Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-15-2015, 09:22 PM   #1
bobodude
Connoisseur
bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobodude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BooX M96
M96/i86 usb tethering/usb network ?

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the M96 or i86 support usb tethering, or usb network ?

thanks in advance !

(i am reposting this question, as my other post might have had a confusing title ...)
bobodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 04:18 AM   #2
Wong McGregor
Connoisseur
Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
How much do these things depend upon USB host mode? My, largely unresearched, impression is that they do. The absence of USB host mode would seem to be the primary reason why people can't get a wired USB keyboard to work with the M96. I haven't followed the T68 (still less the i86) because they are of less interest to me, personally.

Certainly the hardware would seem to be capable of it (its there on the M92). It seems as though it might have been enabled in the earlier firmware, since Booxter posted a video of a keyboard working with it (T68 in the video):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=242238

But I don't know of any source of the early firmware. The firmware posted on the wiki:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Boox_M96

largely post-dates that event and so would seem to be too late. I haven't tried this myself but a number of the people in the thread subsequently attempted to attach a USB keyboard without success.

Does anyone have a copy of earlier M96 firmware (that is, prior to 2014, Jul 21)?
Wong McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2017, 02:47 AM   #3
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I am still interested and researching about this (actually, I just started yesterday).

I would expect to be able to set up a network connection between tablet and desktop through normal android tethering, but the checkbox in the settings interface, called through

adb shell am start -n com.android.settings/.TetherSettings

and which normally starts the network, on the T68 and the i86 instead opens the requester to enable exchanging files!

I am trying to set up a network via USB to test VNC through it (as planned one life ago). I believe some of the people here managed to. Otherwise, if when they wrote that they used VNC they actually did on the Wi-Fi network, it may be explained why some wrote about poor performance...

Last edited by mdp; 04-17-2017 at 02:51 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:46 PM   #4
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I managed to. Tests done on a T68 "Lynx". Further tests later.
-- I had to root the device, using cydia
-- after connecting through `adb shell`, and having become root through `su`,
-- one can enable RNDIS and assign an address through
`setprop sys.usb.config rndis ; ifconfig rndis0 192.168.42.123 `
consecutive, using the semicolon, since the first command will disconnect the ADB.

Among the problems I experienced: for some reason the usb0 interface on the desktop system (the network is made by a rndis0 interface on Android and a usb0 interface on the desktop system) disconnects often and without apparent reason.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote