Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
EbookNovice
Banned
EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Anyone here tried an Amazon E-Book Reader?

Hey all, I'm using a Sony PRS-T2 as my E-book reader device. I've only ever used a PRS-T1 and PRS-T2. I just wanted to know how other devices, in particular the devices from Amazon compare with the Sony experience.

The PRS-T2 hardware has been great and I can't complain about the hardware. I'm using the inbuilt Evernote functionality as described here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...28#post2668728 and so far, so good. However, it's a bit frustrating that there isn't a complete 'cloud solution' and that a lot of it is left up to the Sony Reader PC app.

Thank you!
EbookNovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I much prefer any of the Sonys I have, over the Kindle I have. I simply find them nicer, and easier to use.

I use Calibre (never use the Sony stuff) and have also installed Alf's Tools (which you need to research outside the Forum).

To my mind, the perfect all-round solution.

Last edited by carpetmojo; 11-03-2013 at 05:22 AM.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
For me, my skin doesn't play nice with capacitive touch screens (you should see me trying to get an elevator button activated that uses it). So even though I was a bit tempted when the Paperwhite first came out, I know it would be just maddening everytime I used it. And having to buy special gloves just to use it when it's cold since I read a lot outdoors even then makes me stay away from all capacitive screens.

I use Calibre also, and although I prefer to sideload all my books with it, I also have both SugarSync and DropBox (both give you more free storage space, enough to store complete libraries), giving me full cloud access and backup storage to all my books without having to rely on a single store's existance and their whims.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2; Sony PRS-350
Longtime Sony user here who recently bought an Amazon PW2, and I wish I had switched sooner. Although it is two years older - so I understand - my T-1 seems like a much clunkier device than the PW2.

Cloud storage is fantastic; any notes added to books are automatically synced as well. Text appears crisper than on my T-1, and the light is much more useful than I would have thought. Add the Amazon ecosystem to that and I am one happy reader.

You may not agree, however. If the PW2 does handwritten notes, I haven't found it so far.
FacebookVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacebookVirus View Post
Longtime Sony user here who recently bought an Amazon PW2, and I wish I had switched sooner.
[snip] any notes added to books are automatically synced as well.
Can you sort the notes on the device and thus use them as index?
hansl
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #6
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader
FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FacebookVirus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sort of. Any notes I add as well as any text I highlight within books is added to a file called MyClippings, and it is a single file.

The book, time, and exact location within the book is given.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
hansl
Zealot
hansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookhansl has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Sony PRS-T3S, CoolReader on 4'' Android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacebookVirus View Post
Sort of. Any notes I add as well as any text I highlight within books is added to a file called MyClippings, and it is a single file.

The book, time, and exact location within the book is given.
That means I could convert it to a spread sheet and sort that but probably not on the PW2 directly and there is no functional link into the referenced book?

Suppose I have a thousend notes, I am alone in the wilderness with my (your ) PW2, no network of any kind, no phone, no tablet, no other kind of computer or any other device which might connect or could have connected to Amazon, except the PW2 mentioned above, are the notes on the PW2, could I sort them on the PW2, and find the entry "Frodo" in the "F"-section, given that "Frodo" is one of the thousand notes?

Thanks,
hansl
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
FacebookVirus
Hybrid reader

"... no phone, no tablet ..."

Maybe a tablet would be the better tool for you.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansl View Post
That means I could convert it to a spread sheet and sort that but probably not on the PW2 directly and there is no functional link into the referenced book?

Suppose I have a thousend notes, I am alone in the wilderness with my (your ) PW2, no network of any kind, no phone, no tablet, no other kind of computer or any other device which might connect or could have connected to Amazon, except the PW2 mentioned above, are the notes on the PW2, could I sort them on the PW2, and find the entry "Frodo" in the "F"-section, given that "Frodo" is one of the thousand notes?

Thanks,
hansl
If you know what book it's from, you can view all your notes from within the book. Menu ==> View Notes & Marks,

You can also try Search this book on the My Clippings document, although I actually think it doesn't get indexed since it already exists after the first note and thus doesn't get re-indexed. Maybe we should speak to Amazon about that, but you could also cut and paste the file to your computer, let the Kindle sense it's absence and then replace it, thus forcing a re-index.

If you have a thousand notes, this might be worth doing.

Then just search "frodo" and read the note which will have detailed information about where it came from.

Or write a kindle hack to turn the My clippings file into a dictionary-like indexed mobi. I’m sure you will get much thanks.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #10
EbookNovice
Banned
EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.EbookNovice solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I much prefer any of the Sonys I have, over the Kindle I have. I simply find them nicer, and easier to use.

I use Calibre (never use the Sony stuff) and have also installed Alf's Tools (which you need to research outside the Forum).

To my mind, the perfect all-round solution.
Alright, thanks. I'll look into Calibre... Why do people prefer Calibre to the Sony software?
EbookNovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbookNovice View Post
Alright, thanks. I'll look into Calibre... Why do people prefer Calibre to the Sony software?
FYI - I read a lot of Overdrive library books, which I usually download on my PC and sync to my PRS-T1. I've been told in the past that Calibre doesn't work for syncing library books - something to consider if you plan to read library books.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Calibre can't handle library books because they usually contain DRM. If there's no DRM (very rare from an Overdrive book) you could load it into Calibre. But why would you want to store just a rental in your library? I use the library for my permanently owned books that won't poof in 2-3 weeks.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Calibre can't handle library books because they usually contain DRM. If there's no DRM (very rare from an Overdrive book) you could load it into Calibre. But why would you want to store just a rental in your library? I use the library for my permanently owned books that won't poof in 2-3 weeks.
You can load DRM books into calibre & swns to device. You just can't manipulate or view them. The issue with library books is their time expiration scheme.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
You can load DRM books into calibre & send to device. You just can't manipulate or view them. The issue with library books is their time expiration scheme.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #15
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
It's not about storing books in the library. I find it easier to browse and download from the Overdrive library on my PC rather than directly on the T1. Therefore, the books are in the library on my PC and I need to sync them to the T1. Sorry to have dragged us so far from the OP's original topic.....
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote