Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
adithyau
adithyau began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3 SSH access,Backup Help - Newbie Here

Hi

I just have got my Kindle 3 and i am intended to jailbreak,hack,tweak it

Firmware Version: Kindle 3.0.3, Kindle Wifi Version

Background:Since i have worked with servers(basic installation,tweaking etc) ,i have sufficient basic knowledge regarding SSH, Linux commands etc.

Wishes:
1.To install screen-saver and font hacks on kindle 3 and other hacks
2.To gain SSH access to my kindle 3
3.Install and try out duokan firmware
4.Other hacks and tweaks

I think 1,3 are easy ones as there are well documented guides available in mobileread itself

But before i jump in i need to take backups of all system files and settings etc of my kindle 3 and the steps to be taken if something bad happens while playing with kindle 3. Would be grateful if anyone can point me to a guide for this

And i am still confused regarding how to gain SSH access to my kindle 3, From my searching in this forum,found that it requires usbconnect hack . But no clear guide is available regarding that. So any assistance will be helpful

Would be grateful if any help is provided regarding these

Regards
Adithya

Last edited by adithyau; 01-17-2011 at 01:19 PM.
adithyau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
statethatiamin
Avid Reader
statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

backing up system files

It seems to me that the only way to backup the system files is to install usbNetwork, which, kinda stinks because it sounded like you wanted to make backup *before* you starting tweaking things.

Steps:
1) Jailbreak
2) usbNetwork
3) Menu-Search ( ";debugOn", "~usbNetwork")
4) telnet <to your kindle's IP>
Viola! Shell access!

From there you might want to "dd" the filesystem to local or "cp -R" starting at the root.
statethatiamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #3
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by statethatiamin View Post
From there you might want to "dd" the filesystem to local or "cp -R" starting at the root.
Could you give me the specific dd command for this if I want to save this to /mnt/us/rootfsbackup.img?? I tried some different things in /dev/ but they just took more than 8 hours (I canceled) or locked up and restarted my Kindle.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
statethatiamin
Avid Reader
statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.statethatiamin is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
Could you give me the specific dd command
Oh, I'm sorry! My dd syntax is a little rusty so I can't help you there
I wouldn't want to guess and be wrong because dd is one of those things you never want to be wrong about :P

Do you think " cp -R" would suffice? That's what I used. You could also maybe use "synctree" or "rsync" and make a running log of your changes and branches
statethatiamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:12 AM   #5
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry! My dd syntax is a little rusty so I can't help you there
I wouldn't want to guess and be wrong because dd is one of those things you never want to be wrong about :P

Do you think " cp -R" would suffice? That's what I used. You could also maybe use "synctree" or "rsync" and make a running log of your changes and branches
But would 'cp' be able to copy the entire root directory, including the files in use?

And what would be the "source" for the command? "/"? or something like "/dev/sda" for Kindles

Last edited by kranu; 01-18-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:56 AM   #6
adithyau

Quote:
It seems to me that the only way to backup the system files is to install usbNetwork, which, kinda stinks because it sounded like you wanted to make backup *before* you starting tweaking things.

Steps:
1) Jailbreak
2) usbNetwork
3) Menu-Search ( ";debugOn", "~usbNetwork")
4) telnet <to your kindle's IP>
Viola! Shell access!

Hi thanks for the reply
Did the first 2 part easily
Installed

update_jailbreak_0.4.N_k3w_install.bin
update_usbnetwork_0.30.N_k3w_install.bin

There is a usbnetwork folder created

i did menu - search and typed ";debug on" no change ?
Please guide me regarding steps 3 and 4
Old 01-18-2011, 04:34 AM   #7
theHippo
theHippo will become famous soon enoughtheHippo will become famous soon enoughtheHippo will become famous soon enoughtheHippo will become famous soon enoughtheHippo will become famous soon enoughtheHippo will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3G
Does this post help?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...85&postcount=8
theHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:25 AM   #8
adithyau

^^It helped though i dont want wifi ssh access

Ok guys thanks a lot After extensive searching in the forum, finally gained SSH access

For newbies here are the steps

1. Download jailbreak and usbnetwork from
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004

2. Unzip both files and select appropriate file of install according to your kindle
(As always, k2 means K2 US, k2i means K2 GW, dx means KDX US, dxi means KDX GW, dxg means KDX Graphite, k3g means K3 3G (US [B006]), k3w means K3 WiFi [B008] and k3gb means K3 3G (UK [B00A]).

