Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 07:45 PM   #16
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Keep an eye on CES 2010 in Las Vegas -- it's barely four weeks away -- as it will have a whole section devoted to e-book readers. A Kindle 3 might be shopped around there ... but I'd expect a new model to leverage the current strengths and add some improvements.

The keyboard is awkward at best -- good enough for a wikipedia search term. Still ....

It would be nice to add ONE font -- so users can have a choice serif or san serif; do we book readers really need more than that?

Certainly fix the lack of folders thing (but do that for Kindle 2 as well!).

Additional storage via a simple SDHC card up to at least 16 GB would be a plus.

Continued improvement in the "read to me" function with perhaps a couple of other "voices.

It might be nice to have wifi as backup to wireless but I'm not sure I want to pay extra for it. Still, if that would allow "free" syncing of the PC edition internationally or even transferring of documents via free wifi that would simplify USB transfers.

Or what about access to a wifi "cloud" drive like Windows Live SkyDrive?

One or two add-on apps like alternate personalised screensaver -- in fact anything which personalises the unit.

And up the ante a little for International Edition users in Canada -- like add photos to wireless delivery of magazines etc. It feels a little like a penalty box right now.

And maybe an option for Internet delivery to Amazon Kindle PC as an alternative to wireless to save the $2 surcharge on everything.

Whatever is added don't break all the good stuff. I really like it just as it is.

Last edited by SensualPoet; 12-08-2009 at 07:49 PM.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:29 PM   #17
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic
edge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2 International
Yikes, I thought these "next version" threads only showed up about iPhones :S Oh well... it can be fun to dream. However, if you always wait for the next version to come out, you'll never actually ever own or enjoy anything. There will always be a next version...
edge777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #18
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Hardware wise, I'd like an SD card slot, and a user-replaceable battery. I sure wouldn't mind a touchscreen with real handwriting recognition to allow simpler markup with a stylus. If it's good enough, you could drop the keyboard, which would save some real estate. But really it's the SD card slot and battery I'd like most.

Software wise I'd like to be able to search across pdfs and to be able to highlight and annotate pdfs and I'd like to have tags or folders and I'd like it to be able to read any format--even DRMed formats and I'd like Amazon to drop its proprietary format and sell its e-books to anyone.... But I would be happy with the pdf and folders improvements.

I guess that pretty much covers it.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #19
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
Personally, I'll gladly take the K2. If the "K3" comes out and it is significantly different/better I may consider upgrading but then again, it is an e-reader, how fancy do you want it right?
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #20
BigWaffles
Enthusiast
BigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-books

Device: K2, KDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaggisMacJedi View Post
...See what's happening here? Honestly, it's an electronic book, meant for reading books. How fancy do you need your black ink on a blank page device to be? I mean really, other than the books, do you really need all the other bells and whistles? Most people have a laptop, smartphone, droid phone, PSP, or some other gizmo that picks up the internet for browsing, so it's not necessary for their e-reader be able to surf the web...
Thank you HaggisMacJedi! It's a reader for reading books. If you want color, web surfing, touch screen and a laundry monitor, get a netbook. Keep it simple enough to enjoy.

C.P.T.
BigWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #21
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherslock View Post
Personally, I'll gladly take the K2. If the "K3" comes out and it is significantly different/better I may consider upgrading but then again, it is an e-reader, how fancy do you want it right?
apparently some people want it to be theri significant other, make the coffee, plan dinner, and not hog the covers.

but you're right! it's an ereader! and this discussion seems to go on and on! it's not an alternate MP3, receiver of email, date scheduler.... etc etc etc
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #22
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I'd expect that the next announcement would be to announce that the DX will be available internationally - as for the software, improved PDF viewing would be prime, I'd have thought...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #23
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I recently lost my Kindle 1, and so I took my daughter's (not like she was using it!) I want to have a backup (if I hadn't had a backup when I lost mine, I would have been upset). But the fact that the current iteration doesn't have a user-replaceable battery or an SD slot is a real drawback. Of course, if I look at how much $$ I have saved at the bookstore, and how much I use my kindle, even at 2x the price, I figure it was a good deal. If something comes out next year, maybe I will bite just to have the backup.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:39 AM   #24
gigercounter
Banned
gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gigercounter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none yet
I heard a few K3 rumours- they are going to copy the nook.
gigercounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:44 AM   #25
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigercounter View Post
I heard a few K3 rumours- they are going to copy the nook.
give it up already. there is no troll of the year award here
Old 12-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #26
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:39 AM   #27
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
love the pic!

can't the troll simply be banished? has it done one positive thing since it's been here? it actually made a personal attack in another thread
Old 12-13-2009, 10:19 AM   #28
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
love the pic!

can't the troll simply be banished? has it done one positive thing since it's been here? it actually made a personal attack in another thread
Unless mine eyes deceive me, it appears that your wish has been granted.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
gigercounter has left the building.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
I'd expect that the next announcement would be to announce that the DX will be available internationally
This has already been announced (for "sometime next year"). All we're waiting for are the specifics such as the date.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote