simon