3.Copy the file in the kindle; First just copy jailbreak

4. Eject kindle. Click Menu >>settings. In settings select Update Your Kindle

5. Jailbreak will get installed

6. Repeat the steps to install usbnetwork

SSH access on Windows 7

Mount kindle and see and edit file \usbnet\etc\config file
The file must be saved in Unix format itself. Using notepad ++ is convenient here
I edited the host and kindle IP to my requirement in that file

Now eject the kindle
go to menu>>Search in kindle and type ";debugOn" and press "search my items", then type "~usbNetwork" and press "search my items"

Now connect the kindle to computer
The device will fail to install. Since RNDIS/Ethernet controller is not supported
To overcome this install Microsoft-Windows-Mobile-Device-Cente

http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-W...-10714488.html

In case of vista and windows 7 even after installation it wont work
There is a solution for this

Quote:
I couldn't get Vista to recognize the RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget automatically (after I installed the Windows Mobile Device Center). So I canceled the automatic search-and-fail-miserably-while-forcing-me-into-a-never-ending-loop-of-despair driver search and went to the Device Manager. After much consternation, I found the following solution that gave me much joy:

Right-click on the unknown gadget and select Update Driver Software...
Select the "Browse my computer for driver software" option...
Choose the "Let me pick from a list device drivers on my computer, damn you!" option... Choose Network Adapter for the device type...
Select "Microsoft Corporation" for the manufacturer and "Microsoft Windows Mobile Remote Adapter" (newest version) for the Driver.
"Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device" worked as well.
Source: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=240

On my machine, the new ethernet connection was created as "Local Area Connection 3" and shows up as "DIRECTV HDPC20". YMMV

Go into Start -> Control Panel -> Network & Sharing Center.
Click on "Change Adapter Settings"

Do a right click on your main network adapter, click on the "Sharing" tab
Check the "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet Connection"

Click "OK"
You will get prompted that the adapter interface will be changed to "192.168.0.1". That's okay, confirm.

Now go and edit the other network adapter "DIRECTV HDPC20" (or whatever it's called on your machine)
Click on the "Internet Protocol Version 4" and "Properties"
change the IP address from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.2.1 , subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

Validate with OK.

Open a command line (windows + R, cmd)
(Note Telnet isn't activated by default in Vista / Windows 7, go into the Control Panel and select "Programs and Features", click "Turn Windows Features on or Off" and check "Telnet Client").

telnet 192.168.2.2

One can also use putty
The default root password is blank and just press enter

Last edited by adithyau; 01-18-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:51 AM   #9
azit
azit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with others

Device: kindle
After I started usbNetwork, I did a backup using rsync. The kindle has rsync on it so I did a full backup but excluded /proc and /sys.
azit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:47 AM   #10
adithyau

Quote:
Originally Posted by azit View Post
After I started usbNetwork, I did a backup using rsync. The kindle has rsync on it so I did a full backup but excluded /proc and /sys.
please share the commands you used to do backup

Thanks guys
Already have learnt and did
1. SS and fonts hack
2. Jailbreak
3. SSH access over putty
4. Duokan Firmware install

Anything else that i can do

PS: Love this forum One just needs patience and search exhaustively and can find any kindle3 hacks and help

Last edited by adithyau; 01-18-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #11
azit
azit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with othersazit plays well with others

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by adithyau View Post
please share the commands you used to do backup
$ rsync -avz --exclude /proc --exclude /sys root@k:/ k
$ grep '\<k\>' /etc/hosts
192.168.2.2 k kindle
$ ls k
bin dev etc lib linuxrc mnt opt sbin sc1 test tmp usr var
azit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #12
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
I have created small update for Kindle 3. It make File Sytems backup (excluding userstore) and places it into Kindle root directory (Userstore).
http://www.audi-bel.com/kindle/update_backup_0.01.zip
Backuping can take ~10min. Backup size will be near 700Mb so you must have free space on userstore.

P.S. Restore can be done via Serial line
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #13
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
I have created small update for Kindle 3. It make File Sytems backup (excluding userstore) and places it into Kindle root directory (Userstore).
http://www.audi-bel.com/kindle/update_backup_0.01.zip
Backuping can take ~10min. Backup size will be near 700Mb so you must have free space on userstore.

P.S. Restore can be done via Serial line
Do you have the source code for this?

Thanks =)
Old 01-20-2011, 02:41 AM   #14
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
Do you have the source code for this?
Thanks =)
Actually, update executes this code:
Code:
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0_7688.dmp bs=512 count=7688
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.dmp
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p2 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p2.dmp
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p3 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p3.dmp
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:22 AM   #15
adithyau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
Actually, update executes this code:
Code:
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0_7688.dmp bs=512 count=7688
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.dmp
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p2 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p2.dmp
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p3 of=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p3.dmp
I executed the above command and it created backup files which are safe in my system right now
Thanks

Now how to restore it via serial line. I searched in this forum and found that it requires custom made serial to USB line ports which i cant make
Any easy/alternative to get serial console