Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-11-2016, 03:38 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This thread is dangerous because of the hate from the OP. Hate is not a good thing to be spewing like that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:50 PM   #32
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Er, that's why it's called "fiction" - because it didn't really happen. If it is an accurate depiction of events that really happened, we call it "non fiction".
But it's also called "historical."

Quote:
There is room for both fictional and factual depictions within the literary genre.
Of course, I agree. I have "no problem" with fiction except when people call a certain type of fiction "historical." It seems to me almost an oxymoron. I acknowledge that it is just a quirk that I have.

Quote:
The article doesn't agree with you. To the contrary, it specifically says that drama should not be judged primarily on the basis of historical accuracy.
I knew that the article didn't agree with me, but I thought that it was an excellent one; that's why I posted it.

Looking back on what I wrote, I think that I confused people when I said, "and it's not because it agrees with me!" I did not mean to convey that it did agree with me. The point that I was intending to make is that I think that it is an excellent article, and I don't think that way because it agrees with me. Whether or not it agrees with my thinking, I think that it is a great article.

BTW--I hope that everyone knows that I was joking when I said, "historical novels, period dramas, etc. shouldn't exist!" There's "nothing" that I hate worse than censorship--whether it is by government or by self-appointed speech police.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2016, 04:51 PM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
But it's also called "historical."
Let's look in the dictionary and see what the word "historical" means, shall we?

According to my Chambers Dictionary, "historical" means "relating to history" and "history" means "an account of an event". Nothing there to say that it has to be an accurate account, or even a real event!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:24 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Let's look in the dictionary and see what the word "historical" means, shall we?

According to my Chambers Dictionary, "historical" means "relating to history" and "history" means "an account of an event". Nothing there to say that it has to be an accurate account, or even a real event!
Sorry, but it has to be based on a real event or it cannot be historical fiction.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:29 PM   #35
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:

It certainly has to be "real" to fit the OED definition of "event", ie "A thing that happens or takes place, especially one of importance".
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2016, 09:12 PM   #36
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have officially changed my position. Well, at least temporarily. Sorry, those of you who posted replies; it wasn't because of what any one of you said.

I confess that it is a historical drama or historical something-or-another, but I have got to see this new movie, Sully, about the airplane captain (Chesley Sullenberger) who successfully ditched his jet in the Hudson River when both of his engines failed shortly after takeoff.

And, if I do watch it, I'm not going to pay $10 to watch it, $5 for popcorn, and $5 for the drink, at the theatre. I'll exercise patience and wait until it's released for home viewing.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 09-11-2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:28 PM   #37
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I have officially changed my position. Well, at least temporarily. Sorry, those of you who posted replies; it wasn't because of what any one of you said.

I confess that it is a historical drama or historical something-or-another, but I have got to see this new movie, Sully, about the airplane captain (Chesley Sullenberger) who successfully ditched his jet in the Hudson River when both of his engines failed shortly after takeoff.

And, if I do watch it, I'm not going to pay $10 to watch it, $5 for popcorn, and $5 for the drink, at the theatre. I'll exercise patience and wait until it's released for home viewing.
The captain and co-pilot went into the flight simulator with the actors.
Sully had a lot of input.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:32 PM   #38
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
The captain and co-pilot went into the flight simulator with the actors.
Sully had a lot of input.
You mean . . . . it was done on a simulator and they didn't ditch a real plane to make the movie!
Old 09-11-2016, 11:00 PM   #39
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You mean . . . . it was done on a simulator and they didn't ditch a real plane to make the movie!
Would you trust a Bosom Buddy or Forrest Gump with a plane?

Yes I want to see the movie too.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:22 PM   #40
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
...I confess that it is a historical drama or historical something-or-another, but I have got to see this new movie, Sully, about the airplane captain (Chesley Sullenberger) who successfully ditched his jet in the Hudson River when both of his engines failed shortly after takeoff...
Well, you will get to discover how to turn a couple of hundred seconds of history into a couple of hundred of minutes of movie (and isn't Tom looking old?).

Even if watching at home, you will find that you need popcorn, many drinks and maybe a good book to read if you do not want to fall asleep during the other eleven and a half thousand or so seconds. Those are a departure from reality and are perhaps able to be described as fictional history, which is rather like historical fiction but is always much more of a lie (I have worked in the aviation industry and been exposed to investigations into incidents, that not in the USA though but it seems that those familiar in the USA agree).
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:30 PM   #41
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Well, you will get to discover how to turn a couple of hundred seconds of history into a couple of hundred of minutes of movie (and isn't Tom looking old?).

Even if watching at home, you will find that you need popcorn, many drinks and maybe a good book to read if you do not want to fall asleep during the other eleven and a half thousand or so seconds. Those are a departure from reality and are perhaps able to be described as fictional history, which is rather like historical fiction but is always much more of a lie (I have worked in the aviation industry and been exposed to investigations into incidents, that not in the USA though but it seems that those familiar in the USA agree).
If I heard the interviews correctly, the movie focuses more on the NTSB investigation than on the crash itself.
On Tom:Is he old or is it the makeup since Sully in real life is a bit older than Tom Hanks.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 09-11-2016 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:04 AM   #42
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
If I heard the interviews correctly, the movie focuses more on the NTSB investigation than on the crash itself...
Yes, that is the near to a couple of hundred minutes that could perhaps be called fictional history that I referred to.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:29 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sorry, but it has to be based on a real event or it cannot be historical fiction.
I disagree. Historical fiction is simply fiction that is set in the past. There's no obligation on the author to accurately depict historical events. An example is that mentioned in the article originally linked to: Winston Graham's "Poldark" novels. They don't accurately depict historical events, but nobody would claim that they aren't historical fiction as a result of that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:17 AM   #44
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Hogan's Heroes ??? !!!!
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:46 AM   #45
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
So is the OP suggesting that all fiction should be set in the year it was published?
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote