Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Elektra Registry Database

A simple, light weight, database for configuration information.
Includes dbus communication for change events.

Unless shouted down, db root would be:
/mnt/us/extensions/system/registry

Will try to cook up a Lua binding for it (unless one already exists, I haven't gone looking yet).

http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/Elektra/

Which is what the lab126 kdb utility is linked against.

Not that anyone would want to go messing with the Kindle's configuration system.

ToDoList++
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, gee, I didn't write up "why", did I, my bad.

Take the case of two (or more) independently developed KUAL button applications that are inter-dependent.

A good (and currently broken) example:
The USBnetworking and the KUAL firewall (in which the user may switch between Amazon's firewall and our firewall).

When making iptables changes, the KUAL firewall needs knowledge of the current service settings made by the USBnetworking - without poking into its configuration settings or trying to parse the system state.

When making service changes, the USBnetworking needs to know which firewall is in effect and other 'private to the firewall' configuration information.

Hence, the KUAL registry database.
Which can provide an agreed upon API for these two add-ins to discover dynamic settings of the other.

USBnetworking, SSH over Wifi button: Which firewall am I putting a hole in?
Code:
kdb get $KDB_ROOT/system/kual/firewall/mode
KUAL firewall, switch firewalls: Is ssh over wifi currently allowed by USBnetwork?
Code:
kdb get $KDB_ROOT/system/kual/usbnet/ssh.wifi
And a zillion other combinations of things.

Each button action just does a 'kdb set ...' in its own part of the registry tree to publish its part of the current system state.

And with our own build, we can enable the dbus communications.

I really wasn't going to build this just to make it easier to mess with Amazon's configuration set-up.
Advert
Old 08-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral

news, in partial correction of the above:

kdb{,-full,-static} is a command line application built as part of building the library.

Now built for x386; once I figure out how to make it work there, will tackle cross compiling it.